Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
The flaw with that argument is that gays are ALREADY showering with straights. So, no need for more showers/bunks.
how do you know this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
how do you know this?
According to the military survey, 69% of those surveyed believe that they have, at some point in their military careers, served with someone who is gay.
Stands to reason that they've showered with them as well.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:01 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
You forgot one big factor... The Marines tend to keep things in-house. If you think that a few flaming homosexuals will be able to bring dishonor on the Marine Corps then you are underestimating the Corps.
The dishonor will be on the bullies, but leaving that aside...

The Army, Air Force, Navy and Coast Guard can handle it, but the Marines are getting "distracted"? I thought being focused on the mission was a bit of a trademark of theirs? Guess it's time to reassess that impression.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
What makes it sad?

Some countries allow topless sunbathing/swimming on all their beaches.

Some countries allow even preteens to buy wine, and take it home.

Some countries draft all eligible people for their armed forces.

Sweden's home guard are provided automatic weapons that are kept in their homes.

Should I go on? This is the U.S.A. We are not other countries, what works there, may not work here, what works here, may not work there.

No, you shouldn't go on, unless you're going to provide some relevant analogies. Discriminatory policies vs. whether to allow topless sunbathing aren't exactly compelling arguments.

But, tell us, what makes the USA so different from every other modern, westernized military in the world that the soliders are so much immature? Is it something in the water?

Is the USA more like Britain, Canada and Western Europe, or is it more like Saudi Arabia and Sub Saharan African countries? Cause, guess which countries disallow gays and lesbians, and guess which countries have an open policy? Now, whose the enemy again?

Should American soldiers refuse to serve side by side with European or Canadian troops, because there might be a gay in their ranks?

Is the American military truly a symbol of freedom, or is it a giant frat house with guns?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
how do you know this?
Because I know gay men that have served and are currently serving in the military. How did you think?

Old 12-15-2010, 01:13 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No, you shouldn't go on, unless you're going to provide some relevant analogies. Discriminatory policies vs. whether to allow topless sunbathing aren't exactly compelling arguments.

But, tell us, what makes the USA so different from every other modern, westernized military in the world that the soliders are so much immature? Is it something in the water?

Is the USA more like Britain, Canada and Western Europe, or is it more like Saudi Arabia and Sub Saharan African countries? Cause, guess which countries disallow gays and lesbians, and guess which countries have an open policy? Now, whose the enemy again?

Should American soldiers refuse to serve side by side with European or Canadian troops, because there might be a gay in their ranks?

Is the American military truly a symbol of freedom, or is it a giant frat house with guns?
I guess you are even. Both sides can offer analogies to support their argument and neither will accept those of the other side. Happens all the time, doesn't it?

Old 12-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I guess you are even. Both sides can offer analogies to support their argument and neither will accept those of the other side. Happens all the time, doesn't it?
No, we're not even.

Mine isn't an analogy. Mine is a direct counter-example that militaries on par or better than our own have dropped the juvenille, stone age thinking vis-a-vis gays and lesbians, and they haven't fallen apart, nor have their countries been ravaged by the enemy.

"Some countries allow nude sunbathing" is NOT a convincing counter-argument.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:23 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
No, we're not even.

Mine isn't an analogy. Mine is a direct counter-example that militaries on par or better than our own have dropped the juvenille, stone age thinking vis-a-vis gays and lesbians, and they haven't fallen apart, nor have their countries been ravaged by the enemy.

Couldn't rep you again, MT7, but this is exactly what I was thinking...

Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Default analogy

Quote:
No, we're not even.

No, but Sweden has home guard with automatic weapons in their home, which BTW does go right inline with your america and guns comment.

All I was trying to do was note that comparing ourselves with other countries isn't going to work. We have more people who would be upset seeing topless sunbathers. Jeesh for them that's far worse than gay service people. For me, having traveled the world in a submarine, it's not even a thought. I have sunbathed on nude beaches. Showered in the communal shower in the phillipines, dined in Japan on food without any idea of what it was.

All I was doing was noting that you cannot compare us to them, or them to us. All differing cultures with differing backgrounds and customs. I am sorry that it was lost on you.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
No, but Sweden has home guard with automatic weapons in their home, which BTW does go right inline with your america and guns comment.
What comment are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt
All I was trying to do was note that comparing ourselves with other countries isn't going to work. We have more people who would be upset seeing topless sunbathers. Jeesh for them that's far worse than gay service people. For me, having traveled the world in a submarine, it's not even a thought. I have sunbathed on nude beaches. Showered in the communal shower in the phillipines, dined in Japan on food without any idea of what it was.

All I was doing was noting that you cannot compare us to them, or them to us. All differing cultures with differing backgrounds and customs. I am sorry that it was lost on you.
Errr..... hating on gays isn't part of American "culture," anymore than discriminating against blacks or women is a part of American "culture" or custom. "Well, the French can have a racially integrated armed forces, but, you know, our legacy of racism and racial intolerance makes us different. It's our custom to not encourage mixing of the races in any circumstances."

No. Instead, any "cultural traits" that teaches gays in the military is a piece of universal bigotry that shouldn't be accomodated. It's not like the military is any place for moralizing, considering the job description is to kill.

So, either gay soldiers decline any money from gay tax payers that pay THEIR salaries and benefits, or they integrate and join the rest of the civilized world.

For god's sake hyper-macho and masculine RUSSIA has open service for gay members!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies