U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:09 PM
 
19,489 posts, read 13,221,982 times
Reputation: 4887

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I agree with you as well, but it isn't getting fixed locally so what now? just drop it and move on?

I agree too the federal government can't tackle every problem but hungry children is pretty darn important and should be at the top of the list. childhood hunger should not be considered a "fancy that is being tickled", there are frivolous pet projects politicians engage in but childhood hunger is not one
As far as federal involvement goes, yeah, drop it. Like I said, its the feds who tell us our kids are too fat, and they tell us they are starving, and for both allegations, they claim the answer is to give them increased power, control, and tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:14 PM
 
13,500 posts, read 14,013,782 times
Reputation: 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
As far as federal involvement goes, yeah, drop it.
ok so locally it doesn't get fixed, we drop federal involvement and all we get is hungry children and the problem doesn't go away and children suffer. no thank you. glad this admin wants to at help hungry kids get at least one meal while in school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 PM
 
13,500 posts, read 14,013,782 times
Reputation: 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
As far as federal involvement goes, yeah, drop it. Like I said, its the feds who tell us our kids are too fat, and they tell us they are starving, and for both allegations, they claim the answer is to give them increased power, control, and tax dollars.
why it is ok for the state to take care of it via their programs but not the fed? we pay either way, either way it's "big brother"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,324,090 times
Reputation: 6451
Although a very healthy and wise concept, i believe still it is the job of the parents, to educate their children on good nutrition and exercise. These days, it seems too many want Schools, Government etc, to take care of our Children's needs, what happened to the parents responsiblity.

Because all of these healthy and wise choices that are being made on behalf of a child's School, does not one bit of good at all, if the Child at home, is going to pig out, on oily greasy, heavy fattening foods, with not a bit of exercse, no excuse to me for not exercising, when a parent says they cannot afford exercise equipment, guess what, walking costs you nothing.

Healthy foods, and good nutrition, exercise, we all i am sure as adults agree with this concept, which makes the most sense, but it does not make sense, when these guidlines are followed at school but not at home, what a waste of a good concept.

There are many ingenuis ways to get fit these days, without expensive exercise equipment, being lazy is not one of them. So many of today's overweight children, do not get any exercise at all, except for at school, and that is so very sad, place french fries or a salad in front of a child, what do you think they will take, so many of today's children, are raised on nothing but fast foods, how completely and uttterly sad and pathetic.

There are still ways to incorporate french fries into your diet, but it is not something that you need every day, you need a balance of fruits and veggies, along with protein and good carbs. I SEE so many overweight children, being stuffed, with cheeseburgers, maybe 2, icecream, frenchfries, although not my business, really pisses me off with the parents. Children learn, what they see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:25 PM
 
19,489 posts, read 13,221,982 times
Reputation: 4887
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
ok so locally it doesn't get fixed, we drop federal involvement and all we get is hungry children and the problem doesn't go away and children suffer. no thank you. glad this admin wants to at help hungry kids get at least one meal while in school
I see how it is, the world should be perfect, and until such time, we increase the amount of tax dollars flowing into Washington, and grow the power, scope and reach of the federal government.

Is there a tear jerking scam the feds cannot pull on you people, that will not cause you to give them more power, taxes and control? I think the answer is, no limits.

You cannot see the duplicity? They claim "our kids are fat, give us more money", they claim "our kids are starving, give us more money", they claim "our kids don't get enough exercise, give us more money". The feds claim whatever they feel they can get away with, in order for you to give them more power, more control, more authority, and especially, more taxpayer money.

We have states, and cities, let them take care of their citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:25 PM
 
Location: California
29,640 posts, read 32,009,846 times
Reputation: 24775
I don't see how this has anything to do with parenting our kids. No rights are being trampled on, nothing bad is happening. You can argue that the Federal Government shouldn't be in the education game but the fact is that right now they are, and setting nutritional standards is about the most positive thing they can do. There doesn't have to be ANY food at school, but if there is (and right now there is) shouldn't it be the good stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM
 
19,489 posts, read 13,221,982 times
Reputation: 4887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't see how this has anything to do with parenting our kids. No rights are being trampled on, nothing bad is happening. You can argue that the Federal Government shouldn't be in the education game but the fact is that right now they are, and setting nutritional standards is about the most positive thing they can do. There doesn't have to be ANY food at school, but if there is (and right now there is) shouldn't it be the good stuff?
Shouldn't the states run their own schools, since when did all our schools become federal property? Oh yeah, when we allowed them to start sticking their noses in our schools, the proverbial camel's nose. Maybe its time we stop encouraging that camel and slap its nose.

Before you know it, it will be just assumed that the federal government is in charge of feeding our children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 PM
 
13,500 posts, read 14,013,782 times
Reputation: 11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I see how it is, the world should be perfect, and until such time, we increase the amount of tax dollars flowing into Washington, and grow the power, scope and reach of the federal government.

Is there a tear jerking scam the feds cannot pull on you people, that will not cause you to give them more power, taxes and control? I think the answer is, no limits.

You cannot see the duplicity? They claim "our kids are fat, give us more money", they claim "our kids are starving, give us more money", they claim "our kids don't get enough exercise, give us more money". The feds claim whatever they feel they can get away with, in order for you to give them more power, more control, more authority, and especially, more taxpayer money.

We have states, and cities, let them take care of their citizens.
it isn't about give me more money we should manage the money we have better, attention is being brought to both issues because there is a problem. just because they are related by the word "food' doesn't mean either should be ignored. perhaps when the state does what it should the feds won't have to try to fix it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 05:23 PM
 
831 posts, read 1,309,672 times
Reputation: 2353
3 meals a day for 365 days a yr =1095

Kids eat luch at school 180 days a yr.

That leaves 915 meals for parents to deal with.

School lunch is NOT what is causing kids to be fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 05:47 PM
 
23,856 posts, read 16,081,892 times
Reputation: 8824
How dare they! If a parent wants their child to have the same saturated fats, high fructose corn syrup, empty calorie greasy, artificialy flavored and colored sweet snacks that they have at home, the school should serve 'em up. After all, schools are not supposed to educate and set examples. In fact, they should even have courses in counter nutrition and urge kids not to brush their teeth after eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top