U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Tallahassee
1,869 posts, read 844,593 times
Reputation: 299

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Gives me an idea.

Recently I inherited my grandmother's big old bathtub and it's heavenly. I haven't had a bubble bath in years....but I've ordered some from my favorite fragrance/lotion/et al supplier....Spiced Hot Cocoa is the scent, and it might be here via UPS today

I am not on welfare but I think I qualify for UI and I'm thinking that weekly check might come in handy for my E-Bay activities; I'm pretty sure I qualify, and in Alaska, the employee pays into the program as well as the employer, so perhaps I'll see about getting some of my money back

I could buy the whole line of Spiced Hot Cocoa stuff (and more) on a regular basis with that check; hair detangler, body butter, etc. I could even buy enough to donate some to charity so that the poor can have bubble baths too.

I hope UPS is on the ball today and that this evening I can be laying up in the Spiced Hot Cocoa bubble bath with a nice glass of vintage red and just maybe a little puff of weed to go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2010, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Tallahassee
1,869 posts, read 844,593 times
Reputation: 299
And WHO says there are enough jobs out there for the unemployed or that those who ARE WORKING can support their families these days?

Employed But Struggling: Report Finds 1 in 3 Working Families Near Poverty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Austin
29,026 posts, read 15,648,826 times
Reputation: 7764
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Since the unemployment insurance prograqm is state run and state funded for the first 26 weeks, shouldn't the decision be up to the states concerning the requirements for elegibility? Why hasen't one state proposed drug testing(not even Texas)? Probably because it is a very bad idea for a large number of reasons.


Maybe because it is an INSURANCE program. Until the Feds messed with it, it was funded by PREMIUMS paid by employers.

Nobody needs restrictions on how they spend money from an insurance program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
 
Location: NJ
1,252 posts, read 3,018,796 times
Reputation: 1022
What about the states with employee contributions? What about interstate claims? It could get hairy with residency and reciprocity rules.

Business Owner's Toolkit: State Unemployment Taxes

Quote:
Currently only three states, Alaska, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania also assess unemployment taxes on employees. If you happen to have employees in Alaska, New Jersey, or Pennsylvania, you will also be withholding some unemployment taxes from your employees' wages. New Jersey also includes a disability insurance tax as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 3,995,272 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
AGAIN, you are just speculating that all these people have computers, internet, and cable, etc., etc.

Look up the word speculation. Have YOU ever, ever been in any Section 8 housing facility? You also seem to have an obsession with pot. You actually think the poor and needy who receive welfare benefits have such luxuries as washers & dryers to do their laundry? Ever been to a laundromat? Geeeezzzzz. Somebody has filled your head with lots of illusions about welfare recipients as far as I can tell. Please. Give us some FACTS rather than just sheer speculation and broad generalizations.
Did I say ALL of them have these items? NO. Seriously do not sit there and talk to me about generalization and speculation while putting words in my mouth. You're NOT schooling me on anything here. One thing is evidenced here, though...some posters on CD admit to taking welfare currently and/or being on UE...and obviously THEY have computers and Internet access. So thanks for proving my point for me, that MANY of these people opt to pay for luxuries instead of necessities.

I have been in a section 8 place, several come to think of it, and was glad to get the heck out of there. But those are projects, almost any landlord can take section 8 so the argument that all section 8 housing is bad (which is what I think your argument is...it's also a generalization ) is not completely valid. When I was apartment hunting before we relocated, I found LOTS of decent-looking places that take rental assistance, they have "market rent" and "rental assistance" units. So not all of these places are bad, it depends upon the city and also the area of the city. Inner city projects are likely much more run down and dangerous than ones in the 'burbs or in surrounding communities. I still stayed away from the ones that take assistance, but my point is, section 8 places that are safer than average are out there.

Laundromats are not just for poor people, I have no problem using them and I'm not poor. However, many section 8 rentals, including projects, and including houses rented by individual landlords, have laundry rooms on site and a washer and dryer in the unit, respectively.

I have no obsession with pot and in case you didn't notice, THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD IS DRUG TESTING and one poster gave the example of a friend who spends $100 a week on weed while getting $400 a month in food stamps. PLEASE read before making inane comments that just take up people's time unnecessarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 3,995,272 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The churches are overburdened just now.


This is funny:



Now what on earth makes you think that the "poor" are laying up in the bubble bath all day long?
Because I've seen it (not literally, thank God) and heard about it from people with firsthand experience.

If church attendance was increased, the churches would not be overburdened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 3,995,272 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Slow down and read carefully the posts you're responding to......NO, andrea, I'm not asking YOU to do a study. I'm asking YOU to FIND studies done by reliable organizations/people which give factual data regarding this issue. Most people with bachelors degrees understand what a "study" is and why they're needed to analyze "suggestions" for "improvement" of a government system like the welfare system.

Again, I will continueto say NOTHING as far as alternatives to fix a system which I DO NOT SEE AS BROKEN. I said NO to drug testing welfare recipients. Period. NO means NO. I'm posting here defending the position that drug tests should NOT be given as a condition to receive welfare benefits or unemployment benefits. I see such testing as a WASTE OF MONEY and unfairly harsh discrimination against the needy. YOU are arguing that the system is broken and you want to see drug testing as a way to "fix' that system, and I have simply been asking you to provide factual information, data, statistics, which support your contention that there is widespread abuse of the welfare system and that MUCH of our taxpayer money is being wasted by these people. You have not been able to provide anything objective and factual to support your position. You continue to just provide speculation based on the behavior of SIX of your family members. That is NOT sufficient to support the expenditure of more money to "fix" a system which, IMO, is NOT BROKEN and is not widely abused.

And you continue to rail against welfare recipients simply because you have family members who abuse the system.....at least that's what you've posted. Sounds to me like a personal issue with your family.

Somebody earlier did ask for a study to be put on their desk, I though it was you, perhaps I was wrong.

And what don't you understand about the fact that there is little if any data on this topic? There is really not a good way to collect data that quantify the extent of the problem of drug use and other bad behavior while receiving welfare of some kind. If there was a way to determine this, don't you think there would also be a way to prevent abuse from occurring?

I would like to see a study that discusses the ramifications of a drug testing program, personally. One poster did post a study that showed that drug use is either 50% more prevalent or occurs in 50% of households that receive welfare, I can't remember which. You can go find it since you want data so badly.

You said yourself that there is fraud in the system. But yet you do not see the system as broken. You have no way to quantify the extent of this abuse, but you do recognize that it exists. If you want to say no to drug testing, good, fine, dandy. But don't sit there and argue with me about all manner of welfare and prevention of abuse stuff if you don't even see a problem with the system. The fact that you are defending it so much says a lot, as does the fact that you are still going on and on about this topic.

ETA: I have a problem with all people who steal my tax dollars. That extends to my family members who are abusing the system. They already know I feel that way. You getting on your high horse and looking down at me because I have family on welfare is meaningless to me, them being on welfare has nothing to do with me, and don't you dare tell me that I have a personal problem with them and I'm projecting onto all welfare recipients. You're honestly a fool if you think people aren't taking advantage of YOUR tax money, and you're an imbecile if you aren't troubled by that. I'm not attacking you here, but anybody who wants to pretend it doesn't happen is a fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 3,995,272 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
More complaining, still no solutions... I'll ask again, WHAT can be done to stop this "misappropriation of funds?" And how do we draw the line on what's a "necessary item" versus "luxury item?" Any ideas?
I've provided several ideas on this thread alone, not to mention others on this topic in the past. If you choose not to pay attention, that is not my fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 3,995,272 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Since the unemployment insurance prograqm is state run and state funded for the first 26 weeks, shouldn't the decision be up to the states concerning the requirements for elegibility? Why hasen't one state proposed drug testing(not even Texas)? Probably because it is a very bad idea for a large number of reasons.
It was done in Michigan for welfare recipients and ruled unconstitutional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,285 posts, read 43,641,612 times
Reputation: 18811
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
some posters on CD admit to taking welfare currently and/or being on UE...and obviously THEY have computers and Internet access. So thanks for proving my point for me, that MANY of these people opt to pay for luxuries instead of necessities.
Not necessarily... weren't you aware that public libraries have computers with free internet access, which can be used for 1-2 hours (sometimes more) by anyone? You don't even need a library card, if you're willing to use the 15-minute "first come first serve" computer. The library I used to manage was 1 block from a halfway house, and nearly all of their residents used our computers daily - we even allowed extended use, as long as nobody else was waiting. So no, you cannot deduce that somebody has internet based on their postings here. When was the last time you visited a library? 1985?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top