Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:24 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
hey I didnt send no jobs overseas.I just spent the last of my savings starting an American made furniture company. The demand is there,people dont really want pressboard crap from china. at least I am trying not crying
Dang keyboard! Apparently, now my "REP PARFLECHE" button is jammed too! Why can't I rep somebody 20 times if I want to, especially if they deserve it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,831,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You think a loan is "profit"?
Xanathos is a troll, bro. Trolls don't have to make sense.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Plenty of welfare going to those who don't deserve it, just ask my Son and a cousin who works for a S.S. office, the things that you will learn about those who demand welfare, and don't have a leg to stand on for the reason why. There are those, demanding welfare, and get violent, yes i mean violent, the stories that i here are unbelievable but very true.

And no i am not talking about those of you, who rightfully deserve to get it.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Plenty of welfare going to those who don't deserve it, just ask my Son and a cousin who works for a S.S. office, the things that you will learn about those who demand welfare, and don't have a leg to stand on for the reason why. There are those, demanding welfare, and get violent, yes i mean violent, the stories that i here are unbelievable but very true.

And no i am not talking about those of you, who rightfully deserve to get it.
Why would someone demand welfare at a socially security office?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:04 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
to bad they forgot to mention the thousands of business owners who paid into the UE system and went broke and cannot collect a dime. they are the real forgotten ones. no safety net for them. I know I am one of them. we must find anything we can to eat and we do and it is possible, we prove it every day. these people can only work for a master who will take care of them and dont have the guts or skill to strike out on their own. our ancestors would be ashamed of their spineless offspring that demand the gov to coddle them for life
What an outrage! Good luck to you.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's mean-spirited, and besides, it's incorrect to call it welfare. We all pay into the federal unemployment insurance fund. Do you consider social security to be "welfare" too?
Welfare:
  1. aid to people in need: financial aid and other benefits for people who are unemployed, below a specific income level, or otherwise requiring assistance, especially when provided by a government agency or program
Yes, unemployment, and social security is welfare...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
We've been through the worst recession since the 1930s. Considering how much we've spent on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, I don't think it's a big deal to extend unemployment benefits to our own citizens.
Is everything going to be compared to the wars from now on? Try to stay on topic...

Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And who would pay for that degree?
Thank you for proving my point. I outlined exactly who pays for that degree on page 2. However, you didn't see it, thus proving that even reading an instruction manual on how to obtain a degree and get paid to do it is too much work for many people.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The last time I checked a person has to be immediately available for work to be eligible for unemployment insurance. This means immediately not when the semester is over. If the UE bureaucracy finds out the recipient has enrolled in any school they will remove that person from the roles and the unemployment payments will cease. IIRC the agencies will actually check college enrollment lists to see if any of the students are committing fraud by being on unemployment.
You have to be available to accept work. You can go to work and go to school. Just because you are going to school doesn't mean you aren't available to accept work. Not only that, but you actually get paid more to go to school than to collect unemployment. The people I know who are presently back in school are getting paid something like 7 grand a quarter when it's all said and done.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You think a loan is "profit"?
It is in the sense that your bank account has more money in it after receiving it than it did before receiving it. And since you don't even have to START paying it back until 6 months after you LEAVE school entirely, it's got a huge deferral status.

But wait, that's unfair. People should just be handed money. They're entitled to it all for free, right? That's why unemployment is better. You don't have to do things like, learn...cause learning is hard. And you don't have to do things like, have personal accountability and pay back the money you're living on for not working, because that goes against the entitlement belief.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:55 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,626 times
I wonder what kind of a difference it would make on payouts if people were required to pass drug tests to receive unemployment benefits and welfare?? I bet it would be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies