Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:27 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Censorship only applies when its the government doing the censorship.

Private business can make whatever rules they want....don't like the rules, start your own website.

It's really that simple.

Actually, if you've ever posted comments on any "news" sites, like ABC, NBC, CBS, those comments are looked over before being posted.

I'd say CD is one of the least censored boards out there, at least in the politics forum. You can pretty much say whatever you like, as long as you're not attacking other posters, using foul language and violating the TOS.

Some people STILL don't get that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 07:12 PM

250 posts, read 379,505 times
Why do people think censorship only applies to the government?

Censor definition.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:24 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonioLarabi View Post
I was using different websites and have noticed that one in particular uses the power of censorship to remove facts about what you write. Has anybody else found the same on any websites? There was a study done by Google, regarding website censorship and it is very interesting.

If you have found that your information, or comments are being censored for no reason, except personal, subjective opinions, please post it here. If so, there are many sources on the Internet to report such censorship. I cannot post the URL here, but they are easy to find using any search engine.
Censorship? Oh, no, never, anywhere....

Old 01-01-2011, 07:02 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
Just because you have the right to do it doesn't mean it's not censorship. It is possible to have non-governmental censorship.
It might be censorship in the personal sense, just not in the legal or technical sense. For example I am "censored" at work by not being allowed to use foul language, but I agreed to those terms before being hired - just as you agree to the TOS before joining a website. So they ARE within their rights to fire me if I curse at work, just as any private website is allowed to moderate/delete/edit as they see fit.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes indeed. Some people don't have a clue how our freedoms work.
The ones that get me are those who don't seem to understand that free speech runs in both directions. They say something others find objectionable and scream "censorship!" when called on it. Yes, your free speech allows you to say those things. But that same free speech allows me and others to say you are wrong.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Yep, all the network web sites. Well ABC, CBS and NBC report biased news all the time if that is what you are talking about.
In 12 years on the internet, I have never had any comment of mine deleted from any network site, even when I vociferously disagree on any topic.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillynillyTalc View Post
Why do people think censorship only applies to the government?

Censor definition.
I think you missed the point of a lot of these posts. That point being that, yes, news sources & private groups are allowed to censor anything they find objectionable. However, because of the 1st amendment to the Constitution, the government cannot censor anything.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Every moderated site reserves the right to censor your speech, if they don't agree with it.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:12 PM

43 posts, read 69,567 times
Default Freedom of Speech Versus LIES and Censorship!

I certainly have the right to run into a theater and scream "FIRE" if there is a fire. I also have the right to say "I have a bomb and will blow this building, if I actually have a bomb and plan on blowing up the building! Websites are made to give the public their freedom of speech, I am not advocating people lying, or slandering anything, or anybody.

We live in the age of technology, where you are able to find almost everything that is factual, produced by scientists, Government, or even private entities.

What about "President Obama's 200 million-dolor a day", which was repeated over and over again. That was a complete lie, that even an elected Congresswoman said on a major news channel.

As far as that whacked poster, saying that "I am on the payroll", is completely out of their minds! If a website CLAIMS to give you the TRUTH, yet censors the information, then that IS censorship. Censorship does not only apply to the Government. Look it up in a dictionary.

I completely believe in freedom of speech and if any website claims to PROVIDE truthful, factual information, then excludes it, that is censorship. You can rationalize it any way you'd like. If a website gives you a disclaimer, telling you that they will censor things that are not "aligned" with their beliefs, then that is fine.

My original question is, if a website claims to NOT censor things that people write, for whatever reasons, then they must disclose that to the users, prior to the person posting anything.

I find it very interesting that a former "Moderator" of this website came on the defensive. Why would that be? Makes you wonder.....

By the way, which company does that one poster think I work for? Maybe I'll approach them, so I can make bank! That is truly the most ridiculous thing I have ever read! You actually think a company would pay anyone to post this simple, innocuous question on this website? Maybe too many ding dongs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I love freedom of speech too, but some people forget those freedoms have limits... you can't run into a movie theater and yell "FIRE!!", you can't enter a government building and say you're going to bomb the place, and so forth. Some people think "freedom of speech" means you can say whatever you want wherever you want, and that is just not the case. Can you imagine the chaos if we allowed that kind of behavior in public?

As a former public librarian, I faced this situation more than once - where somebody would be misbehaving in the library, and then claim "it's a public place, so I can say & do whatever I want." No you can't! Did you not see those Guidelines for Library Use posted on the door? No? Then go read them now, and tell me how your behavior doesn't violate our policies... thanks.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:53 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonioLarabi View Post
I certainly have the right to run into a theater and scream "FIRE" if there is a fire. I also have the right to say "I have a bomb and will blow this building, if I actually have a bomb and plan on blowing up the building!
Well, duh... obviously I meant if these claims were false, and if you were actually planning to blow up the building, I do believe they could detain you for saying so.

Quote:
I find it very interesting that a former "Moderator" of this website came on the defensive. Why would that be? Makes you wonder.....
Really? What does it make you wonder about?? You do realize the mods are just normal members, who've been voted by other members to moderate - and they're not paid for the "job." I have no vested interest in this site, aside from it being a place where I enjoy interacting with others. What are you implying, exactly?

I just get sick of the censorship claims, when I know what goes on behind the scenes - and how we only deleted posts according to the TOS, not for personal reasons. The moderators here represent a WIDE variety of beliefs, nationalities, personalities, and so forth... therefore it's just silly to assume C-D has some overall bias, or that they "censor" people in any way. Again, you agreed to the TOS when you joined, so it's not our fault if you (generally speaking) can't follow them.

You also have to realize, there aren't nearly enough moderators to read EVERY post on here, particularly in the high-volume areas like P&OC & Religion. So they are fairly dependent on the "report post" function, and that's how I knew what needed attention when I moderated... so if you're wondering why one post was edited/deleted while another wasn't, it's probably because nobody bothered to report the other one. Simple answer - report anything you believe is violating the TOS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies