Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Goodness, how many times do I have to say this? Start a new thread if you want to know our opinions on that!
If you don't like what I say, then don't respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times
Quote:
I don't know, I just see it as a cost of doing business, I guess.

More mooching off the state by corporations, lovely. I believe you, and I think it's wrong for the companies to have taken advantage like that.

It seems there has to be a happy medium in here somewhere.
The "happy medium" has been found. We help the people who live in poverty in this country because we are NOT barbarians. We, at least up to this point, are a civilized society. It is absolutely SHAMEFUL that we, as such a wealthy country for all these years, have people living in desperate poverty. Did you ever drive through Overtown in Miami? Or other similar neighborhoods?

We are not in DEBT because of the cost of food stamps or other welfare programs which help the poor in our midst to physically survive another day. The absurd generalizations about poor people in this thread are just disgusting. We are NOT all born equal. If you were fortunate enough to be born into a good family, with a high level of intelligence, enough food to eat, a good education, WHAT DO YOU OWE SOCIETY?

I'm constantly awed by the posts on this board which indicate that people think they OWE NOTHING at all, that are all about ME, MINE, and HOW MUCH MORE CAN I GET, the GREED is disgusting.

Do you even have a clue how much of YOUR TAX money specifically is spent to provide food stamps for the poor as opposed to hire private war contractors to do horrific things in your name?

Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
control freaks. LOL

Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Absolutely "YES"!

And let them do volunteer work instead of all the work that many (not all) of them do but get paid for under the table to avoid getting less benefits.

Btw if you look at the cars when the foodbank is held...OMG it seems they have money to fill up their gas cause most of the huge trucks will use a lot of gas....we don't see small cars, only huge trucks.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Absolutely "YES"!

And let them do volunteer work instead of all the work that many (not all) of them do but get paid for under the table to avoid getting less benefits.

Btw if you look at the cars when the foodbank is held...OMG it seems they have money to fill up their gas cause most of the huge trucks will use a lot of gas....we don't see small cars, only huge trucks.
^^^BS.

Of coures, yes, let's beat the hell out of poor people BECAUSE WE CAN. When life is hard for us, we can always take pleasure that there are people who have it harder, and we can (fortunately in our view) BLAME THEM and scapegoat them all day and feel better at night when we watch our million-channels of cable TV and have a great wonderful dinner in our nice, warm, comfortable homes.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:32 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
It has nothing to do with not liking what you say, it's about not bringing things up that derail the thread and then choosing to ignore threads that ARE created to discuss these things. What are you so afraid of? God forbid you might actually agree with some of us.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
So you are fine with Medicaid? It's just food stamps you object to giving to people who are poor? Do you realize that when someone applies for food stamps they are also asked if they want to sign up for Medicaid? Additionally, does Medicaid pay for prescriptions?

Also, is it possible to live on "welfare" forever? If so, please explain that one for us.

Generalize much, andrea?
If someone is honestly having a hard time, yes, I agree with Medicaid. If they need an anxiolytic b/c they are upset about their situation, fine. Yes, Medicaid does pay for scripts, at least in FL. What does the food stamp/Medicaid thing have to do with this argument? As I have said, if someone is having a tough time, food stamps are okay temporarily, I just do not agree with buying sodas, chips and crap with the EBT card.

It is possible to live on welfare for an extended period of time, just ask the generations of people living off it. It's simple, just keep popping out babies, not having a job...that's really all there is to it. TANF I know has a limit in FL of five years, but food stamps, section 8, WIC even, these things can go on for YEARS, some of them can even go on for life. Just look at the abuse of the disability system, after 2 years they are eligible for Medicare. SSI folks get food stamps. SSDIers usually don't but it's based on how much you're getting. I know for a fact they will not kick you off food stamps, Medicaid or section 8, for starters, unless you admit to having a job or somehow being able to pay your bills without assistance. If someone is scamming the system, do you honestly think they will be truthful about this type of thing?

Assume, much, about your fellow posters?

Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
The "happy medium" has been found. We help the people who live in poverty in this country because we are NOT barbarians. We, at least up to this point, are a civilized society. It is absolutely SHAMEFUL that we, as such a wealthy country for all these years, have people living in desperate poverty. Did you ever drive through Overtown in Miami? Or other similar neighborhoods?

We are not in DEBT because of the cost of food stamps or other welfare programs which help the poor in our midst to physically survive another day. The absurd generalizations about poor people in this thread are just disgusting. We are NOT all born equal. If you were fortunate enough to be born into a good family, with a high level of intelligence, enough food to eat, a good education, WHAT DO YOU OWE SOCIETY?

I'm constantly awed by the posts on this board which indicate that people think they OWE NOTHING at all, that are all about ME, MINE, and HOW MUCH MORE CAN I GET, the GREED is disgusting.

Do you even have a clue how much of YOUR TAX money specifically is spent to provide food stamps for the poor as opposed to hire private war contractors to do horrific things in your name?

Then perhaps we should stop taxing people to death, encourage church attendance and let the churches handle welfare.

I don't owe jack to society, I help charities and individuals where I can and live a productive life. What do you think I owe "society"?

I'm not a greedy person at all, you should really not say things like that when you don't know someone.

I'm not discussing the war here, that's another thread, but FWIW, I don't agree with the wars.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:43 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,640 times
Don't worry thread I'll save you!

nooooooooooooo
1. standard drug tests don't work
2. It's wasting even more of the tax payers $$$$$
3. it wouldn't change anything even if the tests did work

wake up America. you're surounded by stoners every day................. you just don't know it.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:55 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,988 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with not liking what you say, it's about not bringing things up that derail the thread and then choosing to ignore threads that ARE created to discuss these things. What are you so afraid of? God forbid you might actually agree with some of us.

THIS from the queen of derailing threads?.....It doesn't get past me that YOU are on every single thread where ANYTHING to do with the poor are concerned.......Coincidence?
The only thing I will agree with is job training.....otherwise I have nothing (thankfully) in common with you where the 'poor' are concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies