U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:39 AM

26,487 posts, read 24,220,986 times

Advertisements

John Boehner used to be a Democrat - until he became a millionaire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
I know many Wealthy Millionaires both Democrat and Republician who both live and breath in Palm Springs. Does Palm Springs not allow or want any millionaires visiting their city. What is your problem with millionaires in general. Do you know how many famous Politicians both Parties are Millionaires, what is your point. I really don't give a crap who has more then me in life, or if they have more money, i have more then a lot of people. What does this prove. There are so many young People i do know who have a lot of money, they are black, white, Dems and Repubs, Millionaires come in all colors, and both parties. Who cares.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:35 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,180,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The Body Odd - Rich people have no idea what you're thinking

And this is why the Democratic Party is the more humanitarian party, and the Republican Party is less sensitive to the needs of the poor and disadvantaged in our society.
It depends on how you define 'empathy.' If you mean taking what one person has earned to give it to another who has not earned it, then I guess you're right.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:45 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,547,847 times
Part of me has occasional twitches of empathy. I pity the person that has nothing better to do then carouse all day and night. Think how much happier he would be hanging car doors in an auto factory with all his friends.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:54 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,851,276 times
Quote:
please elaborate on this fact...

i'm betting that his reasoning behind the change, and your reasoning behind his change are going to conflict....just a hunch.

Last edited by rugerjitsu; 12-14-2010 at 07:11 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 AM

11,128 posts, read 12,373,924 times
Poor people are more empathetic than the rich

Quote:
Upper-class people are less adept at reading other people's emotions than their lower-class counterparts, according to a new study published in the journal Psychological Science.
Quote:
The Body Odd - Rich people have no idea what you're thinking

And this is why the Democratic Party is the more humanitarian party, and the Republican Party is less sensitive to the needs of the poor and disadvantaged in our society.
Well thankfully they are this way, as what would life be like if the Lions on the Serengeti plains were to stop just before the moment of a kill and say, "awwww poor little gazelle". Well there wouldn't be any lions for starters.

Give me some time and I'll try and dig out another study on this very subject, as it is a subject of study I've spent the last 14 months with. In the study I'm referring to (paraphrasing) this lack of "empathy" which I haven't seen the details of the OP's study. Is it related to lack of mirror neurons, smaller sized Amagydala in the brain, or is it generally more likened to the all too familiar spectrum disorder related to Aspergers and high order autism?

This then begs the question, is it a good thing or bad thing, it is a born nature thing or due to up bringing and nurturing. The OP's article mentioned that lower classed people are more co-dependent thus must be more cooperative, well is this biological or due to conditioning?

If it is a conditioning thing, should we condition wealthy people to be more cooperative or should we condition lower class people to be less empathetic?

What would happen if our soldiers were more "empathetic", so we have to ask again, is this a good thing or bad thing or just the way life is.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 AM

19,634 posts, read 13,276,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

This then begs the question, is it a good thing or bad thing, it is a born nature thing or due to up bringing and nurturing. The OP's article mentioned that lower classed people are more co-dependent thus must be more cooperative, well is this biological or due to conditioning? .

A) Bad
B) Conditioning

Quote:
If it is a conditioning thing, should we condition wealthy people to be more cooperative or should we condition lower class people to be less empathetic?.
What?

Quote:
What would happen if our soldiers were more "empathetic", so we have to ask again, is this a good thing or bad thing or just the way life is.
Less war? Is that good or bad?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 AM

11,128 posts, read 12,373,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
A) Bad
B) Conditioning
C) where is the evidence to support this? Especially considering that this study didn't even delve into the aspects of why, but only lack of empathy.

Quote:
Less war? Is that good or bad?
Generally speaking, the vast majority of wars are certainly a bad thing, but unfortunately, having to have soldiers who fight is necessary if and when those conditions arise. So as much as I hate war, I don't want my country defended by soldiers charging out on the battlefield to go pet kittens.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 AM

33,316 posts, read 14,541,521 times
Quote:
Please validate your assertion.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:22 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,741,978 times
The liberals love to trumpet their "compassion" for the poor, disadvantaged, minorites
etc. when, if fact, they're simply using those groups to their own advantage. Creating
a voter base by encouraging dependency is not helping anyone except the democratic party.

Both parties have lost sight of the fact that, no matter who their voter base is, they're
supposed to be serving the best interests of the country, the whole country, not special interest groups expecting to be paid back for their support.

On the other hand, the voters have to be held to the same standards. When people only vote for their own special interests or to vote against another party, you end up with what we have today - a government so beholden to certain segments of the population (i.e. unions) that it's impossible to govern in the best interests of the country as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies