U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:24 PM
 
Location: In the desert
2,479 posts, read 1,868,133 times
Reputation: 1088

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Those of you concerned about "tracking" didn't read the OP very well.

I'm a HUGE privacy advocate, but I don't have a problem with this.

First of all, they're not "tracking" you. The web sites you visit (including City-Data) are employing mechanisms that are more intrusive to your privacy than what this device is doing.

Second, it's voluntary. Want to save a few bucks on your insurance? Let them plug this doodad in for a month, so they can see how fast you accelerate, how hard you brake, etc. Don't want to let them use the doodad? No problem - you don't have to, and you won't be eligible for the discount.

Third, it's a private company, not the government. If you don't like their business practices, you're free to look elsewhere for your insurance needs.

There's nothing nefarious about what they're doing here. Anyone that says otherwise is simply playing on your ignorance and your fear of "The Corporations™."
So far it is voluntary, later who knows?

If you think for one minute that insurance companies aren't doing this for reasons which include making a profit somehow down the road on this, then I have some property I'd like to sell ya.

I also don't believe most people 'fear' corporations, we just know that they don't give a dam about anything but, Their Bottom Line.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,475 posts, read 19,649,303 times
Reputation: 5586
My insurance company sends me a form to fill out every year before rates are calculated. One of the questions they ask is the mileage on each car I own. That tells them exactly how many miles I drive each year, with each car. That method is easier than hooking a devise to my car, and much more accurate.
If they want to place a device on my car for a month, I would park the car most of that time, and drive like an angel when I did drive. It's harder to fool them if you send in your mileage once each year...
Something else their devise might tell them, is how often you drive at excessive speed, etc. I have nothing to hide on that front...
They can put anything they want on my car if it helps the rates, which it will in some cases. I drove my truck 800 total miles last year. I want them to know that so they lower my rates...!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:34 PM
 
Location: Phoenix,Arizona
3,817 posts, read 4,541,011 times
Reputation: 3723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If we let them, these technologies will pave the way for black box event recorders on our cars, just like aircraft.
Voice your complaints and vote with your dollars.
Some vehicles computer systems already have this
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,767,199 times
Reputation: 7982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If we let them, these technologies will pave the way for black box event recorders on our cars, just like aircraft.
They already have them. The last several seconds (5? 15? something like that) of data is stored in the on-board computer. It was originally done so they could analyze the data in an effort to make cars safer, but more and more often this data is making its way into courtrooms as people are prosecuted either criminally or civilly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
 
6,486 posts, read 5,512,013 times
Reputation: 1267
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
This is another way for big insurance & corporations to 'control'.

If someone tells the company they drive x amount of miles per month & they sometimes go over this amount, it will allow the company to re-bill for additional miles.

This nonsense is getting out of control in regards to all of our transportation. TSA at airports, train & bus stations & now car insurance companies wanting to put 'data' trackers in our cars.

Next insurance will want to put cameras in our houses to 'monitor' us for safety & bill our home owners insurance according to our daily habits.

NO, I will not allow this in my car. I eventually see having to pay a higher rate for NOT allowing this though, so many people will easily just comply.

This is another form of controlling the masses IMO.
Controlling? No. But I could see that by accurately tracking driving habits and charging the bad drivers more, the good drivers would be lumped into a low-risk group and given the best rates.

Would I allow it? It would have to really be a pretty good discount.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:46 PM
 
Location: In the desert
2,479 posts, read 1,868,133 times
Reputation: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
My insurance company sends me a form to fill out every year before rates are calculated. One of the questions they ask is the mileage on each car I own. That tells them exactly how many miles I drive each year, with each car. That method is easier than hooking a devise to my car, and much more accurate.
If they want to place a device on my car for a month, I would park the car most of that time, and drive like an angel when I did drive. It's harder to fool them if you send in your mileage once each year...
Something else their devise might tell them, is how often you drive at excessive speed, etc. I have nothing to hide on that front...
They can put anything they want on my car if it helps the rates, which it will in some cases. I drove my truck 800 total miles last year. I want them to know that so they lower my rates...!!!!
Just a question....how would you feel if your home owners insurance wanted to place a camera/device in your home if they told you it could lower your rate?
Some things such as privacy are worth paying a little more for. IMO

Do you think it is for YOUR benefit that this is being implemented?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,767,199 times
Reputation: 7982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
If you think for one minute that insurance companies aren't doing this for reasons which include making a profit somehow down the road on this, then I have some property I'd like to sell ya.
Sure. They'll probably charge you more if you drive like a maniac, and they should.

Every other discount an insurance company offers is only offered because by qualifying for the discount, you're making them money. Multiple car discount? You're buying more insurance. Safe driving history? You don't cost them more than you pay them. Direct debit discount? They can automate their billing and reduce the workload in their A/R department, and thus the number of employees.

Like I said, ignorance and fear.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,194 posts, read 17,767,199 times
Reputation: 7982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Just a question....how would you feel if your home owners insurance wanted to place a camera/device in your home if they told you it could lower your rate?
Some things such as privacy are worth paying a little more for. IMO
Define for us exactly what your privacy concerns are. You keep ranting about "privacy," but you haven't explained exactly what personal information is being accessed and exploited, or precisely how your privacy is being invaded.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 PM
 
Location: In the desert
2,479 posts, read 1,868,133 times
Reputation: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Sure. They'll probably charge you more if you drive like a maniac, and they should.

Every other discount an insurance company offers is only offered because by qualifying for the discount, you're making them money. Multiple car discount? You're buying more insurance. Safe driving history? You don't cost them more than you pay them. Direct debit discount? They can automate their billing and reduce the workload in their A/R department, and thus the number of employees.

Like I said, ignorance and fear.
LOL.....I don't fear anything but, I sure as hell don't want any more "devices" than I already need in my life.
Ignorance would be thinking that big insurance is just trying to give 'lil ole me' a discount.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM
 
Location: In the desert
2,479 posts, read 1,868,133 times
Reputation: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Define for us exactly what your privacy concerns are. You keep ranting about "privacy," but you haven't explained exactly what personal information is being accessed and exploited, or precisely how your privacy is being invaded.
I am among many who do not trust government or corporations when they tell us things like 'it's for your safety', or 'its to benefit you', or 'it will help you save money'.

It doesn't matter what info is being collected. It's my personal business just how I brake or accelerate when I drive.
These companies sell, collect & trade all of our information.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top