Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 09:30 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
As far as alcohol goes, it's leagle and there would be massive amounts of lawyers involved and such.
What if someone had a few beers at a neighbors house?
There is Hardly anyone having a few injections of Herion at a friends house, the friends need it for themselves.
What if somebody had a few bong hits at their friend's house? Do you place them in the same category as heroin addicts? Most drug tests do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 09:30 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I think Drug testing should be given on a regular basis.. It dont even have to be monthly, just a random thing. Addicts are addicts and NEED their drug of choice, It would not be hard to catch them with their "pants down" so to speak.

As far as alcohol goes, it's leagle and there would be massive amounts of lawyers involved and such.
What if someone had a few beers at a neighbors house?
There is Hardly anyone having a few injections of Herion at a friends house, the friends need it for themselves.
LOL That is a good point.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I never argued with that, did I? I've only maintained that it's not our business, and we don't have the right to dictate their spending... I'm a taxpayer too, so aren't I entitled to opinions? Bottom line, there are some people who will always scam the system & misuse money, whether they're receiving welfare or not. You can't force people to become productive, responsible, law-abiding citizens if they don't want to - no matter how much we whine about it. I believe the government already does what's possible to control the situation, and can't think of any better solutions for this problem. Now do you understand my position?
You are perfectly entitled to your own opinion.

I take issue with this: "there are some people who will always scam the system & misuse money, whether they're receiving welfare or not. You can't force people to become productive, responsible, law-abiding citizens if they don't want to - no matter how much we whine about it."

First of all, if you're not receiving welfare, you can't scam the system. If you are misusing your own money, I couldn't care less as it is your money to misuse.

Second of all, you CAN indeed force people to be at least law-abiding citizens, that's what we have laws, judges and jails for, right?

I understand, thank you for clarifying.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
"Luxuries" like the internet is the WAY PEOPLE GET JOBS THESE DAYS! Even places like WalMart require people to apply online.
As has been discussed, there are libraries with free Internet access and restaurants with free Wifi. Heck, even McDonald's has free Wifi (as do the libraries).

In addition, Walmart has that little kiosk you can use if you want to go down there to fill out an app.

Quote:
You know, the total amount of money you pay for taxes would be an interesting place to start. Why don't YOU figure out the amount of money you paid in taxes last year, then figure out what percentage of those taxes went to welfare programs......maybe look at the entire percentage of our budget which goes to welfare programs in order to figure out what percentage of YOUR tax money went to those welfare bums. Be sure to keep in mind that NOT all of YOUR tax money which goes to social programs will go to food stamps. Why don't you try to figure out approximately in real dollars how much money YOU personally contribute to help sustain the needy in this country via your "taxpayer" money?
Do you know how long that would take? I have no interest in doing this. All I know is that if I'm paying even a dime for someone's food, housing, utilities, medical bills, etc., I should have some kind of right to ensure they are not defrauding the system.

Note that the HHS budget is the second biggest and is only beaten out by the DOD.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
First of all, if you're not receiving welfare, you can't scam the system. If you are misusing your own money, I couldn't care less as it is your money to misuse.
In that sense, I was referring to illegally obtaining one's money. If those people who are "professional scammers" aren't receiving welfare, I guarantee they still won't get a job to earn their money... they'll turn to things like selling drugs, running scams, filing for other forms of support (like SSDI), panhandling, mooching, stealing, etc.

Quote:
Second of all, you CAN indeed force people to be at least law-abiding citizens, that's what we have laws, judges and jails for, right?
Of course... if they get CAUGHT. And what about repeat offenders? Even arrests and jail doesn't get through their heads, so once again, you can't force people to BE law-abiding citizens. You can force them to cease their activities while incarcerated, but they could get right back to it the second they're released. Face it, we can't control everything, and bad people will always exist. We (as a society) do what we can, but there are some people who will bilk the "system." What else can we do but penalize those who are caught? That's already being done, isn't it?

Old 12-24-2010, 09:42 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
seems hard to sort out prescriptions... they may be legal or not. and then with medicinal pot... where would you draw the line? For me Tylenol is poison but many don't care it lodges in your liver permanently... (same as the dye in mountain Dew)... it seems our definition of drug use could vary. and heaven help those that like poppy seed muffins...
To many vegans, even meat is poison. The air that we breath is so polluted now, too. Same goes for the polluted oceans. I guess we're all eating, drinking, and breathing in some form of poison. Guess life just isn't pure and healthy anymore.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Do you know how long that would take? I have no interest in doing this. All I know is that if I'm paying even a dime for someone's food, housing, utilities, medical bills, etc., I should have some kind of right to ensure they are not defrauding the system.
I think you should follow your OWN advice, from another thread I was just reading. You said: "I'm honestly very sick of the sense of entitlement people have. Your argument is that you pay taxes so you have a right to that money. No, you don't, you pay into a gigantic fund used to pay for EVERYTHING the gov't does."

So if you feel this way about taxes, why do you feel entitled to know how everyone's spending their welfare? Isn't it just a big pool for the government to spend as they see fit? Obviously they don't see a point in tightening welfare legislation/spending, or they would have done it by now.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:57 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
I believe that the best measurement of the health of any society is how the rulers treat the most disadvantaged of their population. Every society has it's ball and chain of the disposessed, diseased, and those that fall on unfortunate circumstances. Either Society makes a choice to carry that ball and advance together or they choose to cut the chain and disassociate itself from the lowest common denominator of the social fabric. One route is based on compassion the other is based on social separation. All societies that discriminate and demonize their underclass have been ultimately doomed to the scrap heap of history. Only by showing compassion and a willingness to accept the entire social structure and advance into the future together does a nation prosper. Ultimately, a nation is only as good as the least of it's citizens.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I believe that the best measurement of the health of any society is how the rulers treat the most disadvantaged of their population. Every society has it's ball and chain of the disposessed, diseased, and those that fall on unfortunate circumstances. Either Society makes a choice to carry that ball and advance together or they choose to cut the chain and disassociate itself from the lowest common denominator of the social fabric. One route is based on compassion the other is based on social separation. All societies that discriminate and demonize their underclass have been ultimately doomed to the scrap heap of history. Only by showing compassion and a willingness to accept the entire social structure and advance into the future together does a nation prosper. Ultimately, a nation is only as good as the least of it's citizens.

Says who. This isn't always true, althought we might like it to be.

Sometimes things can't saved. Like an amputee for example, sometimes the "ball and chain" has to be cut off to save the rest of the person.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:46 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Says who. This isn't always true, althought we might like it to be.

Sometimes things can't saved. Like an amputee for example, sometimes the "ball and chain" has to be cut off to save the rest of the person.
Thak you for taking the time to read my post and respond but I respectfully disagree with your conclusions. A nation cannot cut off a segment of it's population or demonize them as second class citizens, for then you create an enemy from within. A nation must find a way to deal with it's least fortunate in a compassionate, humane manner. I still conclude that we are only as strong as the least of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies