Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times

Advertisements

A study by Moody's Analytics recently found that every dollar spent by the government on benefits for the unemployed produces an overall return of $1.61 for the economy. Guest host Lynn Neary talks with Moody economist Sophia Koropeckyj about what makes unemployment checks stimulate the economy, and why other types of government spending don't do nearly as much good.
How Unemployment Benefits Stimulate Economy : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
But since that $1 is not earned by the unemployed person another question would be..how much does every $1 in unemployment benefits COST the taxpayer ?

Really you want the NET here..not cherry pick part of the chain.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,914,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
A study by Moody's Analytics recently found that every dollar spent by the government on benefits for the unemployed produces an overall return of $1.61 for the economy. Guest host Lynn Neary talks with Moody economist Sophia Koropeckyj about what makes unemployment checks stimulate the economy, and why other types of government spending don't do nearly as much good.
That study does not account for borrowing and/or printing that same $1 of UE benefits and the true cost. What is that cost? More quantitative easing and monitizing of our debt. Further devaluing of the dollar. While that may seem fine in regard to the deficit and the interest we have to pay back it hurts the purchasing power of the average American.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 12-14-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 04:49 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,527 times
Having too few jobs and millions out of work only boosts the economies of Maruchan Ramen Noodles and Top Ramen. I am sure these two companies are in the black big time right now.

Most unemployed people would much rather have a job than more unemployment. I know because I am one of them. Unemployment is just a constant struggle.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:13 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
So then...we should be hoping for more job losses and people on UE benefits, right?

The whole notion is hogwash, completely ridiculous. As we have seen the old $1 of benefits = $1.60 return is utter nonsense.

People on UE DON'T engage in the kind of spending needed to stimulate the economy. They are just barely getting by with the essentials.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:17 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The CBO agrees with Obama. Extending the unemployment benefits puts $$$ into the hands of those who need it the most. As a result they are the quickest to spend what they get. That in turn increases demand which in turn increases jobs.
We've seen just how well that theory works, haven't we?

2 years of UE benenits HAVE NOT resulted in an increase in jobs, exactly opposite in fact.

So again, if UE are so stimulative, we should want even MORE people out of a job and on UE, right? With that question, do you see how this "theory" of the Left falls to pieces?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The CBO agrees with Obama. Extending the unemployment benefits puts $$$ into the hands of those who need it the most. As a result they are the quickest to spend what they get. That in turn increases demand which in turn increases jobs.
I may agree with this statement if the unemployed were out buying new TVs and clothes etc. The ones I know try to pay rent, utilities, insurance, taxes and buy food. For most, anything beyond that just isn't in the cards. So yes, I would believe the CBO could suggest that those on UE are the quickest to spend it. I'm just not sure how those necessities are going to stimulate the economy.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
But if UE is a fraction of their old salaries then how is demand increased ?
I would assume they are paying their rent and utilities first and whatever is left over goes to food.

I don't think UE provides much discretionary spending which IS what drives demand.
I just don't see the logic here that people getting less money than what they used to get will boost the economy. If anything, it will stagnate it or drive it lower.

Less money = less demand.
That is exactly what Bernanke is complaining about..the recovery isn't happening as fast as he wants it.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:22 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,583,918 times
Here's something nobody has ever answered:

So people (mostly the ones already on unemployment) that advocate extensions use this whole "it's the best stimulus for the economy" line....

....And then in the very next sentence are whining about how they only make 300 dollars a week and how it's not enough to do anything and you can't even survive on it because it's such a pittance.

So which is it? If it's such a pittance that you can't even survive on, then how can it be such a great stimulus? The argument that the money gets pumped right back into the economy is specious. If it's so little to live on, that money is simply going to landlords, banks, utility companies and, in all probability, Starbucks (because just because you're broke doesn't mean you should have to sacrifice a 5 dollar latte, or so the American entitlement state of mind is).

You can't have it both ways.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Obama is a republican. Siding with the 900 billion dollar spending plan the republicans are pushing is ridiculous. The left need to stand their ground and let everything expire. Spending is the worst thing we can do now.
If spending is so bad now, why did the Dems ram that Stimulus law down our throats. Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that well over half of that thing was just earmarks.

How much money has gone into unemployment checks in the past 2 years. Why didn't those people spend on something other than necessary things when anybody knows that that would have stimulated the economy more than spending on just necessaries?

Did you read my thread starter about Dems being the people who Rasmussen is polling this week? I was pointing out that most of the far left, you and some of your friends, think of Obama as a Republican now. Ain't it the chits to have yourself so easy to see through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies