U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:31 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,798,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Actually, I think Pascal's wager was that he'd just "try" Christianity so he'd be covered just in case. I don't think roysoldboy suggested you just "try" Jesus, did he?
He used Pascals Wager combined with a thinly veiled threat (believe as I do or else you'll suffer).

Semantics, I suppose, but that's what I got out of it. That I might as well believe because I'd be taking a chance if I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 02:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,484,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
He used Pascals Wager combined with a thinly veiled threat (believe as I do or else you'll suffer).

Semantics, I suppose, but that's what I got out of it. That I might as well believe because I'd be taking a chance if I didn't.
I agree that you better hope you're right. But I won't tell you to "try Jesus". You should think about it--and determine whether you're right or not. Your eternal fate depends on it.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I agree that you better hope you're right. But I won't tell you to "try Jesus". You should think about it--and determine whether you're right or not. Your eternal fate depends on it.
And there you go with the thinly veiled threat. Sheesh.

You should really think about it as well, because 'god' could be Thor, or Mithra or the FSM... and your eternal fate depends on it.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 PM

47,316 posts, read 24,634,182 times
[quote=Mr. Joshua;17003215][quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Brit Hume is not a news anchor.
Ok...fine. If you wanna be technical, he's not one NOW!! But he was certainly an anchor on Special Report. And even still, to tell someone what religion would offer him redemption on TV (as opposed to telling the man face to face like a man) is total B.S. and completely unprofessional.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:45 PM

47,316 posts, read 24,634,182 times
Quote:
LOL! Maybe you'd just better worry about your own salvation.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:57 PM

29,112 posts, read 18,391,126 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgZ4BoL5V6A

Old 12-14-2010, 05:08 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,002,940 times
Quote:

You should really think about it as well, because 'god' could be Thor, or Mithra or the FSM... and your eternal fate depends on it.
That is what I tell everyone (not just Christians) who push their religion on me.

I am like what if you die and see a angry Vishnu or Krishna sitting up there? They then insist their religion is the true and only one. I ask them for proof and they say they have faith.

I have faith in pink unicorns flying under the beautiful moon.

Religion really is a terrible mental disease. It causes people to lose their sense of logic and thinking.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:41 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,484,189 times
Quote:

Sorry. I'm convinced that the God of the Bible is real, and he's the Creator of all. And I'm ok with thor, mithra, or the atheist darling fsm not being real.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 AM

8,743 posts, read 10,002,940 times
Quote:
Sorry. I'm convinced that the God of the Bible is real, and he's the Creator of all. And I'm ok with thor, mithra, or the atheist darling fsm not being real.
Where's your proof they aren't real?

Old 12-15-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
And I believe your darling biblegod isn't real.

See where I'm going with this?

Thor, Mithra or the FSM are just as real as your biblegod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies