U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM

5,645 posts, read 3,995,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
There are many medical reason that some people become 'fat'.
There are also some drugs that people NEED that have weight gain as a side effect.
Since threads like this one are your specialty, stay on topic, your so very good at plugging away about the poor.

I was responding to a poster who said people become fat so they can collect benefits.
Many of those drugs increase water retention, there aren't a whole lot of drugs that are not related to hormones that make you gain fat. Water retention can be controlled through cutting back on salt. I'm talking about being FAT, not needing to lose 20 pounds. You don't need a scooter in all reality unless you are obese. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

And you are so good at defending people who need to step up and take responsibility for themselves.

Nobody said people become fat just so they can collect benefits. They are saying obesity leads to disability which leads to SSDI which leads to the loss of personal responsibility for oneself to maintain said benefits. There should be no subsidizing of obesity. That's what I got out of it, at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,865,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Her husband running off is not society's problem. Don't expect everyone else to pay for the husband's mistakes.
I am of the personnal belief that in order to have a thriving healthy society we should all help each other & especially in times as hard as we have now.

It's not about someone's mistakes when feeding children or providing shelter for kids. Where I live the churches & shelters are full & broke, could you honesly watch children live on the streets & go hungry? Recent medicad cuts have put some on death lists because they can't afford a transplant.

I'm NOT OK with this , won't pretend it isn't happening & will NEVER consider this someone else's problem & turn a blind eye to it.
Especially when I watch the politicians & corporations & banks & the uber wealthy continue to grow their vast fortunes & make record profits while investing it outside our country.

This may be OK for some but, not me, not ever.
Like I have stated before I won't ever die rich but, I will die knowing I tried my best to make this world a bit better for some.
It works for me.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 PM

20,496 posts, read 26,647,832 times
Quote:
I am of the personnal belief that in order to have a thriving healthy society we should all help each other & especially in times as hard as we have now.
And we're anthropologically hard wired to do so. The human race wouldn't have survived had Social Darwinism been a ruling concept of our ancestors.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'd rather just lay someone off rather than try to fix attitude. It's pretty easy to tell early on if someone is going to be a good fit; we let them go with no hard feelings way before they earn enough to qualify for benefits. We've found that a positive management style really does serve us well.

I'm curious though about what sort of advertising you're doing for the open positions that you have. People in the industry here in Oregon tell me that when they're hiring, they recieve literally hundreds of applications. Maybe the economy is better where you're at. Is there a local university or college in your area? Most of them have jobs boards that can be a good resource.

I'm not okay with that at all. But I'm less okay with the legal precedent that such legislation would involve. And as I've said before, experienced druggies can get by a test fairly easily.
Good point about letting them go before they qualify for UE. I had forgotten about the 90-day probationary period. It's been awhile since I worked for someone other than myself. LOL

We put ads in with the private Christian university (nobody has responded to the ads thus far) and I contacted someone at the bigger public university who has not gotten back to me, which reminds me, I need to put in a call to them. We put out free ads online anywhere we can (Craigslist, etc.), we have a FB and Twitter presence and I've been retweeting our hiring ad on our personal accounts, I went and took a flyer down to the workforce place that helps the unemployed find jobs (that's where the lady from today came from, the one who wanted cash so she could keep her UE), we are telling anyone who will listen and I've had some friends refer people. We have hired all the referrals, the one guy quit before he even got started. I had a press release prepared that discusses bringing jobs to the area but since we haven't had a firm opening date until this week, it's too late for me to get the press release submitted and published during the time we have to get people hired. We have had a lot of people ask about jobs and then not follow through. Some people gave us wrong numbers on their applications. Some people are just plain not hireable for our company due to a bad attitude, loud mouth, unkempt appearance, uneducated way of speaking, etc.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:

It's not about someone's mistakes when feeding children or providing shelter for kids. Where I live the churches & shelters are full & broke, could you honesly watch children live on the streets & go hungry? Recent medicad cuts have put some on death lists because they can't afford a transplant.

I'm NOT OK with this , won't pretend it isn't happening & will NEVER consider this someone else's problem & turn a blind eye to it.
Especially when I watch the politicians & corporations & banks & the uber wealthy continue to grow their vast fortunes & make record profits while investing it outside our country.

This may be OK for some but, not me, not ever.
Like I have stated before I won't ever die rich but, I will die knowing I tried my best to make this world a bit better for some.
It works for me.
Are you a communist sympathizer?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Many of those drugs increase water retention, there aren't a whole lot of drugs that are not related to hormones that make you gain fat. Water retention can be controlled through cutting back on salt. I'm talking about being FAT, not needing to lose 20 pounds. You don't need a scooter in all reality unless you are obese. Sorry, I should have been more clear.

And you are so good at defending people who need to step up and take responsibility for themselves.

Nobody said people become fat just so they can collect benefits. They are saying obesity leads to disability which leads to SSDI which leads to the loss of personal responsibility for oneself to maintain said benefits. There should be no subsidizing of obesity. That's what I got out of it, at least.
I am good at defending people who are not in a position at this time to do so for themselves against the hate they now have to endure from those who believe they are better than some.

I don't know or care what you got out of post # 124 but I thought they were being sarcastic & saying people get fat on purpose to collect benefits.
I also remember post# 61 where you suggested those who collect welfare 'do drugs & spread their legs'.

What I said was, there are 'regulars' on these threads on UE & welfare who spew hatred of the poor. It oozes like an open sore & is quite easy to spot.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Are you a communist sympathizer?
Whatever response I give you here, you will only report my post. You have done it before & do it with others.

I happen to love my country & the people in it. Not just others who are like me or who are rich. I don't judge people on their bank accounts like some do.

Your hatred is obvious. I almost feel sorry for one filled with so much anger, I said 'almost' ....LOL

lets just ignore one another for the better of CD & those who read the threads here.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I am good at defending people who are not in a position at this time to do so for themselves against the hate they now have to endure from those who believe they are better than some.

I don't know or care what you got out of post # 124 but I thought they were being sarcastic & saying people get fat on purpose to collect benefits.
I also remember post# 61 where you suggested those who collect welfare 'do drugs & spread their legs'.

What I said was, there are 'regulars' on these threads on UE & welfare who spew hatred of the poor. It oozes like an open sore & is quite easy to spot.
It's not hatred.

The poster may have been being sarcastic, at least the part about the sponge baths. \

I did not say ALL those who are on welfare do drugs and spread their legs but a good portion of them do at least the latter. That's a more serious problem than the drugs, IMO.

Quote:
Whatever response I give you here, you will only report my post. You have done it before & do it with others.

I happen to love my country & the people in it. Not just others who are like me or who are rich. I don't judge people on their bank accounts like some do.

Your hatred is obvious. I almost feel sorry for one filled with so much anger, I said 'almost' ....LOL

lets just ignore one another for the better of CD & those who read the threads here.
Right, and you know who I report now? I rarely report anybody and I'm 99.9% sure I've never reported you. Say what you want to say, I have no reason to report you. Just don't call me names and don't curse at me and don't bait me with OT stuff to be nasty, as these are the only reasons I ever report anyone. I have my big girl panties on.

I love my country and the people in it as well. I just do not like moochers and freeloaders. It has nothing to do with people who are unlike me, and money has nothing to do with anything. I judge people on their bank accounts if those accounts are filled via tax dollars and emptied via drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, frivolous things, etc.

I have no hatred toward anyone. I have passion for certain issues, this is one of them, animal rights is another, religion is another. It has nothing to do with anger and all about frustration and me having a very sarcastic personality, which in turn aggravates others.. I don't want anybody to feel sorry for me, so I'm glad you don't.

You can ignore me if it makes you feel better to not respond to my posts. Good luck in life.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:30 PM

29,027 posts, read 15,648,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It was part of a welfare reform bill in 1996. I have no idea why it includes drug related felons only. Probably part of the "war on drugs" mess.

Yes, the biggest failure in the history of mankind... the war on drugs.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,076,107 times
Quote:
It's not hatred.

The poster may have been being sarcastic, at least the part about the sponge baths. \

I did not say ALL those who are on welfare do drugs and spread their legs but a good portion of them do at least the latter. That's a more serious problem than the drugs, IMO.

Right, and you know who I report now? I rarely report anybody and I'm 99.9% sure I've never reported you. Say what you want to say, I have no reason to report you. Just don't call me names and don't curse at me and don't bait me with OT stuff to be nasty, as these are the only reasons I ever report anyone. I have my big girl panties on.

I love my country and the people in it as well. I just do not like moochers and freeloaders. It has nothing to do with people who are unlike me, and money has nothing to do with anything. I judge people on their bank accounts if those accounts are filled via tax dollars and emptied via drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, frivolous things, etc.

I have no hatred toward anyone. I have passion for certain issues, this is one of them, animal rights is another, religion is another. It has nothing to do with anger and all about frustration and me having a very sarcastic personality, which in turn aggravates others.. I don't want anybody to feel sorry for me, so I'm glad you don't.

You can ignore me if it makes you feel better to not respond to my posts. Good luck in life.
"""animal rights is another, religion is another"""

'splains it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies