U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:49 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,131,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Fundamental fairness. Invidious discrimination should be routed out wherever it is found. (That and if you look at the 40 countries that have integrated open homosexuals into the military over the last 36 years you'll see there is NO NEGATIVE IMPACT WHATSOEVER).

Why should it be that a straight solider's spouse can shop at the base commissary, but the gay spouse of a military member can't? Why should that same solider get higher pay (increased housing allowance) whereas a married gay solider gets paid less? Why should a straight solider be able to bring his girlfriend to a unit picnic or other off-duty social event, but a gay one is forbidden from inviting his boyfriend?

I'm all for fairness. Why not have a Don't Ask Don't Tell policy for all sexuality? Leave sexuality out of the military entirely. If you're found our as gay, then you're kicked out. If you're found out as straight, then you're kicked out. If a male marine posts a picture on Facebook of him kissing a chick at a bar - kick him out. If he forgets to take his wedding ring off in the presence of another military member - kick him out. If he introduces his wife to anyone connected with the military - kick him out. God forbid he ever tell anyone in the military he has biological children - you'd have to kick him out.

The fact of the matter is that it's human nature to want to connect with other human beings and share with them - especially by telling them about family and loved ones.

My question is why can't the anti-gay bigots just not give a crap and do their job?
you bring up some good points...
1. why can't gays spouse shop at the commisary/ because gay marriage is not federally recognized. Come on, even you know that.

2. The housing allownace is for any soldier living off base. Even single soldiers living off base get housing allowance. as for the "extra' allowance, see question #1. No discrimination here.

Everyone says that gays are already serving in the military. If thats true then I wouldn't know it. There have been very few complaints, problems, or other gay related issues that I have heard of.
The policy seems to be working.
So, you want to change the policy and risk distractions, conflict, harrassment, etc? That is a selfish attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 06:51 AM

33,948 posts, read 32,379,274 times
But what does General Forums have to say? I think he's in the army.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:29 AM

8,015 posts, read 8,080,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sorry, homophobes, but the Pentagon report showed that, overall, military troops are comfortable with the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. If you're prejudiced against gays, maybe you shouldn't join the military in the first place. Gays have always been in the military and will continue to be there. If you're uncomfortable with gays, then you're the one with the problem, not the gays.
And of course you believe a Pentagon report based on asking questions of military personal who know if they give the politicaly INCORRECT answer they'll be on the sheitlist with someone...Common use some sense .....there will be people hurt because of this and it will be the fault of those lobbying so hard for it....Will YOU take the responsibility for those poor unfortunantes???? I doubt it.....

Old 12-18-2010, 07:31 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,588,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
They said the same damn thing about blacks and women.
This is exactly right. The British, Germans, Israeli and other military's who allow gays to serve openly are doing just fine.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:17 AM

7,658 posts, read 7,459,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
...Everyone says that gays are already serving in the military. If thats true then I wouldn't know it. There have been very few complaints, problems, or other gay related issues that I have heard of...
Exactly, so why do all the supporters of DADT want us to believe that there will be all sorts of harrassment, peeping Toms and shower rapes if gays are allowed to serve openly?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
And of course you believe a Pentagon report based on asking questions of military personal who know if they give the politicaly INCORRECT answer they'll be on the sheitlist with someone...Common use some sense .....there will be people hurt because of this and it will be the fault of those lobbying so hard for it....Will YOU take the responsibility for those poor unfortunantes???? I doubt it.....

Do you feel racial integration of the armed forces was a bigger adjustment for military members than openly serving gays?

Old 12-18-2010, 09:34 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,131,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Exactly, so why do all the supporters of DADT want us to believe that there will be all sorts of harrassment, peeping Toms and shower rapes if gays are allowed to serve openly?

I think you answered your own question. The 'openly" is the problem. Like I said, there is no homosexual issue in the military.
Take a look at the crime rates on military installations
or how about illegal drugs and/or drug users & abusers. It is much lower than the general population.
There are many military members who want to smoke weed. There are many who want to go looking for prostitutes, or hang out in dangerously cool places, etc. But, (for the most part) they don't do it because SERVICE COMES BEFORE SELF. The military has strict rules, and ALL members must comply. This is about conduct and appearance. Allowing gays to be open will cause major headaches in basic training. How can someone possibly be 'open" about their homosexuality in boot camp? That is a no-win situation.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:39 AM
LML

7,109 posts, read 7,918,520 times
My daughter, a Sgt. Major with more than 30 years of service, told me last night that she was very excited that today could end the hypocrisy of DADT. She went on to say that she has always been proud to service in the military because it was one place that you were rewarded for you ability and your service rather than for any artificial reasons. She said that, in recent years, the only exception to this pride has been the treatment of gays and lesbians. She told me that there has not been a day of her more than 30 years of service that she hasn't served with G&L and she told me that her husband...also a Sgt. Major with more than 30 years of service, says the same. She said that the sexual orientaion of those under her command has not impacted negatively in any way whatsoever...except that these brave soldiers are forced to live a less than honest life...the very thing they are taught they must not do. So she is very happy that finally her beloved Army will actually be living up to its credo and standards. Coming from such a highly decorated soldier I will take her word over that of all these computer warriors any day.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I think you answered your own question. The 'openly" is the problem. Like I said, there is no homosexual issue in the military.
Take a look at the crime rates on military installations
or how about illegal drugs and/or drug users & abusers. It is much lower than the general population.
There are many military members who want to smoke weed. There are many who want to go looking for prostitutes, or hang out in dangerously cool places, etc. But, (for the most part) they don't do it because SERVICE COMES BEFORE SELF. The military has strict rules, and ALL members must comply. This is about conduct and appearance. Allowing gays to be open will cause major headaches in basic training. How can someone possibly be 'open" about their homosexuality in boot camp? That is a no-win situation.
Right, but those rules apply equally to everyone. Gays are being forced to conform to a rule that not all service members are. Can you not grasp that concept?

I didn't answer my own question. Gays are in the military - that's a fact. Gay on straight harrassment or unwanted sexual advances or rape ARE NOT a prevalent issue today. Why would the fact that gays aren't forced to hide who they are anymore change that? Please answer THAT question.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Bub

236 posts, read 332,627 times
Boys and Girls currently have seperate bathrooms and showers, and are required to have SAME SEX roommates in the barracks and in the field. In the undeveloped areas in training and in combat zones, a shower consists of a huge tent with plywood floors.

Easy FIX: Have the Homosexual Males soldiers room and shower with the females.

By the way, this should apply to the DRAFT as well (in for a penny...) and while we are at it, how come "college" kids and people of faith got to "dodge" the draft? They are in as well.

NEXT on the LIBERAL HIT LIST: CHAPLINS (this really pisses em off)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies