Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Marine commandant concluded DADT repeal may risk lives - News - Stripes

ARLINGTON, Va. — The nation’s top Marine Corps officer said he could not endorse a change in the “don’t ask, don’t tell” law that could cause distractions or endanger the lives of Marines in combat.

Ultimately, the voices of forward-fighting combat Marines who worried about unit cohesion in the Pentagon’s survey swayed Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Amos, leading him to recommend that Congress not repeal the law banning openly gay Americans from military service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

ARLINGTON, Va. — The nation’s top Marine Corps officer said he could not endorse a change in the “don’t ask, don’t tell” law that could cause distractions or endanger the lives of Marines in combat.

Ultimately, the voices of forward-fighting combat Marines who worried about unit cohesion in the Pentagon’s survey swayed Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Amos, leading him to recommend that Congress not repeal the law banning openly gay Americans from military service.
Did you see the post today that indicated that the worst gang in the US is the USMC? That one told me that at least one of us feels that those Marines who think like this are dangerous. I say that they just don't want to take a chance of having to fight next to people of that kind of belief. I get a kick out of the people who think that those real combat people are not good people because of this attitude.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:43 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Good thing then it's not his call to make. If he receives his orders, and the National Command Authority signs the change in the law, and issues the order he will have no choice in the matter but to salute and execute the orders he was issued.

Should he chose to ignore or not implement the order he can and should be charged with conduct unbecoming, disobeying a direct order, among other charges. Immediately face an Article 32 hearing and be relieved of his command.

Talk about creating a distraction and risking lives.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post

Now that they have the opinion of the top officer will it make a difference or will they keep asking until they get the answer they want?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Well to quote from a Few Good Men

Col Jessups: We follow orders, son.
Otherwise people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?

Lt Kaffee: One last question, before I call
Airmen O'Malley and Rodriguez.
If you ordered that Santiago wasn't
to be touched, and your orders
are always followed, then why was Santiago in danger?
Why would it be necessary
to transfer him off the base?
Since the Commandant can only give us hypotheticals which are contrary to the experience of 35 different nations at least 5 of whom are currently operating as front line combat forces I find the General's objections highly suspect.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Since the Commandant can only give us hypotheticals which are contrary to the experience of 35 different nations at least 5 of whom are currently operating as front line combat forces I find the General's objections highly suspect.
The General's objection is based on what the Marines said they wanted. That is those who are doing the fighting, not those who are sitting back in relative safety in forts in the US. Yep, the men will only fail to follow orders and get kicked out. I wonder what would happen if we had no Marines in Afghanistan. What do you think would happen if they refuse to follow orders from the top?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:37 PM

127 posts, read 227,209 times
Not only will lives be lost. Unfortunately, those who come out will be harrased and bullied, resulting in lawsuits.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The General's objection is based on what the Marines said they wanted. That is those who are doing the fighting, not those who are sitting back in relative safety in forts in the US. Yep, the men will only fail to follow orders and get kicked out. I wonder what would happen if we had no Marines in Afghanistan. What do you think would happen if they refuse to follow orders from the top?
The marines fighting over there do not want your petty bickering in their faces. That about sums up the feelings of women in the military too. They've got jobs to do. Sit down and shut up. All of you.

Surprised you don't know better.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:44 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times
They said the same damn thing about blacks and women.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

I am sure that the general has a VERY good idea of what is happening in the rank & file Marine Corps. he knows that his job is to do what is best for the Corps no matter the political consequences that it may have. I assume that many others feel the same way but chose the easy way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies