U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:50 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,132,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I'm unclear what point you are trying to make with the "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's." It is another passage about paying taxes. There is no reference to how much to pay in taxes.

Why is it that tax collectors are considered "serious" sinners? Could it just maybe be because of the way they collected taxes and the excess amount of taxes they collected. Particularly since the excess was used to make themselves wealthy at the expense of the poor workers and laborers.

The Roman provinces were awash in taxation, all kinds of taxation, yet the scriptures are largely silent on the topic. Where they are referenced it says you should pay them.
My point was that everyone should pay their fair share of taxes! In this case the tax collectors are the politicians. Why do we keep raising taxes on the rich? Tax evaders are bad, but so are tax collectors (politicians who raise taxes)
The rich should be able to give DIRECTLY to the poor... lets get rid of the "middle man" (i.e. the money grubbing tax raising politicians)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:12 PM

7,405 posts, read 3,734,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
My point was that everyone should pay their fair share of taxes! In this case the tax collectors are the politicians. Why do we keep raising taxes on the rich? Tax evaders are bad, but so are tax collectors (politicians who raise taxes)
The rich should be able to give DIRECTLY to the poor... lets get rid of the "middle man" (i.e. the money grubbing tax raising politicians)
Of course it is a matter of debate what is a "fair share of taxes."

The Biblical tax collectors were not politicians.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:20 PM

4,984 posts, read 5,746,531 times
The OP, yet another Strawman.
Seriously, if you to make such a ridiculous statement to defend regressive taxing and make it justified???

Try reading the Gospel. If you are not familiar with it, then Christianity is not relevant to you.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:19 PM

3,568 posts, read 3,181,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Seriously, if you to make such a ridiculous statement to defend regressive taxing and make it justified???

Try reading the Gospel. If you are not familiar with it, then Christianity is not relevant to you.
Do you dispute that God decreed the tithe (assuming you're referring to the same Bible I am)?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:10 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,869,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
When you come up with a plan which results in the wealthy voluntarily giving up enough to run the government and take care of all the poor and disadvantaged, get back to us.

Until then, taxation is a necessary evil.
Why is it the duty of the rich to "take care of all the poor and disadvantaged"? Do you really take the position that people who pay income tax do not give to charitable organizations that in turn help those less fortunate?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Do you dispute that God decreed the tithe (assuming you're referring to the same Bible I am)?
I am noting the strawman and lack of logic.

I guess by your evasive response that you are not familiar with the Gospel either.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:15 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,869,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Progressives? Since both parties are right now engaged in playing one economic status against another in regards to who gets to keep a tax cut, don't you think that's just a little bit of an invalid premise?
No, Progressives occupy both parties do they not? There certainly are too many GOP Progressives (a.k.a. RINOs & Soros Republicans) for the Tea Party to have the impact we'd hoped.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:18 PM

20,894 posts, read 13,118,471 times
Which God?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:19 PM

Soros Republicans. Seriously?

"Soros Republicans?"

One more time "Soros Republicans"

Maybe if I keep typing it, it will become a real thing.

Wait, no didn't work.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:41 PM

5,645 posts, read 3,974,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post

Who's promoting regressive taxing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or