Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:26 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
For those knowledgeable legal folks...there must be a legal way to transfer ownership or money into corporations/holdings (maybe during life) to avoid the money grabbers from taking and redistributing to whose wanting handouts?
Sure, and most wealthy people are savvy enough to have every mechanism in place to protect as much of their wealth as possible.

Again, so much time wasted by the "have nots," concerning themselves with the problems of the super rich. I just don't get it. "They" can take care of themselves, and have enough money to hire people who can take care of sheltering their assets from the tax man. Don't worry about the problems of the rich, cause they sure as hell don't worry about your problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 02:49 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's a "gain" and should be taxed just like receiving the items in other manners.
It's pretty simple people.

Yes, it is pretty simple. It's not a gain at all. I should be allowed to give my assets to my family without the greedy tax man getting anything.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Does the inheritor pay twice on the income, no. In fact depending upon the what is being inherited, life insurance for example, it may have never been taxed before.
Inherited insurance in not taxable..

Old 12-15-2010, 03:18 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Sure, and most wealthy people are savvy enough to have every mechanism in place to protect as much of their wealth as possible.

Again, so much time wasted by the "have nots," concerning themselves with the problems of the super rich. I just don't get it. "They" can take care of themselves, and have enough money to hire people who can take care of sheltering their assets from the tax man. Don't worry about the problems of the rich, cause they sure as hell don't worry about your problems.
The wealthy don't have all those tax breaks you're trying to give them credit for.
One example, and I'm sure there are many thousands...
The O'Malley family owned the LA Dodgers. For 50 years the O’Malley family owned and operated the Dodgers in the manner of a family business. Peter realized if he were to pass on, it would BK the family who inherited the club. The only tax break he could find was to sell the family business, so he bailed out.. He was forced to sell the family business that the family had build and nurtured for over 50 years because of the greedy government want to take something they weren't entitled to..
You leave an asset worth $500 million to someone, and tell them they better write a check to the government for $250 million, and we want it NOW...! Where is someone going to come up with that kind of money..? They can't, so the gov takes it all for non-payment...

Old 12-15-2010, 03:24 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
New gains plain and simple. Those who are being left the "assets" are not the direct recipients of the income stream derived from that investment or string of assets. They are inheriting a cash flow/stream that is outside of their direct sphere of ownership. Hence, not double taxation, but a new gain.
So is it safe to assume that, should I inherit a family heirloom, you believe the government should attempt to get a piece of it?

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 12-15-2010 at 04:44 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
For those knowledgeable legal folks...there must be a legal way to transfer ownership or money into corporations/holdings (maybe during life) to avoid the money grabbers from taking and redistributing to whose wanting handouts?
That depends..
To be legal, I can create a corporation, put assets in that corporation, and then transfer the stock ownership of the corporation to my children which would avoid the government knowing about the transfer. This would be illegal unless the transfer of stock ownership is done over numerous years and is below the federal limit on gifting. This doesnt say this cant be done..

One could also create a land trust to hold ownership of the assets, and then transfer the trustee over from yourself to your children, this transfers control of the assets to your children while allowing the ownership of the trust to remain hidden. You could transfer the ownership of the trust to your children, but this again, woudlnt be legal.

Either of these scenarios could easily happen and it would be completely hidden from the government..

Or you could do what the Gates are doing.. create a charitiable trust, donate all of your assets to the trust, and then allow your children a position on the board which will allow them to receive a paycheck forever, and avoid the inheritance tax completely.. While they would be taxed at a paycheck rate, this is far cheaper than the inheritance tax...

Old 12-15-2010, 04:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Depends on whether you would claim that it was money that YOU yourself earned.

I'd lean towards "new gains".

Old 12-15-2010, 05:09 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO9Pq...layer_embedded#!

Interesting argument from Democrats.. YOUR DEAD.. Its not YOUR money..
Is this guy for real? He pull off such immature act in front of national TV. I meant, serious, we elected this jerk off to office? As a NYer for 20 years, I am ashamed of myself.

These morons are so out of touch. He talked about debt and debt and debt. It seem to them, the solution is more taxing is the solution. They can just continue their reckless spending because they can just keep on taxing. After all, to them, whatever they don't tax, it's a gift to the rest of you. It's NOT your money. It's theirs.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:25 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,766,243 times
The estate tax needs to go. It's an inefficient way to raise revenue for the federal government and isn't fair.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
My answer is to transfer my estate while I am alive then spend everything left and die with my estate as deep in debt as I can manage. No tax problem at that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies