U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:46 AM

2,792 posts, read 3,645,720 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering when the day will come when all vehicles are equipped w/ alcohol/drug screen mechanisms, when people must submit to drug screens & DNA testing before having children, getting health insurance,being allowed to get surgery or health care ,must step on the scales & be weighed at the grocery store to determine how much food one is allowed to buy....I could go on & on. All this crap about forcing Americans to do things is getting WAY out of hand. Pretty soon we will have NO freedoms left at this rate. What is WRONG with you people???? Land of the free,home of the brave, my ASS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 08:12 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,647,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
So you don't care if we raise your taxes to pay for it?
How about the kids of these unfit knit-wits? What do you suggest we do with them.
This gets far deeper than just drug testing & kicking those off who test positive.
We all know what it is NOT meant for, so some people are idiots but, what exactly would happen to the babies & children of these people if we just stop their checks? Or doesn't that matter anymore?
Here is a novel idea: How about we raise YOUR taxes and every other bleeding heart liberal who cries about the "children." YOU can pay for them, if you care that much.

Or, better yet, why don't you go out and let all these poor, unfortunate children live with you? Take em all in, work with them. Feed them, clothe them, take them to school, et al. You have such a big heart, use it.

Me? No, you are right: I DONT CARE. The people who had those poor children, should have thought about it, before they spread their legs and took it out of their pants.

Personal responsibility, what a novel concept...

Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 AM

34,593 posts, read 33,579,817 times
It's going to make the lines move slower at the unemployment office. Maybe if they served bottled water while you are waiting...

Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 AM

29,518 posts, read 16,420,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I'm wondering when the day will come when all vehicles are equipped w/ alcohol/drug screen mechanisms, when people must submit to drug screens & DNA testing before having children, getting health insurance,being allowed to get surgery or health care ,must step on the scales & be weighed at the grocery store to determine how much food one is allowed to buy....I could go on & on. All this crap about forcing Americans to do things is getting WAY out of hand. Pretty soon we will have NO freedoms left at this rate. What is WRONG with you people???? Land of the free,home of the brave, my ASS.

You are correct. There are not enough of us who see the growth of our big bloated government as an evil thing that is taking away our freedom.

You should check out the Libertarian Party.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 AM

5,645 posts, read 4,119,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Sterilization is a good idea.. Hopefully before the one in question has 3 or 4 kids that are going to follow in their footsteps. I feel bad for kids like that and wish I had the time to help in a "Big Brother" type of role, but to be honest I'm too busy raising my own children and working to be able to take on extras or volunteer any more time right now.

As for the pot and booze, even nicotine... After thinking about it, I think they should test for all of these too.. After reading some posts here, and I agree, why should we as taxpayers have to pay for someones habits when we are already paying for their housing, food and healthcare, things that we all work so hard for. Where is our benefit?

I don't know about you all, but a lot of times I feel like all I do is work, work, work, just to barely scrape by... Why don't the people that reap the benefits for nothing have to show anything? Why is the system so easy for them to manipulate?
Florida's Medicaid program pays for sterilization of both men and women. I was told that the woman can have it after the third birth but I cannot verify that this is true. I have seen billboards for vasectomies at the public health dept. that were put up by the DOH so that I know is true. I also found this:

http://www.baccinc.org/medi/CD_April_2005/Provider_Handbooks/Medicaid_Coverage_and_Limitations_Handbooks/Registered_Nurse_First_Assistant_Updated_January_2 005.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
Sterilization procedures performed in the inpatient and outpatient hospital setting
are for the purpose of rendering a recipient (male or female) incapable of
reproducing and are voluntary procedures reimbursable by Medicaid. The
following criteria must be met:
The recipient must be at least 21 years old at the time of signing the consent
form;
The recipient must be mentally competent and not institutionalized in a
correctional, penal, rehabilitation facility or a facility for mental diseases; and
A Florida Medicaid Sterilization Consent Form must be correctly completed
and signed at least 30 days prior to sterilization, and a copy must be
attached to all claim forms for reimbursement. No other form is acceptable.

I also would like to know why the system was created in a way that it is easy for people to manipulate and commit fraud. Our legislators should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder why you guys are so vindictive about the unemployed yet give a pass to stay at home mom's, retired Teabaggers and people rich enough that they will never have to work?

I figure I will pay their unemployment now and they will cover mine in the future.
??

SAHMs are living off their husband's salaries so they can stay home and raise their children. They are not receiving any sort of welfare. If they were, I would take issue.

Retirees, Tea Party or not, are also not generally taking welfare. Some are, most likely, and most are likely receiving SS, but that is not specific to one party or another, it is specific to old age. You also don't know how much savings these people are living off of. Arguably, Tea Partiers at retirements are probably taking fewer handouts than non-TPers.

Rich people are not taking handouts, period. I would also venture a guess that the vast majority of those who are born into wealth do end up working some type of job or becoming an entrepreneur or angel investor at some point in their lives.

None of these people are receiving UE benefits. Even if they were, why would it be their job to pay yours in the future? Do you know you're going to get laid off or something? The types of folks you mentioned may not work but they also do not expect someone else to pay their way.

I'm sorry, but none of your post made any sense.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Um, if someone is receiving money from the gov't, why shouldn't they have to be subjected to a few more rules than the rest of us? They have two options: don't do drugs and get free money, or do drugs and don't get free money. They shouldn't be able to have their cake and eat it, too.

One good example is the state-funded scholarship I had when I went to college. They pay 100% of tuition (not fees) and a small stipend for books, and in return I had to maintain a 3.0 and take a minimum number of credits each year, not to mention jump through a few hoops to get the scholarship to begin with. I lost the scholarship the first year b/c I didn't hold up my end of the bargain, my grades dropped and I started going part-time. That was my consequence for screwing up. Why can't welfare be the same way? I also support other rules like looking for a job and limiting total welfare handouts to five years during a lifetime (Florida's TANF program is limited to five years, for example).

You have built up a slippery slope fallacy that is not a valid argument. Try again.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Here is a novel idea: How about we raise YOUR taxes and every other bleeding heart liberal who cries about the "children." YOU can pay for them, if you care that much.

Or, better yet, why don't you go out and let all these poor, unfortunate children live with you? Take em all in, work with them. Feed them, clothe them, take them to school, et al. You have such a big heart, use it.

Me? No, you are right: I DONT CARE. The people who had those poor children, should have thought about it, before they spread their legs and took it out of their pants.

I'm sure they will take issue with your statement due to the "fairness" of everyone needing to pay for these kids or the drug tests. They forget about what's fair when it comes to giving tax breaks, though...the wealthy don't deserve them, but everyone else does.

I agree that these welfare people should have practiced "choice" before having sex. The children are their responsibility and if they can't man up, the state needs to remove the children and give them to an adoptive couple who does want to raise the children properly. If it's done at a young age, the children are more adoptable; the state should quit pussssy-footing around not give parents chance after chance after chance to get their kids back. 3 month chance and if you can't do it or if you screw up again, that's it. I used to volunteer at a family visitation center (for parents who get one supervised hour a week with their kids due to them being removed from the home) and the parents get WAY too many chances to shape up, but many never do. It's sad.

It would be great if there was some kind of pre-reproduction test that could be given to everyone before they attempt to procreate.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:50 AM

2,619 posts, read 1,953,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

We have many more like YOU who don't care......unless it happens to themselves.
Hopefully you never have any unfortunate things happen to you in this life, because obviously you won't be disappointed if bad things like getting sick, or losing your job happen to you & no one cares huh?

I know, I know, it can't happen to you or it won't happen to you ever....yea yea cause your special.

Since it was you who brought the liberal/conservative thing into it, I have a question. Just what is your political persuasion? Obviously your not a liberal who you admit seem to do the 'caring' of fellow citizens.

I do have a big heart & I do use it. I won't die rich in fact, far from it but, I will die knowing I did everything I could to help make things in my family & community a better place & if I die with only helping a small few then having a big heart was worth it to me. I guess it just matters more to me to be part of a 'bigger picture' than to have a mindset of "every man for himself".
Good Luck to you Phil.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 AM

2,619 posts, read 1,953,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Um, if someone is receiving money from the gov't, why shouldn't they have to be subjected to a few more rules than the rest of us? They have two options: don't do drugs and get free money, or do drugs and don't get free money. They shouldn't be able to have their cake and eat it, too.
No problems at all with this if EVERYONE who uses government services has to be tested. Oh but, that would mean all of us wouldn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies