Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:39 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
You apparently read nothing I said since you are still asserting the same things with your personal attacks.

And as I've said for probably the 10th time, this thread is not about the wars or corporate handouts, it's about unemployment being welfare. If you want to know my opinion on the other items, start a thread or find the one I tried to start that no one would comment on. Then you will realize that I agree with you on those other two topics and you wouldn't have to feel such hatred for me anymore...but you won't do it since it's easier to hate me and spew personal attacks without any knowledge of my opinions on other topics.
i don't hate you andrea. lets have coffee cake, and throw it at each other.

if you are going to decry government spending, then tell me that wars and corporate prop-ups have nothing to do with it, well, um, those are bankrolled by the government, and i have no problem with people being helped, and i have no problem with the military fighting a just war, or anything like that. i just gave my own perspective about what is going on, and you chimed in (very loudly and with alot of vitriol) so i was just giving you back some of that. i confess, sometimes i like yanking people's chains. i put up another post on here about political bashing and hoping we could put alot of this crap aside over the holidays at least- so, sorry if i took it personal, but someone telling me to get off my azz and stop getting handouts doesn't know me at all, its almost laughable how that is NOT who i am. hell, i was taught to never accept welfare and like i said, unless i was starving and had tried everything else, i wouldn't take it, just because i was taught that you don't do that.

but i have paid in, and i put off getting it because there were people worse off than me and i didn't even know i could get 99 weeks until literally a couple months ago. i didn't even mention that, but every single check i got i expected to be my last. no one told me at EDD that i would be eligible for the extensions that i have gotten. when my check comes, you ask me, i would have said it might be my last. i knew i could get it for 24 weeks but i didn't know what else might happen. last year i thought it had ran out and i was literally preparing to live in my van. then i found out i had an extension for a couple months. its been nerve-wracking the whole time and its strange to be almost at the end of it and know you didn't have to worry about it that whole time but stressed as if every check was your last. i almost wish i HAD known that i could get it for 99 weeks so that i wouldn't have had a flare up of my ulcer (i have had one off and on since i was 22). believe me, i have not felt like i was on a free ride. maybe some do, who know the system, but apart from a couple months in SCarolina when i got a paltry 75 dollars a week for a few months, i had never received unemployment. i had no idea how it worked here. alot of people are like that.

anyway, i don't care, i know how hard i try and how much i want to be working. hell, i watch "the office" in envy. i want to work. i do. do i want to work in mcdonalds? no. will i? yup. i worked for a year in a laundry in SC for 7.50 an hour pressing pants, and it would get over a hundred degrees in there. i have cleaned many a toilet, been a short order cook, cleaned up vomit and poo, i have woke up at 3:30 in the morning to work a 12 hour shift and then went to night school. didn't get a degree, but i have credits and i have signed up for classes. its just that decent people trying don't like to be told that they aren't trying. don't want to argue anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post

if you are going to decry government spending, then tell me that wars and corporate prop-ups have nothing to do with it, well, um, those are bankrolled by the government,
Perhaps I misunderstood you then. I don't like handouts of any kind, whether to individuals, corporations or individuals/corporations in other countries. Trust me, my "vitriol" is not reserved only for people on welfare or UE.

FWIW, I hope you can find something soon as far as work goes.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Perhaps I misunderstood you then. I don't like handouts of any kind, whether to individuals, corporations or individuals/corporations in other countries. Trust me, my "vitriol" is not reserved only for people on welfare or UE.

thank you andrea. have a happy holidays. now, as promised.....

Attached Thumbnails
It's time to call a spade a spade-light-swirl-coffee-cake-maple-glaze.jpg  

Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post

if you are going to decry government spending, then tell me that wars and corporate prop-ups have nothing to do with it, well, um, those are bankrolled by the government, and i have no problem with people being helped, and i have no problem with the military fighting a just war, or anything like that. i just gave my own perspective about what is going on, and you chimed in (very loudly and with alot of vitriol) so i was just giving you back some of that. i confess, sometimes i like yanking people's chains. i put up another post on here about political bashing and hoping we could put alot of this crap aside over the holidays at least- so, sorry if i took it personal, but someone telling me to get off my azz and stop getting handouts doesn't know me at all, its almost laughable how that is NOT who i am. hell, i was taught to never accept welfare and like i said, unless i was starving and had tried everything else, i wouldn't take it, just because i was taught that you don't do that.

but i have paid in, and i put off getting it because there were people worse off than me and i didn't even know i could get 99 weeks until literally a couple months ago. i didn't even mention that, but every single check i got i expected to be my last. no one told me at EDD that i would be eligible for the extensions that i have gotten. when my check comes, you ask me, i would have said it might be my last. i knew i could get it for 24 weeks but i didn't know what else might happen. last year i thought it had ran out and i was literally preparing to live in my van. then i found out i had an extension for a couple months. its been nerve-wracking the whole time and its strange to be almost at the end of it and know you didn't have to worry about it that whole time but stressed as if every check was your last. i almost wish i HAD known that i could get it for 99 weeks so that i wouldn't have had a flare up of my ulcer (i have had one off and on since i was 22). believe me, i have not felt like i was on a free ride. maybe some do, who know the system, but apart from a couple months in SCarolina when i got a paltry 75 dollars a week for a few months, i had never received unemployment. i had no idea how it worked here. alot of people are like that.

anyway, i don't care, i know how hard i try and how much i want to be working. hell, i watch "the office" in envy. i want to work. i do. do i want to work in mcdonalds? no. will i? yup. i worked for a year in a laundry in SC for 7.50 an hour pressing pants, and it would get over a hundred degrees in there. i have cleaned many a toilet, been a short order cook, cleaned up vomit and poo, i have woke up at 3:30 in the morning to work a 12 hour shift and then went to night school. didn't get a degree, but i have credits and i have signed up for classes. its just that decent people trying don't like to be told that they aren't trying. don't want to argue anymore.
Not to worry. Some folks are just so strident it appears they don't know any other way to be........and fail to realize that such communication almost ALWAYS fails. I suppose it take some life experience to develop wisdom and compassion and learn how to get your point across without the use of a "hammer". Tom DeLay never learned that, though, did he? LOL

Your experiences are very compelling. Thank you for sharing. And you have my strongest wishes for a good break soon and landing that job which will get you back to where you should be.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times
Quote:

Then there will be some very, very bitter days ahead of you in life, as EVERYONE, at some point in life has to accept "help" from others, one way or another. At that point maybe you will learn the difference between "help" and "handouts." Seems obvious that you don't know the difference at this point.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:47 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,839,560 times
The New American Dream: Sprawling Tent Cities Filled With Tents Made In China

Old 12-17-2010, 02:09 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Good grief, we should let all these lazy unemployed bums freeze to death this winter even know they lost their job through no fault of their own. I am mostly a right winger myself, but reading through the last few pages of this thread made me sick. These are our fellow Americans who need our help. I am a Ron Paul supporter and his recent solution made a lot of sense. Cut the military spending and help all unemployed including the 99er's.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:50 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Good grief, we should let all these lazy unemployed bums freeze to death this winter even know they lost their job through no fault of their own. I am mostly a right winger myself, but reading through the last few pages of this thread made me sick. These are our fellow Americans who need our help. I am a Ron Paul supporter and his recent solution made a lot of sense. Cut the military spending and help all unemployed including the 99er's.
+ 1 for you

Old 12-17-2010, 08:56 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Then there will be some very, very bitter days ahead of you in life, as EVERYONE, at some point in life has to accept "help" from others, one way or another. At that point maybe you will learn the difference between "help" and "handouts." Seems obvious that you don't know the difference at this point.
There is a difference between a system that allows and almost encourages abuse, and asking for a temporary hand up while you get back on your feet. I am not against the latter, which is why I support a cap on all types of welfare.

People who put words in my mouth need to grow up.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:05 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Hey, if I had the cash to get to another state, I would move TOMORROW. My unemployment check can't easily finance a move because it is a measely $265 a week. If I were making like $400 a week, I would have had my bags packed a long, long time ago and stayed in one of those extended stays until I found a job.

For people on unemployment from AZ, FL, TN, GA, MS moving isn't so easy because your check is so small you can't pay the bills. The states I mentioned pay less than $275 a week in unemployment.

I am trying to find work from out of state right now. If I find a job, I may just put the move on a credit card or something.
Good morning,

I understand that people are different, so you may not see the opportunity I see in a free $265 a week coming in. It would cost $250 to $350 monthly to rent a room in someone's house in a nice area with low unemployment. You can find these on Craigslist under Rooms and Shares, all utilities, TV and internet are usually included. If I didn't have a car, I would take the bus to this area and leave my things behind at family/friend/storage or sell them for extra cash. A Greyhound discovery pass is $239 and will take a person anywhere in the U.S. within 7 days. It shouldn't take longer than that to get anywhere. It costs $149 from Los Angeles to Houston.

So, here's my plan if I were in your shoes:
Income:
-Unemployment: $1060/month

Expenses:
-Bus to lower unemployment area: $149 to $239 (one time only)
-Craigslist room in nice area with low unemployment: $250 to $350/mo
-Food: $200/month
-Local Bus Pass: $50/month
-Prepaid phone to take employment calls: $30/month
-Total upfront expenses: between $649 and $839

-Remaining funds 1st month: max $381, min $191
-Remaining funds 2nd month forward: max $530, min $430

That's more than enough to cover any miscellaneous expenses while searching for a new job. If one has kids, of course it would complicate things somewhat, but I would lean on family, spouse, etc to assist with that or follow the same path and rent a room with a female house owner until I found a job.

I believe the unemployment system should be converted to a job training / job placement program. This would truly help folks like you who are struggling to find permanent work quickly with less income interruption and uncertainty. I worked for the government in a very effective program that took this approach after Hurricane Katrina.

Last edited by Freedom123; 12-17-2010 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies