Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 PM

565 posts, read 484,295 times

Advertisements

Just a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 09:52 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,613,014 times
It's a power trip for women. Guys in general don't want big houses unless they're rich and only then for status as long as there is someone to clean it up. Guys just want a sofa with a big TV in front and access to the refridgerator. It's their mates who want the formal dining room, sun room, tiled patio with pool and a flower garden out on the south side. Laundry room, walk in closets with built in shoe rack for 50 pr. and a patio off the master bedroom with seperate sinks in the master bathroom. If guys were left to their own devices, they would be happy in a cave with a sofa, TV and a fridge. Pee out the back door and a shower stall will do nicely for most. It's the women who want the McMansions.

Last edited by mohawkx; 12-15-2010 at 10:17 PM..

Old 12-15-2010, 10:01 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,686,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It's a power trip for women. Guys in general don't want big houses unless their rich and only then for status as long as there is someone to clean it up. Guys just want a sofa with a big TV in front and access to the refridgerator. It's their mates who want the formal dining room, sun room, tiled patio with pool and a flower garden out on the south side. Laundry room, walk in closets with built in shoe rack for 50 pr. and a patio off the master bedroom with seperate sinks in the master bathroom. If guys were left to their own devices, they would be happy in a cave with a sofa, TV and a fridge. Pee out the back door and a shower stall will do nicely for most. It's the women who want the McMansions.

tiger woods is building a 54 million dollar mansion, i guess he is building it to get the girls.. hmmmm 17 holes isn't enough tiger has a very big ego

Old 12-15-2010, 10:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,868,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
It's a power trip for women. Guys in general don't want big houses unless their rich and only then for status as long as there is someone to clean it up. Guys just want a sofa with a big TV in front and access to the refridgerator. It's their mates who want the formal dining room, sun room, tiled patio with pool and a flower garden out on the south side. Laundry room, walk in closets with built in shoe rack for 50 pr. and a patio off the master bedroom with seperate sinks in the master bathroom. If guys were left to their own devices, they would be happy in a cave with a sofa, TV and a fridge. Pee out the back door and a shower stall will do nicely for most. It's the women who want the McMansions.
We have a 6,000 sf home, and I'm closing in the screened in patio to make a 4 season room and turning the basement into a theater to add another 1500 sf total. The size drives my gf bonkers.. The 1,000 sf master bedroom/bath for example left us wondering what on gods earth we were going to do with all of the extra space. I mean a bed, dressers take up x amount of space and with the walk in closet, there isnt much need for extras.

She hates our home, the cleaning that needs done, the neighborhood because she feels out of place, (she's black, white neighborhood), and the amout we're putting into it to "finish" what I want because she knows there isnt a chance in hell we need a 7,500sf home and selling it is going to be a big pain the a$$ since it sits in a neighborhood of 1500 sf houses..

Old 12-15-2010, 10:08 PM

580 posts, read 2,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Just a question.
Have you ever heard the saying "being the Joneses?"

Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,650,303 times
so henrjam you have some problem with someone wanting a large house? personally i would be happy with a fairly small house with a large garage attached. preferably one that can handle 10 cars with enough room to work on all of them.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:14 PM

7,786 posts, read 7,993,591 times
Dreaming is good, and saves a lot of money and property taxes.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,868,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Just a question.
Whats not to love? Works great for me because I work from home. It was either buy an office building to work out of and continue to pay rent for storage, or buy a house with 7 car garage, 1,000 sf office space (former mother in law suite) and save myself money. Its zoned residential so I save on taxes, the utilities I can write off 20%, including the repairs, being able to get work done all hours of the day and not have to worry about being snowed in has a huge plus for me.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,381,327 times
The "big house syndrome" is kind of going away. A realtor told me that a 4 bedroom two story is a harder sell these days than a smaller 3 bedroom ranch. The national volume homebuilders have downsized the upper-end homes; average size of new homes has been going down in recent years for the first time in history.

For my part, I'd rather have two smaller ones in different locales instead of one big one. We bought a small place for a second home and love it. The next step is to trade down from 2200 sq ft to 1400 or 1200 for the main place. It will happen, and money is not the object. It is about right-sizing after the kids are gone.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,244,359 times
I can't stop thinking about John Edwards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies