Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be required to submit to a drug screen before receiving unemployment benefits or welfa
Yes 118 65.19%
No 63 34.81%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,219,441 times

Advertisements

Drug-testing of welfare and UI recipients, is not only ineffective, but a ludicrous idea, no matter how you slice it. Don't know what was going through the OP's mind, when s/he created this thread. The idea of drug-testing welfare and UI benefit recipients, would be a legal nightmare, and will never fly.

Apparently, the OP, and others on this thread, want to deny welfare and UI benefit recipients, their constitutional and personal privacy rights, just because they're benefit recipients.

If an idea as absurd as mandatory drug-testing of welfare and UI benefit recipients ever flys, then it would likely touch off a civil war, between the poor and the rich. The poor have been pushed around enough. And they've continued to suffer through the slings-and-arrows, of the great recession.

Drug-testing of UI and welfare recipients, could be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back for the poor, and may cause them to rise-up in a massive rebellion. The resulting social unrest, would be a nightmare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,361,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Drug-testing of welfare and UI recipients, is not only ineffective, but a ludicrous idea, no matter how you slice it. Don't know what was going through the OP's mind, when s/he created this thread. The idea of drug-testing welfare and UI benefit recipients, would be a legal nightmare, and will never fly.

Apparently, the OP, and others on this thread, want to deny welfare and UI benefit recipients, their constitutional and personal privacy rights, just because they're benefit recipients.

If an idea as absurd as mandatory drug-testing of welfare and UI benefit recipients ever flys, then it would likely touch off a civil war, between the poor and the rich. The poor have been pushed around enough. And they've continued to suffer through the slings-and-arrows, of the great recession.

Drug-testing of UI and welfare recipients, could be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back for the poor, and may cause them to rise-up in a massive rebellion. The resulting social unrest, would be a nightmare!

so you would rather the poor who are on GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE be allowed to kill them selves, with smoking, drinking, and drugs

the poor have a higher percentage of heavy drinkers, a higher percentage of cigarette smokers, and a higher percentage of drug users

yes they should be tested and restricted...I dont mind my tax money taking care of the poor, and helping them in their need..............., but there is no way my tax money should be allowed to be used for them to smoke cigarettes, or get drunk or to do drugs.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so you would rather the poor who are on GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE be allowed to kill them selves, with smoking, drinking, and drugs

the poor have a higher percentage of heavy drinkers, a higher percentage of cigarette smokers, and a higher percentage of drug users

yes they should be tested and restricted...I dont mind my tax money taking care of the poor, and helping them in their need..............., but there is no way my tax money should be allowed to be used for them to smoke cigarettes, or get drunk or to do drugs.
You're advocating a fascist unconstitutional policy, against the poor. Well MY tax dollars are spent on corporate bail-outs, and absurd wars. So are yours. But, it's not your tax dollars that you're really worried about. Otherwise, you'd be up-in-arms about your tax dollars being wasted for things like the wars, and the corporate bail-outs.

What you're REALLY concerned with, is unconstitutional monitoring of benefit recipients, because you want to impose your judgemental attitudes on them. You're yet another person, who thinks that the poor are their own worst enemies, and keep themselves down.

In reality, the wealthy in this country, are the worst enemies of the poor. Especially the greedy corporations, right-wing polititians, and the big banks. The wealthy have screwed-up the economy in this country, NOT the poor.

No poor person is hurting ANYBODY, if they choose to have a glass of wine, or a beer now and then. And if they do go as far as abusing alcohol and drugs, then they're only hurting themselves. Besides, if the rich can buy alcohol, so should the poor. And I've got news for you, the rich abuse drugs and alcohol too, not just the poor. But you only want to monitor the poor!

This whole idea of drug-testing UI and welfare benefit ecipients, is a form of racism, because the poor are disproportionately made-up of minorities. So you, and other advocates of this hare-brained policy, aren't fooling anybody. You just want to impose racist, facist policies against poor minorities, and you're just using the 'my tax dollars' rant, as an excuse to do so.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
What you're REALLY concerned with, is unconstitutional monitoring of benefit recipients, because you want to impose your judgemental attitudes on them. You're yet another person, who thinks that the poor are their own worst enemies, and keep themselves down.

In reality, the wealthy in this country, are the worst enemies of the poor. Especially the greedy corporations, right-wing polititians, and the big banks. The wealthy have screwed-up the economy in this country, NOT the poor.

No poor person is hurting ANYBODY, if they choose to have a glass of wine, or a beer now and then. And if they do go as far as abusing alcohol and drugs, then they're only hurting themselves. Besides, If the rich can buy alcohol, so should the poor. And I've got news for you, the rich abuse drugs and alcohol too, not just the poor. But you only want to monitor the poor!

This whole idea of drug-testing UI and welfare benefit ecipients, is a form of racism, because the poor are disproportionately made-up of minorities. So you, and other advocates of this hare-brained policy, aren't fooling anybody. You just want to impose racist, facist policies against poor minorities, and you're just using the 'my tax dollars' rant, as an excuse to do so.

wow

1....You're yet another person, who thinks that the poor are their own worst enemies, and keep themselves down.........considering I have been poor, I can say 99% of the ones who are CONSTANTLY there, are there because they have NOT TRIED

2....No poor person is hurting ANYBODY,.......that's why most of the crime is commited by the poor...hmmm

3...If the rich can buy alcohol, so should the poor. .....and no-one is saying the poor cant buy (WITH THEIR OWBN MONEY) a drink...but are you to ADVOCATE that the poor person should be able to get thier nails done and go out on the town to the club and get drunk, while colecting money from taxpayers....sorry but I cant even afford to get my nails done, why should my taxdollar pay a welfare baby to get theirs done...

4....This whole idea of drug-testing UI and welfare benefit ecipients, is a form of racism, because the poor are disproportionately made-up of minorities. ......got a link for that stat..because there are more whites on welfare than any other group and how is it racist to ask for someone to ABIDE BY THE LAW, especially if they are on GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE......heck I work for the government and have to take a drug test regularly...but you call it racism...look in the mirror lady

Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
wow

1....You're yet another person, who thinks that the poor are their own worst enemies, and keep themselves down.........considering I have been poor, I can say 99% of the ones who are CONSTANTLY there, are there because they have NOT TRIED

2....No poor person is hurting ANYBODY,.......that's why most of the crime is commited by the poor...hmmm

3...If the rich can buy alcohol, so should the poor. .....and no-one is saying the poor cant buy (WITH THEIR OWBN MONEY) a drink...but are you to ADVOCATE that the poor person should be able to get thier nails done and go out on the town to the club and get drunk, while colecting money from taxpayers....sorry but I cant even afford to get my nails done, why should my taxdollar pay a welfare baby to get theirs done...

4....This whole idea of drug-testing UI and welfare benefit ecipients, is a form of racism, because the poor are disproportionately made-up of minorities. ......got a link for that stat..because there are more whites on welfare than any other group and how is it racist to ask for someone to ABIDE BY THE LAW, especially if they are on GOVERNMENT ASSISTANCE......heck I work for the government and have to take a drug test regularly...but you call it racism...look in the mirror lady
Don't give me this spiel about the poor 'abiding by the law'. The wealthy break the law all of the time. The corporations do that regularly. Bush stole not one, but TWO Presidential elections. These are just a couple of examples, mof how the rich can be criminals.

You're making this personal, by claiming that you 'can't get your nails done'. Guess you want to deny welfare recipients, the right to personal grooming. If you can't afford to get your own nails done, then maybe you should manage your budget better.

You also sound like you're jealous of those on welfare and UI benefits. People who live like that, have uncertain futures, because of the small amounts of money that they get. If you've got a job, ANY job in this economy, then consider yourself fortunate.

Furthermore, if you have a job that you don't like, and/or doesn't pay you enough, don't take it out on welfare and UI benefit recipients. They didn't cause you to be in the financial situation that you're in, and drug-testing them, won't get you out of it.

As for racism, there may be more whites on UI and welfare, but minorities are DISPROPORTIONATELY represented, among benefit recipients. But apparently, you can't get the concept of what disproportionate means.

Calling me a racist just because I point-out the racism in your argument, shows how wrong-headed you are. But I guess you should be congratulated, for having the most ignorant posts on this thread!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Don't give me this spiel about the poor 'abiding by the law'. The wealthy break the law all of the time. The corporations do that regularly. Bush stole not one, but TWO Presidential elections. These are just a couple of examples, mof how the rich can be criminals. who siad the rich didnt or couldnt commit crime...no-one said that..just because you assume, or cant read is not my problem.....btw what elections did bush steal???

You're making this personal, by claiming that you 'can't get your nails done'. Guess you want to deny welfare recipients, the right to personal grooming. If you can't afford to get your own nails done, then maybe you should manage your budget better.......the point is not that they cant do personal gromming..but LUXURIES should not be on taxpayer dollars..and I managee my finances just fine thank you

You also sound like you're jealous of those on welfare and UI benefits. People who live like that, have uncertain futures, because of the small amounts of money that they get. If you've got a job, ANY job in this economy, then consider yourself fortunate. I sound jealous...not at all, I feel for them, I want to help them..by again WHY should the taxpayer me and YOU be paying for a VICE???

Furthermore, if you have a job that you don't like, and/or doesn't pay you enough, don't take it out on welfare and UI benefit recipients. They didn't cause you to be in the financial situation that you're in, and drug-testing them, won't get you out of it.....oh it wont???? bet me..I work for the government..if they ARE INCAPIBLE of working, ie can get a good job because of drugs, then then need to be institutionalize in rehab until they are clean and are CAPIBLE of being hired

As for racism, there may be more whites on UI and welfare, but minorities are DISPROPORTIONATELY represented, among benefit recipients. But apparently, you can't get the concept of what disproportionate means. ...of change the stats when it suits you.....and why is it..certainly not because there are less oppertunities..

Calling me a racist just because I point-out the racism in your argument, shows how wrong-headed you are. But I guess you should be congratulated, for having the most ignorant posts on this thread! .....I said look in the mirror..you like 99% of your posts since you can onto this board in febuary have been race baiting, and racist...sorry lady, but you realy need to look in the mirror..because you fit the bill

mine in red

are you telling ne its ok for a person OF NEED who is getting the ASSISSTANCE from the government on a taxpayer dollar to go out and spend that money on drugs, when their baby is starving....if so then you need to rethink your priorities

Old 01-06-2011, 12:06 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,804,882 times
Quote:
As for racism, there may be more whites on UI and welfare, but minorities are DISPROPORTIONATELY represented, among benefit recipients.
and yet strangely enough, when that was pointed out in other threads, those posters were called "racists" and told that MORE "whites" were on welfare yada yada............

Seems you can't win for losing with some.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
mine in red

are you telling ne its ok for a person OF NEED who is getting the ASSISSTANCE from the government on a taxpayer dollar to go out and spend that money on drugs, when their baby is starving....if so then you need to rethink your priorities
I'm telling you, that it's not okay to require mandatory drug-testing of UI and welfare recipients. Period! Whether or not a baby 'starves' because their parents use drugs, is only an assumptive question. But I'll play along.

If a parent on welfare or UI benefits, is suspected of having a drug-problem that causes them to jeopardizes the recipients' children, then the local social servoices office, would be responsible for handling the situation.

It doesn't mean that it's okay to punish ALL welfare and UI benefit recipients and pry into their personal privacy, by requiring mandatory drug-tests. Your assumptions about what SOME welfare and UI recipients MIGHT do, doesn't justify mandatory drug-testing, for them ALL.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
and yet strangely enough, when that was pointed out in other threads, those posters were called "racists" and told that MORE "whites" were on welfare yada yada............

Seems you can't win for losing with some.
So you want to dredge-up things that I pointed out on other threads, and get off topic by doing so. Then that's your decision. But it's not adding anything relevant to THIS thread, or the subject matter contained within, which is: 'should welfare and UI benefit recipients be required to take drug tests?'

There are in fact, more whites on welfare. HOWEVER, as I pointed out, there are a DISPROPORTIONATE number of minorities collecting welfare and UI benefits, based on their numbers in the general population. This is something that you and other posters on this (and other threads), don't seem to grasp.

So all this ragging about the poor being 'lazy, addicted to drugs and alcohol, being irresponsible, and spending their money on ANYTHING other than food and shelter', smacks of racism. It's a form of racism by association, since minorities are in fact, disproportionately poor, and receiving welfare and UI benefits.

I never see you, or any other posters on this or any other threads, bashing the middle-class and the wealthy (who are mostly made up of whites), about wasting your tax dollars. It's always the poor, that you go after.

As I said before, if you're REALLY worried about your tax dollars being wasted, then why don't you ever target the wealthy polititians, corporations, Wall Streeters, Bankers, or the Pentagon, for your rants?? After all, THESE folks are doing much more damage to the country, and our pocketbooks, than the poor ever have, or ever will!

Old 01-06-2011, 01:15 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,078,485 times
Quote:

No poor person is hurting ANYBODY, if they choose to have a glass of wine, or a beer now and then. And if they do go as far as abusing alcohol and drugs, then they're only hurting themselves. Besides, if the rich can buy alcohol, so should the poor. And I've got news for you, the rich abuse drugs and alcohol too, not just the poor. But you only want to monitor the poor!
To keep this brief, alcohol is a perk in life, not a necessity. Someone being helped by other people should be focusing on necessities, and using them to get out of their current situation. I sure as hell want to buy top notch alcohol for myself too, but if I want to advance in life I know that money is better spent elsewhere. Why can't poor people think the same way. Middle class and rich people can buy all the alcohol or drugs they want, on their own dime.

And if people are using my anything, damn right I'm going to monitor it. Don't abuse it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies