Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It ended up costing us more, and therefore failed. It will most likely be repealed. Also, people don't like to be treated like criminals who have to prove they are innocent of crimes, when they have committed none.

Sorry, I was wrong. It it not that it will "likely be repealed". The program is already banned, because it is likely unconstitutional. Michigan already ruled the same policy unconstitutional.

Good. That policy was a real money-hog. I hope other states learned from our mistakes.

Florida tax payers had to pay an additional $600 000 to those people who refused to take the test. And we already paid $35 a pop to test the people in the first place. The entire state of Florida (pop 19 million) found only 108 positive results, almost all of which were for pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 10:20 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,046 times
In my opinion, denying and disparaging individual liberty and our privileges and immunities should be considered a conflict of interest under any form of Capitalism where the wealthy and our wealthier elected representatives can make more money with their already existing wealth simply by investing in those institutions which support those policies.

Quote:
Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add “within the limits of the law,” because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual.

-Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I have to say that it's more likely people with actual money (not welfare recipeients or food stamp users) who are more likely to be drug addictis. I'm not takling about pot smokers...I'm talking about big gun drugs that cost $$. There are only so many "food stamp lobsters" you can sell to support a serious habit. When do you go after them? I'm sure they are costing you some tax $ at some point. They just don't have a predrawn bullseye on their backs do they? Most likely becasue they are your family, friends and neighbors. You know, the GOOD people, not the POOR scum.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:36 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Sorry, I was wrong. It it not that it will "likely be repealed". The program is already banned, because it is likely unconstitutional. Michigan already ruled the same policy unconstitutional.

Good. That policy was a real money-hog. I hope other states learned from our mistakes.

Florida tax payers had to pay an additional $600 000 to those people who refused to take the test. And we already paid $35 a pop to test the people in the first place. The entire state of Florida (pop 19 million) found only 108 positive results, almost all of which were for pot.
Good to hear.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I have to say that it's more likely people with actual money (not welfare recipeients or food stamp users) who are more likely to be drug addictis.
I would imagine it's an equal percentage across the board to some degree however when you start getting into hardcore addicts the drug itself causes poverty. If you're middle class and start using heroin it's very likely you won't be middle class for long. Functioning addicts are out there but they are the exception and not the rule.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
how do you track something after it's been purchased?

rfid :d

Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Yes. It amazes me that it's even a question.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:04 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:

I find this is just crazy. Unconstitutional my A_$$ !! So why isn't unconstituional for us worker bee's that have to be drug tested ? I'm sorry but free money needs to come with a stipulation. Random drug tests for welfare and unemployment recipients period.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Should people be required to take drug tests to receive welfare and unemployment benefits?

*Sorry for the typo in the poll question... the last word is welfare. =)
Looks like someone was listening...

Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved | khou.com Houston
Quote:
Posted on May 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Workers who lose their jobs would have to clear a drug screening to qualify for unemployment compensation under a proposal approved by the Texas Legislature.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
Looks like someone was listening...
This shouldn't apply to unemployment benefits, it's completely different than welfare benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies