Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:05 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
A German manufacturer was being interviewed on a cable business program. He was very wealthy so the interviewer kept on about all the taxes he was paying in Germany. The guy just didn't seem interested in talking about it, but the interviewer would not let it go. Finally, the German said, "I just don't care about the taxes I pay". The interviewer was speechless for a few seconds and then blurted out, "But why don't you care"? The German thought for a couple of seconds and replied. "Because I don't want to be a rich man living in a poor country".
The problem here is the way the tax money is being spent. We are following in the footsteps of USSR who spent everything they got on military. If we scaled back our military spending to year 2000 level, we would save alomost 4 trillion dollars in 10 years. And even they out military would be by far the best in thw world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 04:12 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Going to have? Look around.
current tence not future tence. everyone is a lot poorer than they think that they are we just haven't gotten use to and adjusted for the fact that we have no way to pay for the debt we are acrewing.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

But I do take offense to the title of the thread, where it assumes a capitalist in America would act any differently. Anybody acting otherwise is simply not a capitalist but an impostor.
You can be a capitalist and feel a responcibilaty to provide fpr yuor work force as well.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:35 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
You can be a capitalist and feel a responcibilaty to provide fpr yuor work force as well.
A capitalist understands mutual dependence and respects it. Sometimes, the benefit is unintentional (as implied with "Invisible Hand" by Adam Smith in The Wealth of Nations). And both tie well to the Adam Smith quote I had earlier.

I see no logic that supports the idea that a society with a greater income and wealth divide is the one capitalism would strive for, and be successful in. Even in faux-capitalistic countries like China, the economic growth is tied to the economic health of its biggest consumers. Within a country, the prosperity will be tied to prosperity of a vast majority of the populace. For that reason, a middle class society is key to a prosperous society. The latter, however, responsible for its creation and to sustain it.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:43 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The problem here is the way the tax money is being spent. We are following in the footsteps of USSR who spent everything they got on military. If we scaled back our military spending to year 2000 level, we would save alomost 4 trillion dollars in 10 years. And even they out military would be by far the best in thw world.
Curious...do you know what percentage of our budget actually goes to defense spending? Certainly not "everything" as you stated. I can tell you that we spend more on Medicare/Medicaid and in the future, with Obamacare, will spend more. We're right around 20% for defense.

File:Fy2010 spending by category.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-21-2011, 04:45 PM

320 posts, read 290,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
A German manufacturer was being interviewed on a cable business program. He was very wealthy so the interviewer kept on about all the taxes he was paying in Germany. The guy just didn't seem interested in talking about it, but the interviewer would not let it go. Finally, the German said, "I just don't care about the taxes I pay". The interviewer was speechless for a few seconds and then blurted out, "But why don't you care"? The German thought for a couple of seconds and replied. "Because I don't want to be a rich man living in a poor country".
Sounds about right.

They have governments in Europe. We have have a corporate oligarchy.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A capitalist understands mutual dependence and respects it. Sometimes, the benefit is unintentional (as implied with "Invisible Hand" by Adam Smith in The Wealth of Nations). And both tie well to the Adam Smith quote I had earlier.

I see no logic that supports the idea that a society with a greater income and wealth divide is the one capitalism would strive for, and be successful in. Even in faux-capitalistic countries like China, the economic growth is tied to the economic health of its biggest consumers. Within a country, the prosperity will be tied to prosperity of a vast majority of the populace. For that reason, a middle class society is key to a prosperous society. The latter, however, responsible for its creation and to sustain it.
If you try to maximize profits by reducing wages you end up with a poorer country. This is the endgame of outsourcing.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
How is it immaterial? If it had not been for the USA Germany would look like Greece right now. The only reason their society can even take care of their own is because we helped them. This is the same society that elected Hitler and plundged their country into oblivion. Germany is the last place we need an economic lesson from.
Germany (the Western Sector) was not the only country to benefit from the Marshall Plan.
The Marshall Plan was not all generosity, but strategy to prevent Europe from becoming communist. Plus, America needed a country to station thousands of American GIs and military equipment to keep the Russian Bear at bay.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:54 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Quote:
If you try to maximize profits by reducing wages you end up with a poorer country.
It is sort of like the prisoners dilemma. One guy reducing wages gets a competitive advantage. Everybody reducing wages gets no advantage, and suddenly the consumers have less money -and the economy contracts!

Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
If you try to maximize profits by reducing wages you end up with a poorer country. This is the endgame of outsourcing.
That is where problems begin and cronyism takes over. But then, capitalism can be expected to work with smaller businesses rather than large ones on a global scale. It also brings into debate the point Adam Smith made about managers of companies versus owners of a business. Owners are passionate about growth of their "baby" whereas money managers can't be expected to be as loyal to anybody but their personal welfare, even at the cost of the business itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies