U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:56 PM

4,790 posts, read 4,034,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
You can't compare welfare drug testing to company drug testing... They are two completely different things. The company that you work for is an established private entity which means they can pretty much do anything in conjuction of the law. If you don't like the policy, I suggest you work elsewhere.
I'm not complaining as I have no problems with it. It's a fact of my profession. I do however, expect that anyone who's life I'm funding simply adhere to the same standards of behavior in exchange for the FREE MONEY they're getting. And drugs are not ever a part of that behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
You can't compare parenting, which is a choice, to people getting welfare and UI benefits. That's patently absurd! Welfare and UI recipients, already have to follow certain guidlines to qualify for benefits. And you're assuming that ALL welfare and UI recipients, are using their payments to buy drugs. Which is also absurd.

Once again, you're assuming that welfare and UI recipients, are ALL lazy, shiftless, immoral, and irresponsible. It's the same old song and dance, that you conservatives put on. I think that if anyone should be drug tested, it should be you conservatives. With the harebrained schemes that you all come up with to harass the poor, you must be under the influence of some kind of illegal drug(s)!
Getting welfare *is* a choice. Applications have to be filled out, signed and submitted. There's a better choice to take responsibility for one's own life, quit squeezing out kids and GET A JOB!

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-15-2010 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: off topic/personal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 05:33 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,454,683 times
No, because we need to be more focused on how we can get people OFF welfare and unemployment for good. I don't mean throw them off with no job or means of supporting themselves. I mean helping them get the training/skills and job they need to be fully self-supporting. I think most of the poor in this country would actually be happier if they could.

A work program would be better suited for folks on unemployment as this would help them gain skills, references, and possibly network for their next job. A training program would be great for those who can't find a job with their current skill set. It really is not that easy to get money for training if you have been trained in another field, even if that field is not hiring. Unemployed people should be getting job placement assistance.

Welfare recipients should be required to get a GED and attend parenting classes. Welfare recipients should also be required to take part in a work/training program. Welfare recipients also should have job placement assistance.

Why are we assuming everyone on unemployment is a drug and alcohol user anyway? I had to take unemployment after my lay-off. It was the only place to go to get the help I needed. I have never used drugs. I don't smoke and never will. I have only had alcohol about 7 times in my whole life. I have never tasted beer or whiskey, nor do I want to. Let's stop assuming everyone on unemployment is a druggie/stoner.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:37 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,846,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Should people be required to take drug tests to receive welfare and unemployment benefits?

*Sorry for the typo in the poll question... the last word is welfare. =)
1. yes on the welfare
2. no on the unemployment unless it's the cause of termination, then yes
3. why is this a nationwide poll? shouldn't montana decide how it administers welfare? Didn't clinton sign that into law many moons ago? Why are you asking for my vote for what happens in your neighborhood?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,965,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I'm not complaining as I have no problems with it. It's a fact of my profession. I do however, expect that anyone who's life I'm funding simply adhere to the same standards of behavior in exchange for the FREE MONEY they're getting. And drugs are not ever a part of that behavior.

Getting welfare *is* a choice. Applications have to be filled out, signed and submitted. There's a better choice to take responsibility for one's own life, quit squeezing out kids and GET A JOB!
If you want everyone off of welfare, then YOU go and get them all jobs, in this awful economy.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-15-2010 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: off topic/personal

Old 12-14-2010, 05:58 PM

5,645 posts, read 4,131,389 times
Quote:
This is still a free country, even for the poor!
They are also free to not be on welfare. If they want welfare, they have to deal with restrictions and lose a little bit of freedom in exchange for us paying their way.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Why is there any expectation that anyone feeding at the public trough is entitled to privacy to the point where engaging in illegal activity at taxpayer expense is something that should not be exposed?

You want privacy? Then take full responsibility for providing for yourself and your offspring! If I as a taxpayer am paying for what you have - food, lodging, lottery tickets, big screen TV, cigarettes, beer, bingo, weed, etc., - then you're subject to my inspection at any time. If those terms are unacceptable, or you are unable to comply due to character defects, then no more money. Simple enough? Privacy is not an option when suckling at the taxpayers' teat!

I took/take drug tests at work and am subject to thorough (and very intrusive) background investigations on a regular basis. Gee, all that and I still have to actually *work* for my money too! Why can't *I* just sit home, fire up my taxpayer-provided bong and have the check magically appear?

Well said.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
If you want everyone off of welfare, then YOU go and get them all jobs, in this awful economy.
I am looking for about 18 more people for our restaurant. As I've said multiple times, jobs are out there, it's just a matter of looking.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-15-2010 at 03:37 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 07:06 PM

2,656 posts, read 1,965,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm not talking about things everyone can use like parks, fire, police, libraries, etc. I'm talking about something special that is given to you b/c you don't feel like getting a job or closing your legs.

Come on, now, you knew that.
So according to your statement all those who need to collect benefits such as food stamps DONT want to work & they all sleep around ?
I'm shocked & surprised < NOT

Last edited by sindey; 12-14-2010 at 07:28 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 07:51 PM

4,790 posts, read 4,034,630 times
Quote:
If you want everyone off of welfare, then YOU go and get them all jobs, in this awful economy. And your pathetic 'overshooting the bottle' remark, shows that you've 'overshot' the boundries of sanity. So now, you've shown everyone on this thread, that you belong in a rubber room!
Nope. I got ME a job and expect others to do the same. How, you ask? By preparing for one - starting with an A.A., followed by a B.Sc., then added two M.Sc. degrees! I guess the old 'party-hearty in high school' plan may work for some, but I just didn't feel that call. So now I'm working while some others do not. The downside is that the tax dollars I pay are passed on to them. I see signs every day advertising available jobs, but I guess all the Ph.D.'s sitting in front of the xBox are too good to work for minimum wage when they can collect a check just as easy and not have to pass any drug tests. You see at least one member here looking for 18 people, and I'll bet those jobs are still empty tomorrow. I think a better motivator than me looking for jobs for the welfare recipients is to cut them off the dole. Hunger is a powerful reason to find gainful employment. Very effective, too!

Didn't get the bottle humor, eh? You need to chill a bit!

Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,316,400 times
I voted 'no'.
Either everyone in the nation gets tested for drugs, or no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies