U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:04 PM

19,317 posts, read 20,209,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Merely your opinion. You don't know what his intentions were or are.
Nor do you. But I'll put my approximations up against yours, any day. Ta-Nehisi Coates you ain't.

Quote:
You'll do better not to try and tell me how to write in your white man's language.
Actually, it''s OUR language, skin color notwithstanding, whether you like it or not.

Quote:
I hope you understand that I have considered that you are arrogant and pompous enough to presume you have any knowledge of either my beliefs or those of the President.
I understand your considerations quite well. They are those of one who confuses differences of opinion with personal attacks.

Good luck getting past that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:08 PM

9,857 posts, read 6,753,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I ask this because a group of blacks in my office were talking about this and they all seemed to agree that they didnt know anyone that celebrated this holiday NOT to stir up any racial BS. They seemed to infer that this was some sort of made up or faux holiday. I personally have never meet anyone that celebrates it but hey I'm white. Yet I do see more and more Happy Kwanzaa mentioned during the holiday season. Why is this?

The histoy of Kwanzaa is listed below. Take a look at the background of the black nationalist who invented it. He seems to be quite the nefarious character to me. Convicted of touturing women???

"In 1971, Karenga "was sentenced to one to ten years in prison on counts of felonious assault and false imprisonment". One of the victims gave testimony of how Karenga tortured her and another woman whom he had accused of attempting to assassinate him."

Kwanzaa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maulana Karenga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It is a made up thing IMO, but I know of no violence or problems personally associated with it as we do have with Islam.
If it makes people happy and hurts no one, why not?

I haven't met a Kwanzaa person yet. I take it they would be nice.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,207 times
I agree with you. Amazing how our past is remembered yet the good is not shared.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,054,393 times
Well FTD has gifts if one does celebrate but mostly boxes of candy and only 6 choices.
Kwanzaa Flowers and Gifts

Old 12-23-2010, 12:50 PM

19,556 posts, read 18,772,195 times
Small point and it may have already been mentioned but Swahili is an EAST African language.

As most black people in the USA would be descendants of West Africans,this is not a language that would have been spoken by their ancestors.

Not sure why the person who made up this 'holiday' chose Swahili in the first place...

Old 12-23-2010, 03:13 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,971,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Small point and it may have already been mentioned but Swahili is an EAST African language.

As most black people in the USA would be descendants of West Africans,this is not a language that would have been spoken by their ancestors.

Not sure why the person who made up this 'holiday' chose Swahili in the first place...
That's kind of my point; many African Americans of that time adopted Swahili as the sort of old-country lingua franca, even though we are not of primarily East African descent.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
That's kind of my point; many African Americans of that time adopted Swahili as the sort of old-country lingua franca, even though we are not of primarily East African descent.
Would that not be like a European of Romanian descent adopting Flemish as their language?

In other words,a little nonsensical?

Perhaps it is because the person who made up this holiday saw movies like 'King Solomon's Mine' and the like???LOL

Old 12-23-2010, 03:32 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,971,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Would that not be like a European of Romanian descent adopting Flemish as their language?

In other words,a little nonsensical?

Perhaps it is because the person who made up this holiday saw movies like 'King Solomon's Mine' and the like???LOL
Big difference is, the European knew he was Romanian. There was no uncertainty. The AA has/had no idea, though he (Karenga) may have done some research and adopted a language such as Yoruba or Mende.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:36 PM

10,401 posts, read 8,378,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Hahah after reading your post I am definitely going to come up to random black people and say "Happy Kwanzaa!!". I can't believe people actually do that. ****ing priceless!!!
Careful they might think you saying something derogatory and deck you.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Big difference is, the European knew he was Romanian. There was no uncertainty. The AA has/had no idea, though he (Karenga) may have done some research and adopted a language such as Yoruba or Mende.
I believe it has been known for quite some time where most slaves were taken from.

Perhaps it was more to identify with the various liberation movements in East Africa...

But it changes little in regards to the overall silliness of celebrating an 'ancestral' festival in a language your ancestors would not have spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies