Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:30 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times

Advertisements

Since the unemployment insurance prograqm is state run and state funded for the first 26 weeks, shouldn't the decision be up to the states concerning the requirements for elegibility? Why hasen't one state proposed drug testing(not even Texas)? Probably because it is a very bad idea for a large number of reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,345 times
Alcohol is a drug. Would the drug test include that, or is for currently illegal substances only?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
#1 I can't change my family. Ever heard of unconditional love? All I can do is give advice on how to get their lives right, it is up to them to actually do it.
If said "welfare abusers" are family, of course you can't do anything about it... but don't assume their behavior represents the majority.

Quote:
#2 None of these friends of mine are "good friends." They all live in the redneck town I used to live in, a town I HATED due to the morons who inhabit it. Well, one was a good friend who got herself pregnant, and we no longer talk after she talked me into babysitting for her and refused to pay me.

#3 I have no problem with the honest folks, I know they exist, but that does not mean we have to just deal with the abuse that occurs.
Okay, so you don't want to deal with it... last time I'll ask, HOW do you think the problem can be solved? We already have specific social programs, as I mentioned earlier, and there are penalties if you're caught abusing the system. What else can we do?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The churches are overburdened just now.

This is funny:

Now what on earth makes you think that the "poor" are laying up in the bubble bath all day long?
Bubble baths indeed!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:35 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Since the unemployment insurance prograqm is state run and state funded for the first 26 weeks, shouldn't the decision be up to the states concerning the requirements for elegibility? Why hasen't one state proposed drug testing(not even Texas)? Probably because it is a very bad idea for a large number of reasons.
Well, the decision is up to the states. But I don't recall it ever coming up in the case of UI benefits. And in some states, the employee pays into it as well as the employer.

The Welfare Reform Act of 1996 gave the states the option of testing welfare recipients for drugs. Some have tried to enact that and it just hasn't flown; 4th amendment concerns as well as the costs involved in doing so have been a major roadblock.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:43 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Well, the decision is up to the states. But I don't recall it ever coming up in the case of UI benefits. And in some states, the employee pays into it as well as the employer.

The Welfare Reform Act of 1996 gave the states the option of testing welfare recipients for drugs. Some have tried to enact that and it just hasn't flown; 4th amendment concerns as well as the costs involved in doing so have been a major roadblock.
Good points. Well, I wonder what all the foot stomping and consternation is all about. The states have the power to drug test, they don't do it. There must be a reason. You(not you) can't tell me the state of Texas is controlled by leftist, liberal, PC coalitions. There must be logical reasons why they have not imposed drug testing on welfare and UI recipients.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Good points. Well, I wonder what all the foot stomping and consternation is all about. The states have the power to drug test, they don't do it. There must be a reason. You(not you) can't tell me the state of Texas is controlled by leftist, liberal, PC coalitions. There must be logical reasons why they have not imposed drug testing on welfare and UI recipients.
I don't know if this was overturned or not.

Quote:
Texas has recently enacted a new law requiring that food stamp recipients undergo drug testing. This new law is just one of many similar proposals regarding testing welfare recipients being debated in state legislatures around the country. With a fight between the state government and civil liberties groups likely, this is an important issue for the drug testing community to watch.
Mandatory Drug Testing for Texas Food Stamp Recipients (http://www.foleyservices.com/t-04_27_2009.aspx - broken link)

I think they got around 4th amendment concerns by limiting the testing to people who had already been convicted of certain crimes.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
#1 I can't change my family. Ever heard of unconditional love? All I can do is give advice on how to get their lives right, it is up to them to actually do it.

#2 None of these friends of mine are "good friends." They all live in the redneck town I used to live in, a town I HATED due to the morons who inhabit it. Well, one was a good friend who got herself pregnant, and we no longer talk after she talked me into babysitting for her and refused to pay me.

#3 I have no problem with the honest folks, I know they exist, but that does not mean we have to just deal with the abuse that occurs.
"""Ever heard of unconditional love?"""

Ya, I believe your Jesus spoke of it, especially concerning the poor and needy......
Guess his message wasn't passed along....

Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Bubble baths indeed!
Gives me an idea.

Recently I inherited my grandmother's big old bathtub and it's heavenly. I haven't had a bubble bath in years....but I've ordered some from my favorite fragrance/lotion/et al supplier....Spiced Hot Cocoa is the scent, and it might be here via UPS today

I am not on welfare but I think I qualify for UI and I'm thinking that weekly check might come in handy for my E-Bay activities; I'm pretty sure I qualify, and in Alaska, the employee pays into the program as well as the employer, so perhaps I'll see about getting some of my money back

I could buy the whole line of Spiced Hot Cocoa stuff (and more) on a regular basis with that check; hair detangler, body butter, etc. I could even buy enough to donate some to charity so that the poor can have bubble baths too.

I hope UPS is on the ball today and that this evening I can be laying up in the Spiced Hot Cocoa bubble bath with a nice glass of vintage red and just maybe a little puff of weed to go with it.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:04 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Ever heard of "enabling"?

Ever heard of "hypocrisy"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraphrase
People are taking advantage of the system. It is terrible. We are paying for people's drug habits. It's got to stop. Even my family does it. Of course, they'll figure it out and stop on their own eventually. It's not worth my time to fix it while they waste your tax money'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies