Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 04:23 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan
How do you explain the many gay service members having productive careers, then?
Explain? He can't.

We're all still waiting for military "expert" Guamanians to explain how the rest of the civilized world manages to integrate gay and lesbian soldiers without consequence, but America can't.

I propose a compromise. If gays and lesbians are excluded from the military, they should be excluded from having to pay for the military as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
So, then if a gay service member is spotted out on the town with a date by another service member, there's no problem or consequences? Do you honestly believe that?

"Gay activities" are incompatible with military lifestyle? How do you explain the many gay service members having productive careers, then?
OK, here's a question for you...

Was Michael Jordan a great black basketball player?
Or was he a great basketball player?

Old 12-16-2010, 06:45 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That's a load of bull, Guamanian. It doesn't keep *gays* focused on their jobs, THEY ALREADY KNOW THEY'RE GAY. It keeps the straight homophobes (I work on an Air Force base, I know PLENTY of people that fit that category - I'm sure you do, too) focused on *their*jobs and not worrying about who is in the locker room with them.

The only effect it would have on gays is that wouldn't have to lie/hide.
AND not thrown out on their petard, dishonorably discharged with NO benefits in the case that they are discovered to be gay or lesbian.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:08 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
The military, general public, and even a large percentage of Republicans support ending DADT. It will happen sooner or later.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Well guess we have one ill informed marine with archaic attitudes... oh well like they say you just can't fix stupid.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:15 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Apparently you and Jill both missed my point. In todays military, (trust me, I know) sexual harrassment is strictly enforced. The person that feels harrassed is going to be on the right side of things. If someone offends someone else then they are in the wrong.
I stand by my statement... If gays feel the need to "tell" then they risk offending other soldiers. So, keeping with current policy, the gay person must stop those offending actions.
The reason why DADT works is because it keeps gay people focused on the job. If gays want to open up and tell all then they will face harrassment allegations themselves. But, realistically the military would take care of it in house.
It does not work because it means that gays and lesbian have to keep a secret about their spouse, their lives even. Yet a straight person does not get booted out of the service because he or she spoke about their wife or husband, their wedding or their children, they are not even punished for it. DADT makes gays and lesbians tell a lie and keep a secret just to avoid persecution and prosecution and lose all that they worked for. The current policy is discriminatory against homosexual people only. Why is it so offensive to some straight people to hear that a gay person has someone they love and care about. I do not find it offensive when a straight person says they love their spouse, nor do I find straight marriages offensive. But I am offended by people that say that their god hates me. As if they themselves know what god thinks. I thought the bible said that god created everyone in his image, would that not include gays and lesbians too? Or is it supposed to be just christian straight people?

Old 12-17-2010, 03:12 AM

46,959 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
The 'don't ask, don't tell policy is pretty straight forward. The military does not ask a soldier about his private life.
It's anything but straightforward. "What did you do over the week-end?" is a question that can put a gay servicemember's career in instant jeopardy. No photos in the footlocker or on the desk.

And if you think bigots won't use that sort of information to settle private disputes - or just to wield power over those they don't like - reality has proven you wrong over and over.

Quote:
The law is in place because gay activities are incompatible with military lifestyle.
Huh? Going to a restaurant, cooking a meal, watching a movie, having an argument with a same-sex partner is now incompatible with "military lifestyle"? Why so, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
OK, here's a question for you...

Was Michael Jordan a great black basketball player?
Or was he a great basketball player?

#1 that's a horrible analogy.

#2 Michael Jordan was a great basketball player.

A question for you - did Michael Jordan have to HIDE the fact that he is black?

Old 12-17-2010, 05:25 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It's anything but straightforward. "What did you do over the week-end?" is a question that can put a gay servicemember's career in instant jeopardy. No photos in the footlocker or on the desk.

And if you think bigots won't use that sort of information to settle private disputes - or just to wield power over those they don't like - reality has proven you wrong over and over.

Huh? Going to a restaurant, cooking a meal, watching a movie, having an argument with a same-sex partner is now incompatible with "military lifestyle"? Why so, if you don't mind me asking?
Well if the answer is 'Giveing BJ's behind the gear locker" that's incompatable.......Right or wrong what you risk is some poor innocent getting fragged or float checked...More martyrs to the cause but I guess some will think it's worth it

Old 12-17-2010, 05:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I had a gay friend when I was in 'Nam. He was as fierce as can be. His luck ran out in an ambush. I got the guy that killed him and then dragged his body back to the boat.

Gay or straight we all bleed red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies