Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:49 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I say that if he's been on his rear end for 2.5 years, he could have gone out and gotten an Associate's Degree in an in-demand field by now.
actually, in most places, you can't go to school and collect unemployment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:04 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I watched the 60 Minutes episode about the 99ers and one thing that was overlooked is how these people did everything but MOVE! There was a lady that was a former executive in the Bay area. She had no house, kids or husband that was tied down to the area. She was renting a room in a house from an acquaintance. Sorry but no one was forcing this lady to live in the Bay area, one of the most saturated job markets in the world combined with one of the highest cost of living. I see that a lot. People would rather be unemployed for 2 years in California than move to Texas or some other part of the country to work. That is the real problem. I see the same thing in Arizona. People would rather be unemployed and looking for work so just they can remain in Phoenix rather than moving out of state to an area with a better job market.

The other problem I see is that people would rather be unemployed rather than work in a lower stature and paying job. Too many people think that because they were some sales executive during the height of the economy they are entitled to that type of job now. Some people need a reality check and need to start working wherever they can get a job.
that is a good point, but not applicable in all cases.
i myself have been unemployed for two years, and have started a small business in the meantime to try and be able to sail on my own wind, so to speak, when my benefits run out. and believe me, i spend part of every single day looking for jobs. but my field was admin, because i have always either been a musician, or a craftsperson, VJ'd etc- and tried to pursue two careers at once. so i worked alot of jobs and gained alot of experience but always, in my after hours, i had something else in the fire. consequently i did not go to school for something sensible, and i can promise you that even if i have to move back home (2300 miles away) i won't be sorry for having tried to do something without a firm promise of success. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

most artists work a normal job that isn't their career and their hearts desire while they pursue their hearts desire in the meantime. therefore, we have jobs that aren't very specialized or professional, where we have learned on the job. i was a receptionist and a manager of a store and a wide variety of other things. i made 31,000 a year as a receptionist. i lived GREAT on that money, even in los angeles, because i don't have debt, car payments, credit cards and never lived beyond my means. but drop it down about 20,000 and its a bit of a different story. any unexpected expense can knock you right on your azz. i make about 15,000 a year in unemployment. i can't sacrifice that amount of money to go work for minimum wage at a job that will not add to my resume nor keep me fed and a roof over my head. so people who were living on small margins in the first place are right not to give up their benefits until they can find a job that at least matches what the bare minimum they can live on. i know now that i can live here on 15,000 a year and not be completely without. now, if you were an exec making 100,000 a year and you are living on unemployment, which i highly doubt, then yeah, maybe its stupid. but i think alot of us were living somewhat paycheck to paycheck in the first place, and i personally put off filing for unemployment for almost 8 months and used my savings (even on 31,000 i was able to save) to live off of.

so i think that that is one good thing about being on unemployment- that you learn to do with less and you learn just how easy it can be. if you have children that is a different story, but with children its easier to find help in a trying time. when you are just a single person most people laugh you out of the welfare office. not that i have been and probably won't unless i can't even get a crust of bread off of the sidewalk. maybe i can go to the park and dress like a pigeon?

another good side of the economy is that alot of people are restructuring, getting their own small business going, or going back to school. in the next 4-5 years you are going to see a huge upswing in our educated workforce. lets hope there are jobs for them when they get out!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I have 'boyfriend' in quotes, because it is just that a 'boyfriend' therefore TEMPORARY

and dont tell me people havent recouped..they ONLY way you could not have recouped,,would be if you were to cash out...and 99% would not
Hey *******- having a 35 grand wedding this summer
You talk like you know but your probably some online loser anyway
some people that talk so much crap on this board - I would LOVE to meet up with them in real life

Old 12-16-2010, 07:13 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I watched the 60 Minutes episode about the 99ers and one thing that was overlooked is how these people did everything but MOVE! There was a lady that was a former executive in the Bay area. She had no house, kids or husband that was tied down to the area. She was renting a room in a house from an acquaintance. Sorry but no one was forcing this lady to live in the Bay area, one of the most saturated job markets in the world combined with one of the highest cost of living. I see that a lot. People would rather be unemployed for 2 years in California than move to Texas or some other part of the country to work. That is the real problem. I see the same thing in Arizona. People would rather be unemployed and looking for work so just they can remain in Phoenix rather than moving out of state to an area with a better job market.

The other problem I see is that people would rather be unemployed rather than work in a lower stature and paying job. Too many people think that because they were some sales executive during the height of the economy they are entitled to that type of job now. Some people need a reality check and need to start working wherever they can get a job.
That's one thing I don't understand either. Other people move across the country, or even across the globe with their entire family but a single childless person can't??

Old 12-16-2010, 07:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
actually, in most places, you can't go to school and collect unemployment.
wrong

Obama announces education help for unemployed - CNN

Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
some people that talk so much crap on this board - I would LOVE to meet up with them in real life
then maybe you should have used the adult word like fiancee

Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
If you're a "99'er", you are NOT an "unemployed person". You are, at that point, officially a welfare queen. This needs to stop being sugar coated or phrased in such a way that it makes these people feel better about asking for their handouts. If they're going to essentially live on welfare, they should have the stigma of the label attached with it. Sorry but I'm tired of someone calling themselves "long term unemployed" when they haven't been able to get one employer to give them a job in 2 years.

99er Alexandra Jarrin tells her story to CNN and sends letters to Sen. Sanders - Rochester Unemployment | Examiner.com
I think all those people could have gotten at least several part time jobs had they went for less paying jobs.
I know many who say they won't work for less than X, so guess what? They ain't working and we are paying a public subsidy.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:47 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
then maybe you should have used the adult word like fiancee
Moron
Thanks for educating me

Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
that is a good point, but not applicable in all cases.
i myself have been unemployed for two years, and have started a small business in the meantime to try and be able to sail on my own wind, so to speak, when my benefits run out. and believe me, i spend part of every single day looking for jobs. but my field was admin, because i have always either been a musician, or a craftsperson, VJ'd etc- and tried to pursue two careers at once. so i worked alot of jobs and gained alot of experience but always, in my after hours, i had something else in the fire. consequently i did not go to school for something sensible, and i can promise you that even if i have to move back home (2300 miles away) i won't be sorry for having tried to do something without a firm promise of success. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

most artists work a normal job that isn't their career and their hearts desire while they pursue their hearts desire in the meantime. therefore, we have jobs that aren't very specialized or professional, where we have learned on the job. i was a receptionist and a manager of a store and a wide variety of other things. i made 31,000 a year as a receptionist. i lived GREAT on that money, even in los angeles, because i don't have debt, car payments, credit cards and never lived beyond my means. but drop it down about 20,000 and its a bit of a different story. any unexpected expense can knock you right on your azz. i make about 15,000 a year in unemployment. i can't sacrifice that amount of money to go work for minimum wage at a job that will not add to my resume nor keep me fed and a roof over my head. so people who were living on small margins in the first place are right not to give up their benefits until they can find a job that at least matches what the bare minimum they can live on. i know now that i can live here on 15,000 a year and not be completely without. now, if you were an exec making 100,000 a year and you are living on unemployment, which i highly doubt, then yeah, maybe its stupid. but i think alot of us were living somewhat paycheck to paycheck in the first place, and i personally put off filing for unemployment for almost 8 months and used my savings (even on 31,000 i was able to save) to live off of.
What a load of crap. $15k/year is the equivalent of working 40 hours at the federal minimum wage. But you can't "sacrifice" your UE to go work for minimum wage? That is total bull. You are living off the taxpayer b/c you don't feel like getting a job, which is WRONG.

Sorry, but it's your own fault if you have no skills (which, if you've done a variety of jobs, I don't know why you would think that). If your art is enough to pay your way, fine, but if not, then you don't deserve a handout just so you can continue your art and you also don't deserve a handout just so you can attempt to start a business. Once you turn a profit, you should not be eligible for UE. I don't know how it works in reality but that's how it should be. Heck, any ol' Joe could get himself fired so he could receive UE to pay his bills while he uses savings or something to start a business. What crap.

The system is set up to allow people to mooch, and that is what is wrong.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
Braggart - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Except YOU didn't even make the money.

Nice personal attacks, btw.

Oh, and yeah, it's not a boyfriend if you're marrying him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies