Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How does the video of Palin killing a deer affect your opinion of her?
I like her MORE than I did before 43 31.85%
I like her LESS than I did before 18 13.33%
It has no affect on my opinion of her 74 54.81%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Why not just go to a store and buy a steak? You and Palin enjoy killing something personally? In Alaska some of these morons with rifles don't even keep/consume the meat - they just want a pair of antlers/bear claw above their mantlepiece. And throw away the rest (luckily there are some charities that take the meat). Shoot the tiny young and pregnant females that can't even run away properly. I have nothing but disdain for these kinds of 'hunters' The natives had it right and still do - you only kill an animal for survival and make damn sure you use everything.
Another -48 expert on Alaska, I see.

Perhaps if you read up a bit on the fish and game regs you'd realize that what you're saying is pure bs.

I know that it will be really, really hard to get your mind around this, but there aren't grocery stores on every corner in Alaska, and some of us prefer not to consume products from factory farms. Personally I consider the steaks in the local grocery store to be inedible and factory farm practises to be way more inhumane than hunting.

Palin's hunt was not typical of Alaskans; it was typical of lower 48 sports hunters. It's illegal just to throw the meat away, and yes, some of the game does go to food banks. So?

By the way, next time you get all up in arms about aerial wolf hunting in Alaska, I suggest you look up the Native American practise of "denning"...then come back and try to tell your story about how they only kill for food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 06:24 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
I have probably killed 30 or more deer in my life, a few moose and an elk or two...I killed them, dressed them butchered them and used every scrap of meat...The tough bits were made into sausage...I see no problem with hunting at all as long as the laws are followed...City folks just don't seem to get it though. The only ones that could have a legitimate beef (pardon the pun) are vegetarians.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
So because you've never done a thing that means it isn't done?

Nope, I've read too many hunting blogs written by Alaskans to believe that your statement "Alaskans don't" is accurate.
Are you sure the blogs were written by actual residents of the state and not sports hunters from elsewhere?

Alaskans do not tend to charter planes to go hunting. That defeats the entire purpose of doing so. But there are a lot of private pilots in the state as well and I imagine some of them fly themselves and friends out. But for the most part---no, we don't do things that way at all.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I have probably killed 30 or more deer in my life, a few moose and an elk or two...I killed them, dressed them butchered them and used every scrap of meat...The tough bits were made into sausage...I see no problem with hunting at all as long as the laws are followed...City folks just don't seem to get it though. The only ones that could have a legitimate beef (pardon the pun) are vegetarians.
It's amazing. They say "just go to the store and buy a steak"; I wonder if they even know where that meat comes from? Or do they think it isn't meat?

Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
All I can say is I want a hunk of flank so I can make some jerky!

Old 12-14-2010, 06:56 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Hunting is on the decline in the U.S. I don't think that this is good for her image or popularity ratings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBi_Hb23meM

I did not watch your video, I am not a hunter, do you eat meat?
I dare you to go vist where your meat is killed and how it is done, but they don't let folks in because there would be such outrage fro a lot of folks
all these self-rightous folks do not post democrats hunting and there are plenty of them, so climb off your high horse
georgia dem~

Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
I'm typing with one hand and hoisting a succulent LOOSE MEAT VENISON sandwich with the other. Delicious!!!!!! (smacks lips)

Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
All I can say is I want a hunk of flank so I can make some jerky!
Wish we lived closer.

Hubby just made a bunch of jerky.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:56 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Not a fair comparison since Cheyney got his man with a shotgun and Palin got her deer with a rifle at a much longer range. Of course, you know why nobody hunts deer with a shotgun. Jon Carry told newspeople that he remembered crawling in the weeds with his shotgun to shoot a deer. He probably lost a number of votes for that one since only a fool would say a thing like that.
That's not entirely true. While a rifle is much more accurate and capable of longer range shots, it is still very feasible, and common enouogh, to hunt deer with a shotgun. Have you not heard of buckshot?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Given that he has worked on the north slope, and that he has won what is arguably the toughest sporting event on the planet, I doubt it. Perhaps they are what the progressives claim to support, a family where both parents contribute to raising the kids and coing a share of the work.
You heard me level these accusations at her (or him, or anyone)? Interesting tater you've got in your ear. Am I obliged to live up to your anti-hunting stereotype? How about anti- 2nd amendment stereotype? Anti- self sufficiency stereotype? Anti- male stereotype? Maybe everyone should just accept with finality that we're all obliged to live up to your fantastic delusion of vast left conspiracy, hose down rural america with anti bacterial soap, force men to wear dresses and live in new world order cabrini greens eating plastic meat from walmart chubs or everyones favorite- low sodium tofurkey. Yeah, we'll get right on that plan.

Off in the WV forum the conservatives were whining. The louder they'd whine, the more they attract liberals. Clearly it's a mating call for lonely hearts. Con's this desperate... a band of gays can come and give you a big sloppy smooch if needed. I'd rather not watch, kind of pervy, and wish you'd just get a room because the noise nuisance is annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies