Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 08:14 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,636 times

Advertisements

One doesn't even have to hazard a public airport anymore to have their 4th Amendment Constitutional rights stolen. Now you can do it on the road.

Many states have instituted checkpoints on our roads, often ostensibly to check for possible DUIs, but which require one to stop, provide ID, etc. American courts have sanctioned these procedures, and American courts have thus abridged the US Constitution, as such procedures a direct violation of your 4th Amendment rights.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." [1]

The key to the law in this, the very one our government is ignoring, is that one has a Constitutional right to remain unmolested unless they have done something to warrant closer investigation. In other words, innocent unless proven guilty, or some good reason to think so.

Now, they have broadened a policy which was already wrong, stopping anyone without due suspicion, and demanding that one either submit to a breathalyzer test, or have a blood sample taken on the spot. [2] Thus, they are contending the right to stop you anytime they like, with no reason, and force you to provide a physical specimen of yourself.

Others have questioned the Constitutional merits of such a scheme, feeling many judges may prove unwilling to hand out blanket warrants without cause:
“That sounds absolutely illegal,” said criminal lawyer and CNN legal pundit Michelle Suskauer. “The law keeps blood drawing only for special circumstances. Other states do (blood tests at DUI checkpoints). Some get away with it. Others don’t. This will be challenged in court.”

Added barrister David Olson, who specializes both in civil rights and DUIs: “You can’t go around sticking needles in people. Unless you’re in an accident that caused serious bodily harm. I doubt that a judge will sign their warrant.”
[3]
You should know that this is illegal, un-Constitutional, and they are doing it to you and your fellow American citizens.

1) 'U.S. Constitution: Fourth Amendment,' FindLaw
FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Fourth Amendment

2) 'Feds plan more drunk driving checkpoints,' NBC News
msnbc.com Video Player

3) 'There will be blood, at DUI checkpoints,' Jose a Page 2 Live
There will be blood, at DUI checkpoints | Jose Lambiet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 08:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
One doesn't even have to hazard a public airport anymore to have their 4th Amendment Constitutional rights stolen. Now you can do it on the road.

Many states have instituted checkpoints on our roads, often ostensibly to check for possible DUIs, but which require one to stop, provide ID, etc. American courts have sanctioned these procedures, and American courts have thus abridged the US Constitution, as such procedures a direct violation of your 4th Amendment rights.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." [1]

The key to the law in this, the very one our government is ignoring, is that one has a Constitutional right to remain unmolested unless they have done something to warrant closer investigation. In other words, innocent unless proven guilty, or some good reason to think so.

Now, they have broadened a policy which was already wrong, stopping anyone without due suspicion, and demanding that one either submit to a breathalyzer test, or have a blood sample taken on the spot. [2] Thus, they are contending the right to stop you anytime they like, with no reason, and force you to provide a physical specimen of yourself.

Others have questioned the Constitutional merits of such a scheme, feeling many judges may prove unwilling to hand out blanket warrants without cause:
“That sounds absolutely illegal,” said criminal lawyer and CNN legal pundit Michelle Suskauer. “The law keeps blood drawing only for special circumstances. Other states do (blood tests at DUI checkpoints). Some get away with it. Others don’t. This will be challenged in court.”

Added barrister David Olson, who specializes both in civil rights and DUIs: “You can’t go around sticking needles in people. Unless you’re in an accident that caused serious bodily harm. I doubt that a judge will sign their warrant.”
[3]
You should know that this is illegal, un-Constitutional, and they are doing it to you and your fellow American citizens.

1) 'U.S. Constitution: Fourth Amendment,' FindLaw
FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Fourth Amendment

2) 'Feds plan more drunk driving checkpoints,' NBC News
msnbc.com Video Player

3) 'There will be blood, at DUI checkpoints,' Jose a Page 2 Live
There will be blood, at DUI checkpoints | Jose Lambiet
I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong. But it is my understanding that in Missouri, if you refuse a breathalizer test, they can FORCE you to submit to a blood test. (I don't know if you have to be in an accident, or if they can do it just on a traffic stop.)

Please, someone tell me I am wrong.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-13-2010, 08:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I hope that someone will correct me if I am wrong. But it is my understanding that in Missouri, if you refuse a breathalizer test, they can FORCE you to submit to a blood test. (I don't know if you have to be in an accident, or if they can do it just on a traffic stop.)

Please, someone tell me I am wrong.

20yrsinBranson
There are certain qualifiers where the driver is "deemed" to have given consent. I believe the following link is the Missouri Statute to which you refer:

Section 577-020 Chemical tests for alcohol content of b

The 4th Amendment has been dead in Missouri for a very long time.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,449 times
I'm sure it's constitutional for the feds to search under the "interstate commerce" clause; everything else is.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Oh yes, that sounds awesome. Let us let people drink way the hell too much and kill people.

Maybe you should tell the surviving member of this family:
Wrong-way drunk driver kills family - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com
Why it is important to let people's stupid decisions kill 4 out of the 5 of this family instead of submitting people to breathalyzer tests.

The only people who would ever willingly defend that crap are people who have been caught doing it.

I would hate to wish this sort of thing to happen to other people, but for some without empathy for others it is the sort of thing that would be an important lesson.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There are certain qualifiers where the driver is "deemed" to have given consent. I believe the following link is the Missouri Statute to which you refer:

Section 577-020 Chemical tests for alcohol content of b

The 4th Amendment has been dead in Missouri for a very long time.
Thanks for the link.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies