U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM

26,807 posts, read 15,027,350 times

Advertisements

A daily school lunch is all it will take to whip the kids into shape
Nevermind the chips or inactivity at home.
Somebody please tell the Obama's: It's the parent's job, stupid.

Obama: Nutrition bill vital to children's future (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101213/ap_on_he_me/us_obama_child_nutrition - broken link)

Quote:
Mrs. Obama cited a group of former generals and military officials who have said unhealthy school lunches are a national security threat because weight problems are now the leading medical reason that recruits are rejected.
Oh good lord these people are shameless in their attempts to build the perfect nanny state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:08 PM

9,644 posts, read 8,352,503 times
Put Gym back in schools and allow the parents raise their child

Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,834,299 times
I don't understand why we can't universally support good nutrition for school children.

I'm sure this would receive acceptance or at least silence on the right if proposed by a Republican.

Tell me: in what way does this limit your freedom.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
1) Where gym has been cut, it has been done in response to budget cuts that seem to have been championed by the right.

2) How does feeding children nutritious food prevent you from raising your child? you still have the option to send your kid to school with a brown bag full of sugar. If that's more consistent with your values, please do do.

Craziness.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:12 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,688,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
A daily school lunch is all it will take to whip the kids into shape
Nevermind the chips or inactivity at home.
Somebody please tell the Obama's: It's the parent's job, stupid.

Obama: Nutrition bill vital to children's future (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101213/ap_on_he_me/us_obama_child_nutrition - broken link)

Oh good lord these people are shameless in their attempts to build the perfect nanny state.
I'm with you on this one! One more way to waste our money and be intrusive. They are even outlawing public school fundraising bake sales! One more reason to get your kids out of the public schools and FIRE the Federal Dept. of Education. Abolish it! We can save $100 Billion Dollars and regain some freedom!

Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Like sunlight to a vampire in a nanny staters world.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:18 PM

9,644 posts, read 8,352,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
1) Where gym has been cut, it has been done in response to budget cuts that seem to have been championed by the right.

2) How does feeding children nutritious food prevent you from raising your child? you still have the option to send your kid to school with a brown bag full of sugar. If that's more consistent with your values, please do do.

Craziness.
1-Maybe if we werent paying bad teachers and for a new nutrition program. Schools could afford 1 gym teacher

2Notice the word " Your" Child meaning NOT yours

If you want to send your child to school with a tofu burger so be it. But how about we not add more cost to the school system and just bring back gym

Do we really need a nanny outlawing bake sales. Heck we use to have bake sales and werent obese because we had GYM class daily

Old 12-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
I'm with you on this one! One more way to waste our money and be intrusive. They are even outlawing public school fundraising bake sales! One more reason to get your kids out of the public schools and FIRE the Federal Dept. of Education. Abolish it! We can save $100 Billion Dollars and regain some freedom!
Agreed. The D of E is another unconstitutional agency staffed by wrongheaded bureaucrats.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Like sunlight to a vampire in a nanny staters world.
An algonquin roundtable of lunacy developing here.

Here's news: I'm a Liberal. Please raise your own children. At the same time, I want my niece and nephew to have nutritious food in school.

Still someone has to tell exactly how this limits their freedom? Seems like hyperbole of the ignorant to me.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
1-Maybe if we werent paying bad teachers and for a new nutrition program. Schools could afford 1 gym teacher
Perhaps. Of course why would we hire a gym teacher and then undo the benefit of gym class by feeding kids fattening, unhealthy foods? That's completely incongruent.

Quote:
If you want to send your child to school with a tofu burger so be it. But how about we not add more cost to the school system and just bring back gym

Do we really need a nanny outlawing bake sales. Heck we use to have bake sales and werent obese because we had GYM class daily
Perhaps you need to educate yourself about nutrition. Healthy food does not equate to tofu burgers.

You're arguing against healthy food for school children-- a position that would be untenable anywhere except on the fringe nutty right.

I'd also suggest you read up on the real reasons we have obesity today. The lack of :30 minuets of weekly gym class is NOT the cause. I fully support gym class, and being a reasonable person I also support a healthy foods program that will also keep kids healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies