U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:22 PM

29,653 posts, read 32,059,264 times

Advertisements

I've always rejected labels. Even when I was very young they felt werid and stupid to me. I get a kick out of keeping people guessing. When someone else attempts to lable me I have an urge to do something opposite just to annoy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,473,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Someone needs to represent the middle, could this be the party of the people bypassing the BS on both the Left and Right?

Founding Leaders | No Labels
It already exists. Nolabels hasn't caught onto the policy approach of centrists.
Overview — The Centrist Party

But I agree, from centrist perspective, that no one party has all the answers.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Nothing like the tea party. tea party started with upset people at town hall meetings. It was started from the grass routes out of dissent
It was started by the deliberate installation of ignorance at the grass roots. Install enough bs in a persons ear the reactions are predictable. That is until they completely step off the deep end of non-reality.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 PM

19,891 posts, read 15,824,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Many of the founders of this movement made their money and careers due to the very political polarization they suddenly decry. Sorry if I'm cynical and question their motives and what use the donations will be used for.

Good point. Bloomberg begged the Republicans to run on their line. Labels seemed pretty darn important to him then.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Is there a middle on issues like:

Same sex marriage- The government never had a right to define the terms of marriage contract, only the individuals IN the marriage do. Other peoples marriage have nothing whatsoever to do with their marriage.

The Legalization of Marijuana- People need to be accountable for themselves and not bring harm to others in their actions. Harm to others includes children who do not get a vote.

Taxation of the Rich- We are all of us subjected to taxes to support the civilization we benefit from, rich are not exempt and never should be since they are the greater beneficiaries of that civilization (otherwise they wouldn't be wealthy).

Outsourcing- trade deficits are NOT a 'non- issue' in foreign relations, and reckless economic policy has a consistent track record of exporting slavery for profit. The only difference between us antebellum south and now is that slavery is NIMBY. Crime is being called honest business practice.

Racial inequality and bigotry and prejudice- the right to accept or reject ideas or friendships should remain with individuals. Any individual plotting against an American citizens with intent to dominate or annihilate should be considered a terrorist.

Illegal Immigration- Illegal is illegal. Why has government policy aided and abetted law breaking for 40yrs (both partys)? Policy needs changing, change it for stated purposes. Use the front door only to get your warm welcome from a nation of diversity. All others can expect my shotgun off the wall.

Cutting the Federal Deficit- End wrongful wars ASAP. Get health care costs under control and many problems are solved with one stone.

The War in Afghanistan- Git 'er DONE (with a sane mission). Foriegn policy needs limits & declarations of war need stricter guidelines originating from the will of the people, NOT a think tank.

Educational Reform- Parental responsibility enforced somehow. No meaningful solution to offer yet, but needs serious work applied in legal thought.

Discrimination of Gays, Lesbians, Transsexuals and Bi-Sexuals- defining discrimination better would be useful.

Renewable Energy- not optional. A must, but the better plans need to prevail via market demand driving drafting boards, not 'this is what you get like it or lump it'. Empowering people with choice is best.

Religious Intolerance Who is more intolerant? Christians of Islamics or Atheists of Christians? Intolerance of individual rights or intolerance of anyone having individual rights that fail to conform to your own personal choices? Boundary issues are blurry in public policy but remember that most of the freedom people enjoy should not be up for public vote. I agree with much libertarian thinking on this subject and social conservatives need to know their limits again.
Plenty of middle ground. You've just got to be willing to see that all sides are trying to protect something, and honoring that, solutions come more organically rather than heavy handed authoritarian ego BS. No law will be followed if it can't be practiced, or worse, selectively enforced to suit special interests. That's a leadership & legalese problem, not a people problem.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
What a stupid thing. As if labels are the reason for disgreement, it isn't. Differences are philosophical. Please tell me the middle position on abortion. Or perhaps you can enlighten us on the middle position on the death penalty.
Why can't you pay for your own philosophy with your own life? You need a posse for that? Not much of a philosophy then if it can't stand on it's own two feet.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If there is a national problem like severe unemployment, a war that is not going well, or the high cost of gasoline, people often vote in a new party, which interprets their victory as a ringing endorsement of their entire platform. If it happens to include a clause that Americans shall wear purple underwear, they proclaim "Americans have spoken, and they want to wear purple underwear!" (Perhaps that is an unlikely example, but you get the point).
Too bad CD can't invent a filter for ad hominem attacks. I wonder what would remain intelligible in the entire political forum. hahahahahaa

Old 12-13-2010, 11:05 PM

19,891 posts, read 15,824,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Why can't you pay for your own philosophy with your own life? You need a posse for that? Not much of a philosophy then if it can't stand on it's own two feet.
Oh Kay so I take it you now understand that the middle is an illusion. There is no middle ground in philosophical differences.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Many of the founders of this movement made their money and careers due to the very political polarization they suddenly decry. Sorry if I'm cynical and question their motives and what use the donations will be used for.
If the rules of the job are so sickening that the job can't get done without being corrupt yourself, I think it very appropriate that former employees of an industry point out the problems in an industry. Particularly ones who left on priniciple. In this case the industry is 'politico' DC.

BOTH sides regularly claim in election campaigns that corruption is running rampant but that corruption already happened before they sat in an elected office. It happened the moment someone decided it was A-OK to accept money for an elected office. The price tag of the presidency--- up to a trillion now? How is the next Thomas Jefferson supposed to get elected in this climate? We need to change the rules of DC. America is NOT for sale.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Oh Kay so I take it you now understand that the middle is an illusion. There is no middle ground in philosophical differences.
Sure there is, but poorly negotiated boundary issues are the real problem. What you do in your life genuinely is none of my business. It's what you do to others, and the demands put upon them for private interests, that is the real culprit. Your rights end where mine begin and when there is overlap (govt policy) both sides must be represented in proper weight. The absence of conservative representation is not the doing of liberals, but the failure of conservatives to articulate themselves properly.

Answer for yourself what is it you mean to protect with your philosophy and you will better represent that philosophy (vs seeking out cult of personality consensus). You also may find better ways of going about protecting it if you collaborate honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies