Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

One example is meanlingless.Do the same people porpose to increase their world aid to match the Us or even contirbute more to offset the 70% tof mnedical research done by US for the benefit they get. What about paying the cost of the aMarshall plan or for their defense during the cold war?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,462,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
One example is meanlingless.Do the same people porpose to increase their world aid to match the Us or even contirbute more to offset the 70% tof mnedical research done by US for the benefit they get. What about paying the cost of the aMarshall plan or for their defense during the cold war?
What exactly do you know about the aid Germany is providing? Also, german soldiers are in Afghanistan fighting your stupid war.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Foreign aid by country: Commitment to foreign aid statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Old 01-22-2011, 10:28 AM

34 posts, read 77,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
How is it immaterial? If it had not been for the USA Germany would look like Greece right now. The only reason their society can even take care of their own is because we helped them. This is the same society that elected Hitler and plundged their country into oblivion. Germany is the last place we need an economic lesson from.
After the end of WWII, large portions of Germany's remaining industrial sector that was not destroyed was stripped down and carted off to their war-time enemies as compensation for the destruction they had wrought. A renewed British and French revanchism did more to impede Germany's recovery.

Besides, the Marshall Plan and post-war reconstruction in Europe also served as a benefit to the U.S.

Quote:
Germany is the last place we need an economic lesson from
Really? While other country's economies have contracted Germany's has actually seen growth.

The talk about Norway defending itself is quite funny as well. This past week I have read they are making cuts in military spending (cutting personell in their home guard), while they have recently invested in new equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
They do not need to concerned because they know we will defend them
It is my understanding that their post-WWII defense policies/plans was built around the idea of fending off an invasion, were one to ever occur again. But as another poster answered in the form of a question, "why would anyone want to invade their country?"

Old 01-22-2011, 03:16 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
A German manufacturer was being interviewed on a cable business program. He was very wealthy so the interviewer kept on about all the taxes he was paying in Germany. The guy just didn't seem interested in talking about it, but the interviewer would not let it go. Finally, the German said, "I just don't care about the taxes I pay". The interviewer was speechless for a few seconds and then blurted out, "But why don't you care"? The German thought for a couple of seconds and replied. "Because I don't want to be a rich man living in a poor country".
Very smart man...

If this guy gets it, why can't the average American free-market fascist get it??!!

Old 01-22-2011, 03:17 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,357,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
What exactly do you know about the aid Germany is providing? Also, german soldiers are in Afghanistan fighting your stupid war.
Slam dunk! The corporate right just got served!

Old 09-27-2014, 06:42 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
They do not need to concerned because they know we will defend them
"We"?
I have never fought in any war and I don't intend to, so I certainly can't take credit for "defending" anyone, either in the past or future.

I take it you're a soldier, wjtwet, or a war veteran?

Old 09-27-2014, 06:47 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,222 times
Amazing as american capitalist have been generally subscribing to the notion "as long as I am ok **** everybody else". I think the reason is that Europeans un general again are better educated than Americans.

Quote:
A German manufacturer was being interviewed on a cable business program. He was very wealthy so the interviewer kept on about all the taxes he was paying in Germany. The guy just didn't seem interested in talking about it, but the interviewer would not let it go. Finally, the German said, "I just don't care about the taxes I pay". The interviewer was speechless for a few seconds and then blurted out, "But why don't you care"? The German thought for a couple of seconds and replied. "Because I don't want to be a rich man living in a poor country".

Old 09-27-2014, 06:52 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
So he's more concerned about image than anything else.

The idea that paying taxes brings prosperity for all is stupid beyond belief.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:05 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
So he's more concerned about image than anything else.

The idea that paying taxes brings prosperity for all is stupid beyond belief.

Maybe it is not stupid but you simply are not able to comprehend it?

If you look at all successful and prosperous countries on this planet you will find that they have high taxes. Now if you look at all of the third world countries on this planet you will find that they have very low taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies