U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM

35,249 posts, read 19,287,378 times

Advertisements

Will the cruel torment of America's Christian majority ever end?

"Every time I hear some fundie spouting off about the mythical war on Christmas I can't help but think of the opening of Monty Python's Holy Grail -- "Help, help, I'm being repressed. Come and see the violence inherent in the system!" I suppose it shouldn't come as a shock that people whose religion is based upon an act of martyrdom should have such a ridiculously oversized persecution complex."

Jon Stewart on the War on Christmas : Dispatches from the Culture Wars

Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 AM

44,924 posts, read 28,219,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Will the cruel torment of America's Christian majority ever end?

"Every time I hear some fundie spouting off about the mythical war on Christmas I can't help but think of the opening of Monty Python's Holy Grail -- "Help, help, I'm being repressed. Come and see the violence inherent in the system!" I suppose it shouldn't come as a shock that people whose religion is based upon an act of martyrdom should have such a ridiculously oversized persecution complex."

Jon Stewart on the War on Christmas : Dispatches from the Culture Wars
So you, Jon Stewart and whatever that publication you linked are the only ones who can declare peace or war with what happens yearly about Christmas parades. That was what the beginning of your link said. It read like that man who refused to ride in the parade this year because it was no longer a Christmas parade was totally wrong for refusing. Changing the name of the parade made him not want to take part and that was all I ever saw from Fox News about what he had done. Oh well, I am biased the opposite direction you are so I couldn't see what you and Stewart saw.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:39 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,373,616 times
Jon Stewart is another man that sees clearly. I have to wonder about people that chose self proclained persecution over being ignored.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,331,065 times
Forget the "war on Xmas"

What about the "war on Saturnalia"

Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 AM

12,358 posts, read 7,747,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
So you, Jon Stewart and whatever that publication you linked are the only ones who can declare peace or war with what happens yearly about Christmas parades. That was what the beginning of your link said. It read like that man who refused to ride in the parade this year because it was no longer a Christmas parade was totally wrong for refusing. Changing the name of the parade made him not want to take part and that was all I ever saw from Fox News about what he had done. Oh well, I am biased the opposite direction you are so I couldn't see what you and Stewart saw.
Christmas parades have never, ever been about the Birth of Christ. They've always been about the secular act of getting people in the mood to go forth and buy, buy and buy more presents. It's the only reason the parades were conceived in the first place and brought to us all these years. Commercialization of the holiday.To get ones nose out of joint because they've been renamed is just so much fake outrage. If anything, Christians should be glad to have the parades renamed so they're not associated with that much secular abundance going down the streets.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,338,908 times
Honestly, I don't think Christmas has ever been about the birth of Christ. Ask any kid what Christmas is, even the ones who are from religious backgrounds... Their first answer will always be "presents for me from Santa."

Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 AM

35,249 posts, read 19,287,378 times
Smile happy holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
So you, Jon Stewart and whatever that publication you linked are the only ones who can declare peace or war with what happens yearly about Christmas parades. That was what the beginning of your link said.
It said nothing like that. Maybe you're linking to an alternate universe where Christmas isn't under attack from howling atheist hordes.

Quote:
It read like that man who refused to ride in the parade this year because it was no longer a Christmas parade was totally wrong for refusing.
'That man' is Senator Inhofe from Oklahoma. And yes, he's wrong about almost everything he says or does.

Quote:
Changing the name of the parade made him not want to take part and that was all I ever saw from Fox News about what he had done. Oh well, I am biased the opposite direction you are so I couldn't see what you and Stewart saw.
You mean you missed the part about the violence inherent in the system?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:39 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,498,448 times
Last year it was Nativity scenes. Now that they have all been removed, it's Christmas trees.
Next year it will be lights. Before you know it Christmas will just be another day off with lots of shopping.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 AM

19,378 posts, read 17,488,305 times
Philadelphia put up their annual " Christmas Village" and then took down the "Christmas" so as not to offend anyone. It was replaced with "Holiday". This was because somebody somewhere complained and they didn't want to offend anyone. The next day the mayor sheepishly apologized and ordered the "Christmas" part of the sign restored. You have a few malcontents and an over zaelous ACLU looking to cause trouble but there's hardly a war on Christmas. People that support Christmas just overwhelm those who oppose it and the other side withdraws.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:10 AM

5,990 posts, read 11,566,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Christmas parades have never, ever been about the Birth of Christ. They've always been about the secular act of getting people in the mood to go forth and buy, buy and buy more presents. It's the only reason the parades were conceived in the first place and brought to us all these years. Commercialization of the holiday.To get ones nose out of joint because they've been renamed is just so much fake outrage. If anything, Christians should be glad to have the parades renamed so they're not associated with that much secular abundance going down the streets.
I'm a Christian, and I agree 100%. There are far more important battles for Christians to fight than this pointless "war on Christmas." From another West Michigander (I'm from Kalamazoo), thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies