U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:27 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 33,526,254 times
Reputation: 12675

Advertisements

Marine commandant concluded DADT repeal may risk lives - News - Stripes


ARLINGTON, Va. ó The nationís top Marine Corps officer said he could not endorse a change in the ďdonít ask, donít tellĒ law that could cause distractions or endanger the lives of Marines in combat.

Ultimately, the voices of forward-fighting combat Marines who worried about unit cohesion in the Pentagonís survey swayed Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Amos, leading him to recommend that Congress not repeal the law banning openly gay Americans from military service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,929 posts, read 24,697,423 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Marine commandant concluded DADT repeal may risk lives - News - Stripes


ARLINGTON, Va. ó The nationís top Marine Corps officer said he could not endorse a change in the ďdonít ask, donít tellĒ law that could cause distractions or endanger the lives of Marines in combat.

Ultimately, the voices of forward-fighting combat Marines who worried about unit cohesion in the Pentagonís survey swayed Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Amos, leading him to recommend that Congress not repeal the law banning openly gay Americans from military service.
Did you see the post today that indicated that the worst gang in the US is the USMC? That one told me that at least one of us feels that those Marines who think like this are dangerous. I say that they just don't want to take a chance of having to fight next to people of that kind of belief. I get a kick out of the people who think that those real combat people are not good people because of this attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Texas
5,296 posts, read 6,116,025 times
Reputation: 2565
Good thing then it's not his call to make. If he receives his orders, and the National Command Authority signs the change in the law, and issues the order he will have no choice in the matter but to salute and execute the orders he was issued.

Should he chose to ignore or not implement the order he can and should be charged with conduct unbecoming, disobeying a direct order, among other charges. Immediately face an Article 32 hearing and be relieved of his command.

Talk about creating a distraction and risking lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 2,216,894 times
Reputation: 1542
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Marine commandant concluded DADT repeal may risk lives - News - Stripes


ARLINGTON, Va. ó The nationís top Marine Corps officer said he could not endorse a change in the ďdonít ask, donít tellĒ law that could cause distractions or endanger the lives of Marines in combat.

Ultimately, the voices of forward-fighting combat Marines who worried about unit cohesion in the Pentagonís survey swayed Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Amos, leading him to recommend that Congress not repeal the law banning openly gay Americans from military service.

Now that they have the opinion of the top officer will it make a difference or will they keep asking until they get the answer they want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 PM
 
31,384 posts, read 29,056,618 times
Reputation: 14816
Well to quote from a Few Good Men

Col Jessups: We follow orders, son.
Otherwise people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?


Lt Kaffee: One last question, before I call
Airmen O'Malley and Rodriguez.
If you ordered that Santiago wasn't
to be touched, and your orders
are always followed, then why was Santiago in danger?
Why would it be necessary
to transfer him off the base?
Since the Commandant can only give us hypotheticals which are contrary to the experience of 35 different nations at least 5 of whom are currently operating as front line combat forces I find the General's objections highly suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Southcentral Kansas
44,929 posts, read 24,697,423 times
Reputation: 4269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well to quote from a Few Good Men

Col Jessups: We follow orders, son.
Otherwise people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?


Lt Kaffee: One last question, before I call
Airmen O'Malley and Rodriguez.
If you ordered that Santiago wasn't
to be touched, and your orders
are always followed, then why was Santiago in danger?
Why would it be necessary
to transfer him off the base?
Since the Commandant can only give us hypotheticals which are contrary to the experience of 35 different nations at least 5 of whom are currently operating as front line combat forces I find the General's objections highly suspect.
The General's objection is based on what the Marines said they wanted. That is those who are doing the fighting, not those who are sitting back in relative safety in forts in the US. Yep, the men will only fail to follow orders and get kicked out. I wonder what would happen if we had no Marines in Afghanistan. What do you think would happen if they refuse to follow orders from the top?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
121 posts, read 175,537 times
Reputation: 100
Not only will lives be lost. Unfortunately, those who come out will be harrased and bullied, resulting in lawsuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 10:39 PM
 
11,961 posts, read 11,662,001 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The General's objection is based on what the Marines said they wanted. That is those who are doing the fighting, not those who are sitting back in relative safety in forts in the US. Yep, the men will only fail to follow orders and get kicked out. I wonder what would happen if we had no Marines in Afghanistan. What do you think would happen if they refuse to follow orders from the top?
The marines fighting over there do not want your petty bickering in their faces. That about sums up the feelings of women in the military too. They've got jobs to do. Sit down and shut up. All of you.

Surprised you don't know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Reputation: 4524
They said the same damn thing about blacks and women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2010, 11:13 PM
 
3,378 posts, read 2,915,666 times
Reputation: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well to quote from a Few Good Men
Col Jessups: We follow orders, son.
Otherwise people die. It's that simple. Are we clear?


Lt Kaffee: One last question, before I call
Airmen O'Malley and Rodriguez.
If you ordered that Santiago wasn't
to be touched, and your orders
are always followed, then why was Santiago in danger?
Why would it be necessary
to transfer him off the base?
Since the Commandant can only give us hypotheticals which are contrary to the experience of 35 different nations at least 5 of whom are currently operating as front line combat forces I find the General's objections highly suspect.
I am sure that the general has a VERY good idea of what is happening in the rank & file Marine Corps. he knows that his job is to do what is best for the Corps no matter the political consequences that it may have. I assume that many others feel the same way but chose the easy way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top