Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 06:34 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Oh, I know, but you proved my point; not one of those definitions lists the word as a synonym for Christmas. You and Kat are trying to rewrite modern American history in your quest for political correctness.
The question then becomes - is Christmas a holiday? Yes it is, just like Channuka is a holiday for the Jews and Solstice (or Saturnalia) is a holiday for the Pagans and so on and so on. The point being that Christmas is not the 'only' holiday in this month.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:38 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Merry Christmas txgolfer130.

Merry Christmas...Happy Holidays...Merry Dies Natalis Invicti Solis...and many others.

May the Lord, or whichever deity you worship embrace you in his love and see fit to move all fears and hasten all worries away from you and your family. May He protect you and yours and from all those who wish to do you harm. May your family enjoy each other and prosper through this season. May peace be upon your home.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:46 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post

Merry Christmas...Happy Holidays...Merry Dies Natalis Invicti Solis...and many others.

May the Lord, or whichever deity you worship embrace you in his love and see fit to move all fears and hasten all worries away from you and your family. May He protect you and yours and from all those who wish to do you harm. May your family enjoy each other and prosper through this season. May peace be upon your home.

Awesome! Thank you.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:46 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I'm not of the Christian faith but I put up a tree in the front window with lots of lights and ornaments. I also surround the window with lots of pretty lights and hang a lighted star on the front door. Why do I do these things if I'm not Christian? As an insurance policy. I don't want the neighborhood kids tipping over my garbage cans and egging my car because they think I'm some sort of pagan. I don't want the devout Christians on the block to firebomb my house because I'm not one of them. So I play nice and blend in with the season. When I see them I say "Merry Christmas" and give them a card with a picture of the three wise men on their camels looking wistfully at the sky. Better safe than sorry, is what I say.
Kinda funny. I wonder how that falls into your neighbors views on WWJD? I can see it now, he'd walk down your street kick over your trash cans and call for a bonfire of your home. Doesn't quite sound like the Jesus in the bible, that they're thumping does it? But I'd be doing the same in your shoes...some of these 'fundamentalists' are crazy!!!

Old 12-18-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
The question then becomes - is Christmas a holiday? Yes it is, just like Channuka is a holiday for the Jews and Solstice (or Saturnalia) is a holiday for the Pagans and so on and so on. The point being that Christmas is not the 'only' holiday in this month.
Christmas is the only holiday recognized as a federal holiday this month. That makes it a holiday.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Kinda funny. I wonder how that falls into your neighbors views on WWJD? I can see it now, he'd walk down your street kick over your trash cans and call for a bonfire of your home. Doesn't quite sound like the Jesus in the bible, that they're thumping does it? But I'd be doing the same in your shoes...some of these 'fundamentalists' are crazy!!!
I live in Texas and there are many houses in my neighborhood whose occupants do not decorate their houses for Christmas. None of those homes have ever been targeted. I think fringe Christian lunatics like the Westboro Baptist Church are a minority.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:52 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Please explain. I merely want to maintain the status quo, many of you guys want to rewrite it.
And what are "we" rewriting? I remember being in charge of the Christmas card display in our home when I was around 10. Which meant I got to open each card as it came in the mail and decide where to put it in the display. Which also means I saw a LOT of cards every December. I would have to say that a third of the cards actually said "Merry Christmas". The rest were divided between "Happy Holidays", "Season's Greetings" and "Merry Xmas". And we're talking 50 years ago here! I can also tell you I don't remember going into a single store at that time and being either blasted with Christmas music or blinded by Christmas signs everywhere. No one started planning or even talking about Christmas until the day after Thanksgiving and not a single strand of lights or a single tree went up until then either. I remember neighbors who didn't put up a tree until Christmas Eve for cripes sake. So it seems to me that the 'status quo' you're blabbering about has already changed - and changed a LOT over the last fifty years or so.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:04 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
The point being that Christmas is not the 'only' holiday in this month.

I think everyone already knows that. We just want to be free to celebrate it and to say Merry Christmas, not to be told that we aren't supposed to SAY it as my husband was told.How is THAT depriving anyone else of their holidays?

Old 12-18-2010, 07:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The point being that Christmas is not the 'only' holiday in this month.

I think everyone already knows that. We just want to be free to celebrate it and to say Merry Christmas, not to be told that we aren't supposed to SAY it as my husband was told.How is THAT depriving anyone else of their holidays?
Whoever told you that you couldn't say Merry Christmas was totally rude and out of line and should be taken out back and shot.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:12 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Political correctness kills culture. In a liberal's perfect world, everybody would be rendered into nothingness and there would be no celebrations of any kind so that nobody would be offended by anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies