Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 07:22 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

90% of private employers, drug test their applicants and make them take a physical each year, for their insurance requirements.

Governments don't do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
90% of private employers, drug test their applicants and make them take a physical each year, for their insurance requirements.

I'd love to see a cite for that. In the low-wage world - what liberals call the secondary job market - benefits are not the norm.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When you're taking money out of my wallet and giving it to someone else I have an interest in how those funds are spent.

Do you enjoy ANY tax breaks? Itemize deductions? Got tax credits? Untaxed fringe benefits at work? Tax-deferred retirement plan?

Are you okay with drug testing for people who get tax breaks?

I have never had a tax break beyond the standard deduction and personal exemption which everybody gets, so I say people with tax breaks are getting money out of my wallet.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
If you have money for drugs? The way I look at is you're enabling them. I know the common argument is you're hurting the children of these people but frankly if you're testing positive for drugs and you're on welfare they have no concern for their kids whether it's brought on by addiction or not. The kids see very little or none of that money.

Yes I would agree. The "War on Drugs" is lost cause and they should be fully legalized, shift that money to treatment however I'd still fully support testing welfare recipients legal or not.

What if you don't have money for drugs but your boyfriend gives you free drugs? There's no connection in this case between tax dollars and drug use.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:16 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,564 times
Quote:
If you have money for drugs? The way I look at is you're enabling them. I know the common argument is you're hurting the children of these people but frankly if you're testing positive for drugs and you're on welfare they have no concern for their kids whether it's brought on by addiction or not. The kids see very little or none of that money.

Yes I would agree. The "War on Drugs" is lost cause and they should be fully legalized, shift that money to treatment however I'd still fully support testing welfare recipients legal or not.
This is overly simplified. You are talking about a drug addict. Someone who has done recreational drugs such as MJ would be part of that, while serious stuff could go undetected. You have no idea if someone is a regular user or not or whether they are even paying for it.

Regardless they need to eat. You think they can go buy drugs with their little card? We have way more people strung out on prescription meds, that are way more dangerous that would also go unaffected by this.

This isn't about getting people help. If anything it keeps them from help. You think they just vaporize and go away?
Our society is totally medieval about this. This is about control, profit and condemning people.
Amazing all the money people are willing to spend to keep someone from eating, ignore the corporate welfare which is far more expensive and damaging to joe taxpayer.

Understand I am not a fan of ANY govt subsidies. The govt does a horrible job. Private charities are far better at this.
Unfortunately the govt owns and controls almost everything, has driven it into the ground, making profits it doesn't share with you even though you funded it. People are stuck and suffering. The govt is the most responsible. Only "we the people" can change that.

Last edited by CDusr; 09-15-2012 at 02:25 AM..

Old 09-15-2012, 02:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:

I'm sure you have some credible links to back this up.
I've never been required to take a physical unless I was going to a conflict zone and I've never been required to take a drug test.

Federal applications tell you if you're required to be tested and for certain jobs, of course you are.

Might want to have some facts to back up your "desired facts" because they aren't facts at all.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yep. all should be included.
The rest of us out here are and since the taxpayers pay your salary..................
I'm a taxpayer too, and since it's a local-level job, I actually pay more of my salary than you do - and I say no drug testing, which by your logic should be the final word. Not to mention, there's a huge difference between receiving government assistance, and working for a public-funded salary. I go to work and provide a service for that money, also pay taxes (a LOT) on each check, so it should be mine to spend as I please. We sign a drug & alcohol policy upon hiring, stating we won't use any substances on the job, and that should be sufficient enough.

Btw, drug testing isn't all that common around here. I worked in private-sector jobs for many years before becoming a librarian, and not once was I subjected to testing. We also have the added complication of medical MJ, which could definitely lead to some sticky legal questions - it's already being debated, in fact

Quote:
All of them.
Luckily you guys don't make these decisions, and as of now, only select counties/cities require drug testing for their employees. Mine doesn't, so you will have to live with that knowledge - but rest assured, your books are safe with me.

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-15-2012 at 04:40 AM..

Old 09-15-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
What happened to equal treatment of everyone.

Your picking the winners & losers, already.
How so?? I don't believe in testing anyone really, so how am I "picking and choosing?"

Old 09-15-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Likely was referring to the part that non tax paying individuals are getting.
And I was saying the taxpayers can't call the shots either... like it or not, that just isn't how our system works!

Quote:
Yes but you or I can voice our opinions and that is why we have representatives in government. I don't know what kind of support there is for this type of legislation publically but I'll have to assume the majority support drug testing. Doing a quick search I'm not coming with any major organizations with a poll.
Of course you can voice your opinions, but support for this type of legislation seems to be mixed. Here:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/0...aid-after.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/26/us...ents.html?_r=0
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/...-shows/1225721

From that last article - "Required drug tests for people seeking welfare benefits ended up costing taxpayers more than it saved and failed to curb the number of prospective applicants, data used against the state in an ongoing legal battle shows."

Last edited by gizmo980; 09-15-2012 at 04:46 AM..

Old 09-15-2012, 06:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
You think they can go buy drugs with their little card?
Yes,why is it you think these drug addicts steal meat? They aren't stealing it to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies