Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:12 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times

Advertisements

ABSOLUTELY! The only reason though is because 99% of the time you cant get a new job if you are taking drugs, most employers will test you. If you are dumb enough to be doing drugs while on an employment search it will severely reduce your chances of being hired, so its almost as if you aren't really looking for employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:20 PM

30,299 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
ABSOLUTELY! The only reason though is because 99% of the time you cant get a new job if you are taking drugs, most employers will test you. If you are dumb enough to be doing drugs while on an employment search it will severely reduce your chances of being hired, so its almost as if you aren't really looking for employment.
Really? 99%??? That's pretty weird, seeing as I've been working for 20+ years and have NEVER been asked for a drug test... where do you live, exactly?

Old 09-05-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Really? 99%??? That's pretty weird, seeing as I've been working for 20+ years and have NEVER been asked for a drug test... where do you live, exactly?
Well, 99% might be a stretch, but I've been working for 17+ years and have had to take a drug test for each and every employer.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Well, 99% might be a stretch, but I've been working for 17+ years and have had to take a drug test for each and every employer.
Must depend on your industry and state, then, because I've never had to take one... maybe that's why I like California so much, LOL.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:25 PM

P.S. I smoke pot with a medical prescription, and it hasn't stood in my way of finding (or keeping) employment... I've been laid off due to budget cuts, and quit a few jobs for various reasons, but never has the pot been a contributing factor. In fact, I'm smoking a bowl as we "speak," and yet I'm gainfully employed at a professional job. Hmmmmm.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Must depend on your industry and state, then, because I've never had to take one... maybe that's why I like California so much, LOL.
Well I've been at the same employer for *almost* 10 years, so I could say I have not been tested for work for 10 years...its all how you position it, but lets just say the majority of companies DO require a drug test upon hiring.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:28 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Pot is really too common to be tested for most jobs. CSR, office work...who give a damn?

I've never been tested for drugs. I was tested for TB once.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 PM

27,116 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Yes.
I have to on my job, my job pays for those benefits.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Pot is really too common to be tested for most jobs. CSR, office work...who give a damn?
I know, huh?! I'm a librarian, and don't see how smoking pot (after work) could possibly affect my ability to order books, write grants, help patrons, etc. Somehow I've managed to work effectively, AND finish a Master's Degree, all while being a casual evening/weekend smoker. People drink on their time off, so how is this any different? Until they add alcohol to these tests, I call shenanigans.

Funny story - Once I had to spend the night at a co-worker's house, since I lived 50mi away & we had an early meeting... I was wondering if I'd be able to "use my medicine" that evening, and planned on either refraining or going to my car. So I get to her house around dinner time, and as soon as we're done eating, her husband pulls out a joint and asks "wanna smoke this with me?" Guess I didn't have to worry!

Point being, it's incredibly common even among professionals, especially when you live in a tolerant state like CA. They're currently trying to get it off the drug testing list (at least for medical patients), but that's been an uphill battle thus far. Lame.

Quote:
I've never been tested for drugs. I was tested for TB once.
I've been tested for TB at a few jobs, since I worked directly with children at a school (or after-school program). But no drug tests yet, and it's rare to see that as a requirement for hiring in my field... and to be perfectly honest, in the few occasions where I have seen that in the job description, I simply decided not to apply. Partly because I didn't know how I'd pass, as it stays in your system for months - also because I figured that's not a place I'd be comfortable working.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:39 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Until they add alcohol to these tests, I call shenanigans.
And tobacco. I love this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies