U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 01:25 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,009,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Yes, she should be drug tested and jailed! IMO

Farmers... I don't really see the need. They are after all working.
Why are you putting these two things (Unemployment and Welfare) together?

They are two different programs that have nothing to do with each other (???)

Do YOU think those Uber-Wealthy who got huge tax breaks from Bush and continue to do so should be drug tested?

Do you think the Wall Streeters who got bailed out and received huge bonuses with OUR money should be drug tested???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 01:27 PM

20,419 posts, read 26,544,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Do YOU think those Uber-Wealthy who got huge tax breaks from Bush and continue to do so should be drug tested?

Do you think the Wall Streeters who got bailed out and received huge bonuses with OUR money should be drug tested???
Exactly. But I think your questions are too complex for them.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:43 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,009,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Exactly. But I think your questions are too complex for them.
Maybe...all I know is no one seems to have the kumquats to answer.

It IS easier to look down one's nose than to straighten one's spine.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
What state besides Ca is it legal to grow pot?

Also what state is it legal in to do coke or heroin or meth? There is more drugs then pot

Fla it is not legal to do either but I know a couple that smokes over 100.00 a week in pot. They dont get married simply to keep the aid . Why should we be giving them almost 400.00 a mth in food stamps and daycare and insurance? The father lives with them earning around 20 an hour. They have been together since teen years and now in their mid 30s.

Can you please explain to me why they should be getting gov aid?
The great state of Alaska.

I think that your friends should learn to grow their own rather than buying it though.

My point about meth and coke is that it's gone from someone's system fairly quickly....weed is not.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,328,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
^
artwomyn need I say more? According to this post if your heavy or your legs don't work it's because you wanted to get fat or unhealthy. It couldn't possibly be because you have an illness...no it's because they want sponge baths...LOL
So you're denying that addicts and over-eaters who's only illness is in their head are not subsidized? Or, are smarmy 3rd person remarks the limit of your repertoire? Feel free to call me names if you wish.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Employers want good employees, period. As an employer, I know educated people are generally more articulate, more reliable and have a better work ethic. If they are willing to work for what I pay, then they are welcome in my establishment. You are telling falsehoods, and if you were really educated about this topic, you would know this. And if someone is self-supporting, they know they have to do whatever it takes to make ends meet, including working two jobs if their first job only pays minimum wage.

Talk about improper grammar. LOL
Sometimes. But remember, things can go another way. There's nothing worse for morale than an employee who thinks that because of their education, they are somehow above the job, and those types can be difficult to discern in an interview. One of the most tiresome ones we had last summer was someone who had recently graduated from culinary school and not only did he think he was above everyone else, he was using meth. And he was a complete drama queen who not only hit on customers but who caused all sorts of personal friction among the staff.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:19 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,904,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
They are friends of ours

So can you please answer the question. Why should we be paying almost 400.00 a mth in Food stamps alone for a couple that has been together since their teens and dont get married on purpose because they would lose their benefits. But spend more then 100.00 a week on pot. You can avoid this all day long and your lack of answer speaks volumes.

So you can tell it like it is but if someone tells you like it is you accuse them of doing the same thing you do, a bit hypocritical if you ask me. Guess that is me calling it like it is
That's only a theoretical question, based on your own assumptions. You ASSUME that a couple on food stamps, would be spending their benefit money on pot. So your question isn't even legitimate anyhow. And I won't bother to answer a question, that's based only on your own assumptions, and not fact.

What I WILL say, is that the whole drug testing idea, is an invasion of privacy for welfare and UI recipients. It will never fly, because this is still a free country, even for the poor. You and people like you, seem to think this country should be free, for everybody BUT the poor. And that's ME telling it like it is!

Old 12-15-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
That's only a theoretical question, based on your own assumptions. You ASSUME that a couple on food stamps, would be spending money their benefit money on pot. So your question isn't even legitimate anyhow.
And I won't bother to answer a question, that's based only on your own assumptions, and not fact.

What I WILL say, is that the whole drug testing idea, is an invasion of privacy for welfare and UI recipients. It will never fly, because this is still a free country, even for the poor. You and people like you, seem to think this country should be free, for everybody BUT the poor. And that's ME telling it like it is!
Pretty much so, yeah, and it doesn't seem as if many of the proponents of it really understand the concept of legal precedent. Any rights we expect the less fortunate to give up are eventually going to be taken from the majority of the rest of us.

As I've said before--federal law already bans those convicted of drug related felonies from recieving food stamps or cash assistance. Different states can amend that but not many of them have.

But this law is only specific to drug related felonies---child molesters and rapists can still qualify.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:35 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,293,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I'm not complaining as I have no problems with it. It's a fact of my profession. I do however, expect that anyone who's life I'm funding simply adhere to the same standards of behavior in exchange for the FREE MONEY they're getting. And drugs are not ever a part of that behavior.

Getting welfare *is* a choice. Applications have to be filled out, signed and submitted. There's a better choice to take responsibility for one's own life, quit squeezing out kids and GET A JOB!

Tell ya' what. I'll take another test tomorrow, Womyn, if you'll come over and hold the bottle while I fill it. No, a little higher.... higher... that's it! Opps! Did I overshoot the bottle?
Not saying it should be - I know people abuse the system and it needs to be regulated. Welfare is actually a good program that allows those less fortunate get back on their feet. However, in order for regulations to become stabilized and get the whole program back in order, the gov. needs more money to hire more people, which indefinitely means higher taxes for people. Which leads to yet something else the conservatives can ***** about. It seems like a lose lose situation to me.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:39 PM

9,322 posts, read 11,246,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Oh Yes and yes !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies