Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,204,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Yeah, and don't forget your driveway. No privacy there, either.
How cute. This is almost 2011 and you still think privacy exists.

I live in a city townhouse. Forget the driveway. You could see IN my home on google street view if I didn't have my blinds closed when the picture was taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

I live in a city townhouse. Forget the driveway. You could see IN my home on google street view if I didn't have my blinds closed when the picture was taken.
Some may think privacy exists. My dad worked for the government; I've known since the early 60's* our phones were tapped. I've never expected privacy.

*(Early 60's... a point in time, 20th century. Not my age at that time.)

Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
I hate smart phones and cell phones in general. I hate it when going by train and they all stare on their displays instead of talking to each other the way they used to before there were cell phones and the Walkman

Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post

Street View is not a big deal in terms of privacy. Those photos cover just a second or two, and then remain unchanged on the Web for years (no idea what the update interval is).

Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Normal users can't be expected to turn into IT nerds. They have more important things to spend their time and energy on, and naturally expect their devices to do just what they are supposed and advertised to do
Perfect example of what I am talking about. Nobody is asking you to understand the specifics of networking architecture, application oriented networking and security infrastructures.

What we are asking you to do is to read the damn starter guides on these devices you use. Be it the idiot who runs their wireless AP in unsecured mode right out of the box and then complains when people access their network and use their bandwidth or the moron who buys a full featured phone and simply downloads everything without reading about how their phone works and then complains about their private information being passed around, this is not requiring someone to be an expert or IT Nerd.

Frankly, I find it amusing how so many people are anti-intellectual these days. They don't think, they don't read, they don't educate themselves on anything. The "IT Nerd" argument is such an immature reference and an obvious cop out of ignorance.

If we lived many years ago when only those "IT nerds" and "Techies" had these devices, I might agree with you, but this is no longer the case. These devices are everywhere and involved in everything. Not taking the time to educate yourself on these devices is the height of irresponsibility and an obvious indication of laziness.

If you can't take the time to learn the basics to help yourself avoid the problems with these devices, then come to terms with the fact that you simply are not ready to use them. That or misuse them and pay the price. Asking the government to come in and regulate because people are too lazy to take a little bit of extra time to know what they are doing on the devices they use EVERYDAY is not simply foolish, but rather it is beyond stupid.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 AM

If there is a starter guide, fine, but the tricky details are often buried in the fat manual, which in some cases is not even written in a way an IT layman can understand (sometimes they are poorly translated from Chinese or Korean).

I never study manuals, no time, no interest. But I am realistic enough to know that a lot of people out there, including renowned companies, have bad intentions violating my interests. Thus I simply avoid modern devices wherever I can. I deliberately bought a stupid phone so to speak

Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
If there is a starter guide, fine, but the tricky details are often buried in the fat manual, which in some cases is not even written in a way an IT layman can understand (sometimes they are poorly translated from Chinese or Korean).
There is that, some manuals are very general, but many do give the basics as to what should be focused on. A lot of the issue is common sense concerning these devices anyway. People need to think about email, applications, etc... as a person you are letting into your home. We simply just don't open our door and let anyone waltz in without seeking the legitimacy of their visit and the details of such, but people click on emails, download apps, etc... all the time without even a second thought. People pass around application viruses, Trojan horses, etc... without even thinking about if they are safe.

Quote:
I never study manuals, no time, no interest. But I am realistic enough to know that a lot of people out there, including renowned companies, have bad intentions violating my interests. Thus I simply avoid modern devices wherever I can. I deliberately bought a stupid phone so to speak
That is fair though, as long as you realize that and take steps control your environment (using technology you do know or only willing to learn about) OR if you do use technology that you do not spend the time to learn about, but accept the consequences of such, then I know I personally have no issues at all.

The problem in this discussion was the OP wanting to regulate an area because they were unwilling to properly educate and implement the solutions needed to avoid their issue of contest. The problem and solution is entirely in their hands, but they want others to do it for them.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You mean... wouldn't it be better if we had a corrupt inept government bureaucracy instituting decisions on a technology that they are far too stupid to understand to which the result of their legislation simply adds more taxes, limitations, and regulations to the individual all the while never really achieving its main goal in the first place?

No thanks, if people want to protect themselves... read on the topic of security, take the steps to avoid such and be responsible for themselves. I don't need the government telling me what to do in an area that I am far more qualified than they to deal with.

If people are so worried about this and too lazy to educate themselves, then they can go without a flashy windows internet phone and simply use a very basic one for voice service. This is another example where a lethargic public is throwing away more of their freedoms because they are too dang lazy to be responsible themselves.
So, you approve of corporations not being held accountable and agree that they should have no respect for our right to privacy? I get it, you hate the government. But do you not get that corporations run the government? And here you're advocating that we protect ourselves from them by regulating ourselves instead of them. Corporations are not people. If anything should be subject to regulation, it's corporations. Freedom is for human beings, not pieces of paper.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
There is that, some manuals are very general, but many do give the basics as to what should be focused on. A lot of the issue is common sense concerning these devices anyway. People need to think about email, applications, etc... as a person you are letting into your home. We simply just don't open our door and let anyone waltz in without seeking the legitimacy of their visit and the details of such, but people click on emails, download apps, etc... all the time without even a second thought. People pass around application viruses, Trojan horses, etc... without even thinking about if they are safe.

That is fair though, as long as you realize that and take steps control your environment (using technology you do know or only willing to learn about) OR if you do use technology that you do not spend the time to learn about, but accept the consequences of such, then I know I personally have no issues at all.

The problem in this discussion was the OP wanting to regulate an area because they were unwilling to properly educate and implement the solutions needed to avoid their issue of contest. The problem and solution is entirely in their hands, but they want others to do it for them.
I guess if you did a survey among 1000 randomly selected people using smart phones and similar devices, 950+ will say they don't want any such use of their information, tracking etc. Thus I think it is OK to make a law prohibiting such use by default unless a user explicitly opts in.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
So, you approve of corporations not being held accountable and agree that they should have no respect for our right to privacy? I get it, you hate the government. But do you not get that corporations run the government? And here you're advocating that we protect ourselves from them by regulating ourselves instead of them. Corporations are not people. If anything should be subject to regulation, it's corporations. Freedom is for human beings, not pieces of paper.
Think long and hard about your reasoning.

You say:

Quote:
But do you not get that corporations run the government?
And yet you think:

Quote:
If anything should be subject to regulation, it's corporations.
So, corporations run the government and we are going to have government regulate them? /sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies