Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How does the video of Palin killing a deer affect your opinion of her?
I like her MORE than I did before 43 31.85%
I like her LESS than I did before 18 13.33%
It has no affect on my opinion of her 74 54.81%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:42 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
In the 50's and 60's signs were unheard of in the Great Nawth Woods as it was in the Northeast Kingdom. I used to live in Vt long ago...
These days shooting a deer on legal land with a written permission no land owner posted, can keep you from tracking and claiming your kill either.
I heard the law insist those signs go up when some horses ass hurts himself and sues the owner. Also can't enforce no trespassing if it's not posted, so if someone decides to use it as a graveyard, squat with a meth trailer or whatever other nefarious deeds? What about 4wheelers tearing up habitat and making a racket? It's not just about hunting. It's also about people who are not aware when they look at a map what is public land and what is private. If there's a better way to go about it than signs, I'm all ears.

I don't like the signs either but no one putting down stakes for their own use that doesn't abuse the land should be subject to harassment either. Eastern NC seemed to find out the hard way about being too generous protecting property rights when some foreign investor bought a slab of mountain and clear cut. Like Artic said, farmers welcome seasoned hunters, and that's as it should be. I've seen them strategically plant crops to attract them for culling. City boys wanting to live out weekend Rambo fantasies need a smack upside.

I'm unclear how written permission fails to be sufficient. Seems wrong to me. Is the tract you're on too small? Have they figured out safe zones & snicker through the chain link fence? The deer below usually stick to state/ county parks as if a petting zoo, then cross the line into residential neighborhoods at the first sign of hunting season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V1SJPKPE68

Annie: Below is a classic example of why deer need to keep their natural fear of humans. You can't treat them like pets, it only kills them. They've got a shot at having a full life in the wild, but the closer they come to us the more likely they'll wind up starving to death in winter or dancing in traffic. Cruel to be kind is running them off. Hunting seasons preserve the strongest in the herd & restore a healthy fear. They also reconnect humans with the land in a world way too abstracted for it's own good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3d3qUUk7o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:56 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Hunting is on the decline in the U.S. I don't think that this is good for her image or popularity ratings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBi_Hb23meM
Hated her before, hate her now. BUT I gotta say, as someone who hates guns and the second amendment, hunting deer is honestly humane. There are too many of them, and if people wanna hunt them it's good because it thins out their population.

Where I live, deer are pests and I gotta have some love for the people who hunt them so they aren't worse than they already are.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:30 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You don't own the world. It's customary to ask to hunt on private land and those gentleman agreements have gone on a good long while across the country. It's your own entitlement mentality forcing the legal notices up. Just like obnoxious Christians banning Christmas, then turn around blaming atheists for their own noise. Your state doesn't have open space available for hunting? Why should kids growing up in the country fear for their lives playing in their own yard? How is having a horse farm greedy? Dairy cows?

Being irresponsible about the use of firearms will be the death of anything you believe you're defending. You're defending a farce. You're free to live as nomad on the appalaichian trail if you're serious. The rest is entitlement to be abusive and disrespect the rights of all others, which in turn, nullifies your own rights.
It was never required to get permission here, never, it was a well accepted, long established tradition. When this was a frontier, it kept people alive (enabled them to hunt for food). I was on some state land during deer season on a mountain and all the way up along the edge the landowner next door put signs up literally 8 feet, miles from any houses or any livestock. That is ridiculous, pure and simple. That guy has been in trouble before for poaching and baiting deer, so I wonder what he's really putting the signs up for...

No one here is talking about being irresponsible and dangerous; dangerous, irresponsible hunters have never been tolerated. Farmers used to have some clever ways of dealing with those dangerous ones...usually involving manure...

Old 12-19-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I heard the law insist those signs go up when some horses ass hurts himself and sues the owner. Also can't enforce no trespassing if it's not posted, so if someone decides to use it as a graveyard, squat with a meth trailer or whatever other nefarious deeds? What about 4wheelers tearing up habitat and making a racket? It's not just about hunting. It's also about people who are not aware when they look at a map what is public land and what is private. If there's a better way to go about it than signs, I'm all ears.

I don't like the signs either but no one putting down stakes for their own use that doesn't abuse the land should be subject to harassment either. Eastern NC seemed to find out the hard way about being too generous protecting property rights when some foreign investor bought a slab of mountain and clear cut. Like Artic said, farmers welcome seasoned hunters, and that's as it should be. I've seen them strategically plant crops to attract them for culling. City boys wanting to live out weekend Rambo fantasies need a smack upside.

I'm unclear how written permission fails to be sufficient. Seems wrong to me. Is the tract you're on too small? Have they figured out safe zones & snicker through the chain link fence? The deer below usually stick to state/ county parks as if a petting zoo, then cross the line into residential neighborhoods at the first sign of hunting season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V1SJPKPE68

Annie: Below is a classic example of why deer need to keep their natural fear of humans. You can't treat them like pets, it only kills them. They've got a shot at having a full life in the wild, but the closer they come to us the more likely they'll wind up starving to death in winter or dancing in traffic. Cruel to be kind is running them off. Hunting seasons preserve the strongest in the herd & restore a healthy fear. They also reconnect humans with the land in a world way too abstracted for it's own good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3d3qUUk7o
The laws in the Northern New England states (NH, VT, ME) do not allow a landowner who does not post their land, to be liable for any injuries, etc., people experience when they use that land.

If someone uses another's land to park a trailer, make meth, etc., that would be illegal, posted or not.

I have seen major problems caused when a shot deer crosses onto posted land...absolute waste if they can't convince the landowner to let them retrieve their deer...

Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
From my experience, I'm doubting this unless it was in certain parts of the country. Most farmers here are happy to have someone shoot the "pests" as they see them.

He never saw deer or other wildlife as pests. He used to plant stuff around his fields that the animals would eat in preferance to his crops. He was a graduate of an Ag school and knew what he was doing. He LOVED to sit quiety and just watch the deer. Yes, he wasn't like most farmers.......he was one of a kind. The best.

It's a tradition up here that posting land can start a war of sorts.

Try not paying the taxes and see who really "owns" that land. Without allodial title you do not in fact own that land.

Perhaps it was the deer you don't want shot eating up your garden. ROFL

I wasn't refering to deer eating up my garden...........I was refering to the entitlement attitude hunters have regarding property rights. "Your land is my land." So how about I just walk up and pick the flowers you have growing around your front porch or the apples from a tree in your yard? I have just as much right to those flowers and apples as you do.......I am entitled to use your land as I see fit.......you have no property rights. Gee.....you have such a nice back yard.......how about my friends and I come over and have a picnic? Trespassing is trespassing.......whether you come on my property to shoot deer or pick apples off of my trees or decide to have a picnic in my yard. It is my property not yours..........respect that.

You must have never seen a youth hunter. And I know of some being killed here in recent years. Sorry but, I don't have high opinions of anyone who wishes death on others, particularly after crying over some animal.
When you make the decision to go out into the woods to kill, you are taking the chance that one of your fellow hunters will mistake YOU for a deer............too bad........ho hum......boo hoo. If you valued your life.......you wouldn't put yourself in that situation..........don't expect me to cry for you.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
When you make the decision to go out into the woods to kill, you are taking the chance that one of your fellow hunters will mistake YOU for a deer............too bad........ho hum......boo hoo. If you valued your life.......you wouldn't put yourself in that situation..........don't expect me to cry for you.
No chance of being shot if you own enough land.

The big danger I see is hubby falling out of the tree stand. It happens in our area a few times each year.

Also heart attacks from dragging the deer.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:14 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Harborlady, I sure can't disagree the way things used to be and the way things are now haven't changed any. It seems new wave people have no place in their heart to let the wild things be wld things. I am one of those wild things.

I must be since I can cross posted land and no one ever knows I was there. I may leave a few tracks, like boot prints, but that's it.

Some of these fools laws for fools need to be changed. If a hunter comes there and breaks his leg in the swamp and sues for it, he isn't going to win a law suit and if he does he might loose a little something else. I have this no surviver's policy.

Once on Rt 50 in Nevada, called the Most Loney Hi-way in America , I went there for that reason, I fixed a flat on a BMW motorcycle that belonged to a lawyer. In the doing I set some glue on fire, which made the lawyer spaze. For 28 years _ as a foreign car tech fire was part of any tire fix, so for me it was normal. The lawyer prosted loudly and in order to appease a fool I just wiped my bare hand over the burning glue and smeared it off taking the fire in my hand. I smeared my hnad in the sand and wiped the fire out, getting dirty, when I didn't need to.

I could see $$ signs in that lawyers eyes. He didn't know a thing about flat tires, probably 'nuthin' about bikes, the idea I might sue for a burn which I didn't get in the first place and etc.

Next time I find I am helping a helpless lawyer in a place like that I just might abandon him there.

A little common sence which ain't to common these days goes a long way with me.

Another hint on a real hunter is his rifle/shot gun will be dull and not have any shine.

I think to you any fool with a long gun is a byunter, when all it realy is , is a fool with gun.

I can't help that. But it might be a wizer idea to be able to tell the difference.

IMO man has become remote and for not much reason from the basics.

But then of course I am amoungst the last of the real knuckel draggers, a feat my wife appreciates.

All the time here on CD, I am told I have no education. Thats true enough. I wasn't able to attend college, I left home at 14 because home was living hell.

But I have another type of education only the wilderness can teach, and while it doesn't earn so-called dollars, it makes me Free. I think I prefer that to being helpless and dependant on so-called dollars.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I wasn't refering to deer eating up my garden...........I was refering to the entitlement attitude hunters have regarding property rights. "Your land is my land." So how about I just walk up and pick the flowers you have growing around your front porch or the apples from a tree in your yard? I have just as much right to those flowers and apples as you do.......I am entitled to use your land as I see fit.......you have no property rights. Gee.....you have such a nice back yard.......how about my friends and I come over and have a picnic? Trespassing is trespassing.......whether you come on my property to shoot deer or pick apples off of my trees or decide to have a picnic in my yard. It is my property not yours..........respect that.

The deer are not your property. Period. It's not the same as a garden or such. Check the law if you doubt me.

It's not trespassing, it's a very old and well established tradition that the laws support here.

Quote:
Crying over some deer but happy to see humans killed. Just another extremist, fringe animal rights type.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:25 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,985,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Hunting is on the decline in the U.S. I don't think that this is good for her image or popularity ratings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBi_Hb23meM
Hunting on the decline?

Maybe in the opinion of a gay vegetarian.

Hunting is no way declining. Ammo and gun sales have never been greater, and i'm not seeing an American revolution for a few years to come.

Reloads and hunting tags are at record sales as well.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:28 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Hunting on the decline?

Maybe in the opinion of a gay vegetarian.

Hunting is no way declining. Ammo and gun sales have never been greater, and i'm not seeing an American revolution for a few years to come.

Reloads and hunting tags are at record sales as well.
The great recession had an effect on that, IMO.

I know I'll be eating deer for some time. Yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies