Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:07 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

In the mid 1970's. I recall it was the time between Kindergarten and 1st grade one year we were allowed to create Christmas themed decorations at school with Santa Claus, and crosses and had a manger scene in the entrance, and the next year it was gone. Replaced by Happy Holidays and some generic "holiday" things like snowmen and candy canes. It made an impact on me because that was the year a Jehovah's Witness told everyone in my 1st grade class there was no such thing as Santa Claus. As kids we were all mortified. But that was the year the decorations went away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 11:40 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No, actually by not saying the n-word you are practicing political correctness. It's just a form that many people today don't even second guess. It's just something you don't say because it's politically incorrect to say.
The thing about political correctness is it's not illegal. There is no law that makes it a crime to walk up to a black man and call him the n word. It is a choice each individual makes to say or not to say. Those that whine about political correctness are actually legally free to walk up to any person they want and call them anything they want. Instead of complaining about political correctness, take action. Stand up for your rights and go to the nearest ghetto and walk up to a group of brothers and tell them how you really feel or walk into the nearest gay leather bar and let them know what you think about their lifestyle. Remember there is no law against speaking your mind freely and you'll feel much better about yourself once you get out of the hospital.

Political correctness is an attitude one has, not a law one has to follow.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:49 AM

I think political correctness started back in the 60s with the civil rights movement. Prior to that time frame white people used the "n" word all the time and there was nothing a black man could do without being hung from the nearest oak tree. After the civil rights movement, blacks were given equality and although it was still perfectly legal to call a black person the "n" word, it was now acceptable for the black person to beat the crap out of the person using it. This dramaticly cut down on the usage and thankfully the term is only currently found in unedited Mark Twain Novels.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 PM

As far as Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays, Christians should be flattered that the birth of Christ is celebrated by the majority of the Western society. It's just a fact that many who celebrate the occasion don't think that the birth of Christ was such a big deal. Jews go have Chinese food. Buddhists say a prayer that Christians will actually follow the teachings of Jesus rather than worship the image. Chinese take time out to remember and revere their ancestors. The time of year has been a celebration for all cultures and faiths over the centuries. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, what difference does it make? They're both said with a smile and good cheer.

Merry Christmas to all my Christian brethren and Happy Holidays to all the rest.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:22 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
As far as Merry Christmas vs Happy Holidays, Christians should be flattered that the birth of Christ is celebrated by the majority of the Western society. It's just a fact that many who celebrate the occasion don't think that the birth of Christ was such a big deal. Jews go have Chinese food. Buddhists say a prayer that Christians will actually follow the teachings of Jesus rather than worship the image. Chinese take time out to remember and revere their ancestors. The time of year has been a celebration for all cultures and faiths over the centuries. Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, what difference does it make? They're both said with a smile and good cheer.

Merry Christmas to all my Christian brethren and Happy Holidays to all the rest.

Well said. I celebrate Christmas as a Christian, but also realize that it has been mixed with Pagan rituals. I'm OK with that, and considering I live in Ohio, am freezing, and have 2 feet of snow on my patio, I have no issue celebrating the Winter Solstice, and the rebirth of the sun as well!

Can't wait until Spring!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
The definition of political correctness varies depending on who you ask so the timing of when it began will vary as well.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:29 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
The word should never be used, but it is used in "positive connotations" all the time by Black people (and other ethnic groups too). Also, a Black person could test this theory in Detroit proper and nothing would happen to them. THAT is hypocritical. The word should be non-PC by everyone if it's not PC for one group to use it.
That is a different subject. Suffice it to say that while I understand the context black people are using, it still keeps the word alive, in use, and legitimate. It also a lame attempt to legitimize a whopper of a double standard.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
As it's known today: '80s.

There have been other forms of political correctness in the past, however. Questioning Jim Crow and the Confederate cause was very "un-PC" in the South in the late 19th and about two thirds of the 20th century.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
In the mid 1970's. I recall it was the time between Kindergarten and 1st grade one year we were allowed to create Christmas themed decorations at school with Santa Claus, and crosses and had a manger scene in the entrance, and the next year it was gone. Replaced by Happy Holidays and some generic "holiday" things like snowmen and candy canes. It made an impact on me because that was the year a Jehovah's Witness told everyone in my 1st grade class there was no such thing as Santa Claus. As kids we were all mortified. But that was the year the decorations went away.
I find the scene you described above appalling. I grew up in an area with a large Jewish community, and we were always a little more sensitive to things that that! I went to school in the 50s/60s.

Was the person who told you there is no Santa a child? Lots of kids do that. If an adult, s/he was inappropriate.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
No, actually by not saying the n-word you are practicing political correctness. It's just a form that many people today don't even second guess. It's just something you don't say because it's politically incorrect to say.
I disagree. Saying the n word is just insulting. Saying "African-American" instead of "black" is being PC. I don't generally like PC terminology, I think everyone is too sensitive these days. But we need to draw the line at being rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies