Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,465,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's mean-spirited, and besides, it's incorrect to call it welfare. We all pay into the federal unemployment insurance fund. Do you consider social security to be "welfare" too?

We've been through the worst recession since the 1930s. Considering how much we've spent on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, I don't think it's a big deal to extend unemployment benefits to our own citizens.

its not mean spirited, its the truth

99weeks that's 2 years,

sorry but if you cant find a job in 2 years, something is wrong

you can get an assosiates degree in LESS than 2 years...and on the government's dime...or if you already have one, you can get another, of a bachalors

between all the grants and scholarships that clinton and bush set up, and the bush credit for tuition, and obama expanding them, it is so easy to go to school, ESPECIALLY for the currently unemployeed

jobs are out there, you might not get the exact job you want but they are out there, yhou might have to move, but people who actually WANT a job will do that (you go where the work is)

Quote:
We all pay into the federal unemployment insurance fund.
no we dont directly...the companies and corpotartions do, you as an individual dont

Quote:
Do you consider social security to be "welfare" too?
not if it was as it was originally intended, but in many cases now yes it is...btw the INDIVIDUAL does pay into SS, but NOT into UE

even the obama admin has just put out there are over 3.5 million jobs WAITING for people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 AM

56,989 posts, read 35,168,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I say that if he's been on his rear end for 2.5 years, he could have gone out and gotten an Associate's Degree in an in-demand field by now.
And who would pay for that degree?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,741,672 times
The last time I checked a person has to be immediately available for work to be eligible for unemployment insurance. This means immediately not when the semester is over. If the UE bureaucracy finds out the recipient has enrolled in any school they will remove that person from the roles and the unemployment payments will cease. IIRC the agencies will actually check college enrollment lists to see if any of the students are committing fraud by being on unemployment.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,283,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Community college:

71 dollars per credit hour
12 credit hours per term
4 terms per year

(71x12)x4=$3,408 tuition
Let's say 1000 for books
Total: $4408

Federal Pell Grants per year: $5800
Stafford Subsidized Loans year 1: $3500
Stafford Unsubsidized Loans year 1: $6000
Total: $15,300

Net profit: $10,208 year one.
You think a loan is "profit"?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:27 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,052,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
People with taste and deeper pockets might not, but unfortunately the vast majority of Americans are addicted to cheap crap, which of course means China to the rescue. Hat's off to your effort at any rate.
Most Americans can't AFFORD the good stuff anymore.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,791,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Call a spade a spade: Some people simply hate the poor and unemployed.
Some people simply hate... period. See and read it ALL the time right here on CD. It's quite obvious the people that are TOLD how SIMPLE things are to obtain. There are, as with MANY things in this country, loopholes so not EVERYONE gets all these 'handouts' for school. Usually the people that will actually utilize it.

Quick experience to share... When I started ringing this year (season) for Salvation Army, a guy (drug dealer) told me in so many words that the schooling he is 'receiving' was just to bide his time. After not producing very well for the SA they cut his hours. The last day we saw him we asked what was going on... he said... and I quote... "They told me to come back tomorrow. Yea right. I'll make triple tonight what I didn't make today and everyday after that". These are the types that get 'help'.

Me. A hard working, non-drug dealing man, gets turned down. Go figure. America the great. Whatever.

If you have only HEARD of these things and not actually LIVED them... hush up, please.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,724,752 times
Maybe in the future people will say 'between handouts' for employed in analogy to 'between jobs' for unemployed

Old 12-13-2010, 10:25 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,839,999 times
I think part of the problem is some arent willing to take jobs that they feel are beneath them.

With the amount of people we have unemployed and with the amount of jobs available there really shouldnt be 1 job opening anywhere

Old 12-13-2010, 10:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,724,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I think part of the problem is some arent willing to take jobs that they feel are beneath them.

With the amount of people we have unemployed and with the amount of jobs available there really shouldnt be 1 job opening anywhere
I assume current vacancies are mostly for highly qualified people.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
to bad that ding dong cant trade back that two and a half wasted years.what goes around comes around. amazing how people who cant collect find work and those the can collect cant. just amazing
Excuse me? Who said he's collecting anything? He was already way past qualifying for unemployment before the federal government decided to extend benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies