U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,120,097 times
Reputation: 983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Your opinion and anecdotal "evidence". Look it up.

Next?
Yes, it's anecdotal, but that does not mean it's not valid. It's not my opinion, either, it's a fact. Take a look around at the people in your life, have you never met someone that has been on welfare and abused the privilege?

As has been discussed numerous times, there is no way to quantify the extent of the abuse of welfare system.

Again, I will ask: Is the above mentioned situation okay with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 PM
 
21,044 posts, read 19,524,510 times
Reputation: 5930
Should people be required to take drug tests to receive tax refunds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:13 PM
 
Location: Tallahassee
1,869 posts, read 884,717 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No. I think we need to focus on evangelizing the lost, increasing church attendance of these lost and also the saved, which in turn increases tithes. I voluntarily give plenty to the church, I do not, however, pay more taxes than what is strictly required of me. I would happily redirect my tax dollars to the church.

Again, I am waiting on what I supposedly owe society. I have no idea what I could possibly owe aside from not being a leach. Your argument that adults should know what they "owe" is not working...methinks YOU don't even know what our "duties" are to society.
I'm not your mother/father and have no interest in "playing" your mother/father on an Internet forum, however, I will tell you this: YOU have to figure out what you believe you owe society and why.

Re-read this: >>>> http://www.city-data.com/forum/17079047-post305.html (Post #305)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,757,511 times
Reputation: 6633
Should soldiers be required to take drug tests to receive their pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,120,097 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
I'm not your mother/father and have no interest in "playing" your mother/father on an Internet forum, however, I will tell you this: YOU have to figure out what you believe you owe society and why.

Re-read this: >>>> http://www.city-data.com/forum/17079047-post305.html (Post #305)
That post says what society has supposedly given me. It does not refer to what I owe society. I pay my taxes, which fund the things the other post discusses, such as schools, police, etc. Society may have influenced what I think, my clothing, and in part what my morals are (although I'd like to think my parents had the largest role in that), but what do I owe society in return for having "given" me these things?

I'm not asking for a lecture, but whatever your intention is here, it's going over my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 PM
 
Location: Tallahassee
1,869 posts, read 884,717 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Yes, it's anecdotal, but that does not mean it's not valid. It's not my opinion, either, it's a fact. Take a look around at the people in your life, have you never met someone that has been on welfare and abused the privilege?

As has been discussed numerous times, there is no way to quantify the extent of the abuse of welfare system.

Again, I will ask: Is the above mentioned situation okay with you?
Yes, I believe your anecdotal evidence is true; however, that does not prove that the abuse extends to "most" or "very many" people who are welfare recipients.

"Your opinion" was a response to what you think I think.

NO, I have never met someone on welfare who was abusing it. Never. And since you admit that there is no way to quantify the extent of any abuse, you're still just giving your OPINIONS/BELIEFS about the system based on the anecdotal evidence gathered from six members of your own family.

The question is: Is the "above situation" okay with you to the extent that you REFUSE to do anything about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,120,097 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
The question is: Is the "above situation" okay with you to the extent that you REFUSE to do anything about it?
No, it's not, but there is nothing I CAN do. I am not willing to start a familial war just to report these idiots.

And I'm glad you haven't had the misfortune of meeting these types of a-holes who have no regard for the law or for other people. Trust me, it's maddening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,757,511 times
Reputation: 6633
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
No, it's not, but there is nothing I CAN do.
Of course you can. Turn them in.

Quote:
I am not willing to start a familial war just to report these idiots.
Oh...so there is something that you can do, you just choose not to.

Perhaps your righteous indignation about this type of abuse isn't so strong as you would lead us to believe

Quote:
And I'm glad you haven't had the misfortune of meeting these types of a-holes who have no regard for the law or for other people. Trust me, it's maddening.
Are you referring to the a-holes who know of individuals abusing the system and refusing to report them or some other a-holes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,120,097 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Of course you can. Turn them in.



Oh...so there is something that you can do, you just choose not to.

Perhaps your righteous indignation about this type of abuse isn't so strong as you would lead us to believe



Are you referring to the a-holes who know of individuals abusing the system and refusing to report them or some other a-holes?
The a-holes doing the abusing. I know you didn't just call me an a-hole....

What are YOU doing to solve the problem? Seems to me you're adding to it by being okay with the status quo. Get off your high horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Tallahassee
1,869 posts, read 884,717 times
Reputation: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
But how do you know the food is even going to the children? By handing the parent an EBT card, you are allowing them to purchase sodas, chips and other crap that may not even be going to keep the child nourished. While welfare has good intentions, people abuse it, and that is what is wrong. Again, not saying everyone does this, but it definitely happens.

I argue that if anyone wants to find work, they can, and that education does not mean crap when it comes to being successful. But that is neither here nor there.

I think you might have misworded your statement, but if not...if someone needs help paying their portion of section 8 at a hundred or two dollars a month, there is something wrong.
Children & Family Services is there to help ensure that children are properly cared for........not the food stamp agency. Who else is there to give the public assistance money to other than the parents? If someone is starving their child, or feeding them nothing but sodas and chips, then that person needs to be reported to Children & Families to be investigated.

There is no PERFECT system. None. Nada. The welfare system, like all systems, may have flaws, but it is NOT costing us, relatively speaking, much money at all. Look at the BIG PICTURE, which is the entire budget and figure out how very, very precious little of your tax money goes to help anyone in need via social programs such as food stamps, Section 8 house, Wic, etc., etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top