Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 12:04 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,156,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post

You're holding on to this idea because you want to, because you want to complain about something every time one of these articles is written about a terrorist threat. I have tried to explain to you that the threats aren't just fluff or just articles written to "scare" people, that they are real and if you choose to react to them or not, that is your business. But, don't start going on tangents about false flags or how the government or media is trying to scare people.
November 10, 2007: ’Suitcase Nukes’ Unlikely to Exist, Says FBI Official

November 8, 2007: FBI Warns Al-Qaeda May Strike Shopping Malls in LA and Chicago; Credibility of Threat Is Doubted

July 20, 2007: TSA Issues ‘Dry Run’ Terror Alerts Based on Bogus Information

June 2, 2007: Plot to Destroy New York Airport Considered Overhyped

May 2007 - November 26, 2007: Unfounded Warning of Terrorist and Drug Cartel Attack on Arizona Army Base

June 3, 2006: London Police Raid Seeks Chemical Device; None Found and Charges Dropped

October 6, 2005: New York Subway Terror Alert Is Reportedly Unnecessary

May 10, 2005: Ridge Reveals Internal Dissension on Terror Alerts
December 2004: Further Criticism of the Terror Alert System
August 1, 2004: Terror Alert Issued Using Old Information; Alleged to be Politically Motivated

August 2004: Criticism of the Homeland Security Terror Alert System

Richard Clarke says the Bush administration’s warning system is “a laughingstock”

July 8, 2004: Warning Issued that Terrorists May Plot to Disrupt US Presidential Elections
- Ridge will later concede that he had no “precise knowledge” of the attack he warned against

June 14-15, 2004: Somali Immigrant Charged with Ohio Mall Bomb Plot
Court papers filed by the government allege the existence of a plot from March 2000. His indictment isn’t announced until June 15, 2004, and it makes no mention of the shopping mall plot publicly announced the day before.

May 17-18, 2004: ******** Warns of ‘Immediate Attack’: Announcement Follows Bad News from Iraq -- During a May 16 interview on Meet the Press, Secretary of State Colin Powell is cut off by an aide while discussing misleading CIA information regarding WMD in Iraq. He admits that “it turned out that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and in some cases, deliberately misleading. And for that, I am disappointed and I regret it.”

April 28, 2004: Alleged Plotters in Rome Cyanide Bomb Plot Acquitted -- A map described as showing a water main near the US embassy in fact indicated a restaurant. Also, a hole found in a utility tunnel near the embassy turned out to be too small for anyone to pass through. No links to al-Qaeda were established

March 30-April 2, 2004: Terror Alert Warns of Al-Qaeda Attack on Trains and Buses in US
-- In the thousands of hours of monitored conversations, none of them mentioned anything about bombing the US (see Early 2003-April 6, 2004). One day prior to the first alert, Charles Duelfer, the chief weapons inspector in Iraq, informed Congress that no WMD have been found to date.

January 7, 2004: CIA Misinforms German Intelligence about Terror Plot -- German intelligence sources claim that the CIA misinformed them about an alleged terror plot due to take place at a Hamburg hospital on December 30, 2003, and allegedly fear that the information was planted.

December 21, 2003: FBI Compiles Massive Data on Las Vegas Tourists During Terror Alert
-- The FBI quickly assembles data on most of the 1 million “potential suspects,”

December 21, 2003: Fifth Nationwide Orange Alert Is Based on False Information -- The terror alert turns out to be baseless. The names identified as terrorists turn out to be a five-year-old boy, whose name had been mistaken for an alleged Tunisian terrorist, an elderly Chinese lady who used to run a restaurant in Paris, a Welsh insurance salesman, and three French nationals.

December 18, 2003: Two Unsubstantiated Reports of Terrorist Activity
-- Later, ABC News cites an anonymous intelligence source who warned of an “imminent credible threat” in Manhattan from a “woman suicide bomber.” This news causes the stock exchange to dip, despite a rapid denial by police

September 5, 2003: Homeland Security Warns Al-Qaeda Planning New US Attacks -- The advisory contains non-specific warnings about multiple attacks against “soft” targets in both the US and abroad. No such attacks occur.

May 20, 2003: Dubious Orange Alert Announced for Memorial Day -- Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge says there is no “credible, specific information” about targets or method of attack.” He does state that “weapons of mass destruction, including those containing chemical, biological or radiological agents or materials, cannot be discounted.”

March 17-18, 2003: FBI Alleges Al-Qaeda Likely to Attack to Help Saddam Hussein -- The attack claim is debunked by future CIA director Porter Goss, then the chair of the House intelligence committee. He states that there is no intelligence which suggests a new attack

March 17, 2003: Homeland Security Raises Threat Level, Advises Americans to Buy Duct Tape and Plastic Sheeting
David Ropeik of the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis says: “Ridge and the department need to come up with a better way of saying, ‘Be afraid.’ They say, ‘Be alert,’ and then out of the other side of their mouth they say, ‘Go about your normal lives.’

March 17, 2003: Ricin Scare in Paris is False Alarm

February 7-13, 2003: Orange Alert Causes Duct Tape and Plastic Sheeting Buying Panic -- CIA Director George Tenet calls the threat “the most specific we have seen” since 9/11 and says al-Qaeda may use a “radiological dispersal device, as well as poisons and chemicals.” ******** states that “this decision for an increased threat condition designation is based on specific intelligence received and analyzed by the full intelligence community. This information has been corroborated by multiple intelligence sources.”

Which of course later….The threat is debunked on February 13, when the main source is finally given an FBI polygraph and fails it. Two senior law enforcement officials in Washington and New York state that a key piece of information leading to the terror alerts was fabricated. The claim made by a captured al-Qaeda member regarding a “dirty bomb” threat to Washington, New York, or Florida had proven to be a product of his imagination.

The most credible, most analyzed and most scrutinized evidence for an attack on the United States since Sept. 11th turns out to be based on the imagination of one man.

January 7, 2003: British Officials Announce Discovery of Alleged Ricin Plot, but No Ricin Is Actually Found

December 27, 2002-January 1, 2003: Infiltration Story Based on Fabricated Information
The FBI realizes that the infiltration story had been fabricated by Hamdani and retracts the terror alert on New Year’s Day

November 9, 2002: Poison Attack on London Subway Is False Alarm

September 10, 2002: Threat Level Raised to Orange for First 9/11 Anniversary
Officials say there is no specific known threat against targets in the US

Ok, this is a small sampling of terrorist alerts and warnings we have witnessed in this country. You want to tell me that you know whether or not these threats are real or fluff? How many times do you think you can kick a dog before it either up and leaves or bites you?

Now I will give you this much, Obama has a far better record of threat alerts and capturing terrorist types in the US than Bush ever did, but this is still not a reason to be afraid.

You are welcome to live in fear, in fact it is probably a product America could export in massive abundance. I am not afraid, I do not fear, and tomorrow I'll go about my life much as yesterday and the day before. It is people who live in this constant state of fear who the terrorist have beaten, because that is what terrorism is and that is what terrorist do. I for one will not let them win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 12:06 AM

33,501 posts, read 37,016,233 times
Seems like a serious threat to me... Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,188,190 times
Quote:
Oh, and I don't think this is ever possible. It is not natural to walk around wondering and worrying about everything. It is not something that we as people do or we as a U.S. society do, so I do not think you have to worry about that. There have been many major threats, natural or created by man, in which we have continued on with our daily life. It could have been a biological threat such as swine flu, SARs (just to mention recent events) in which we had to overlook just to continue on with our daily life and to keep on working. We know the risks of these things, the ways that they could hurt us, but we keep on going about our lives because we have no choice.

The same is true and will continue to be true, I believe, about terrorist threats. We have to work, we don't sit in our homes, we have families to visit and we tend to be very brave people actually. Most people don't put their lives on hold in the face of threats. In London after the terrorist bombings in the subways and on the bus system, people were back on those buses and in those subways as they had to commute throughout the day.
But that isn't how it works for everyone. People are conditioned to accept small compromises in exchange. Slow creep of the taking of rights and the imposition of authority. After 9-11, people were so traumatised they agreed to change their way of life to go to a baseball game. And each new reactive security action at the airport has made it look like a ww2 movie to get on a plane. But it was one thing at a time. People get used to it and feel "safe" for a while until someone sets their underwear on fire and its time for the next step.

I agree, its not that we live in a perpetual sense of being afraid. People in situations where their lives ARE in perpetural fear of being over in a heartbeat don't either. But we have been giving up bit by bit things we should not. And remember, power feeds on itself. Set up someone with power and they want more. Build regulation on regulation. Justify act based on a previous act.

Remember when you just walked into the stadium? When the airport wasn't a police state? Is this not living in fear or simply adjusting to it by buying into the propaganda.

Not to say there isn't risk, but we mange it by spreading fear rather than looking for solutions. We have those in high places who see everyone as a potential terrorist and in the process compromise and destroy the freedoms we are suppost to be preserving. The whole means is badly done and by those who have a personal agenda. Don't buy into it? Refuse to go through the machine and you are now on a LIST. Because you stick up for your constitutional rights you are a potential terrorist.

I think the thing we most have to fear is giving away what we are so the bad guys in some cave can't take it from us, not even realizing that we have already let them win. Yes, by our actions we have LET the Terrorists WIN. Just like the coping which lets us not see how we compromise life daily we cope with this by not allowing ourselves to see it.

We are giving up and giving away our freedoms if we don't stop playing the game that the bad guys want us to lose when they won't need to feel as if they should destroy our way of life since we already have given it away.

Then, be very afraid...

Old 12-20-2010, 12:30 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Holy cow, there is an actual clinical name for it! ugh...

Interesting bit, I should read on this further.
Also called castrophising. It might go worng. It might happen. Be so worried you have to find a reason not to take the chance.

In psychology its a symptom of a disorder.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,275,465 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EO1V...eature=related

Old 12-20-2010, 01:58 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,821,880 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3yQqWNv91o

Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,473,338 times
Quote:
That has nothing to do with what is being said. It makes sense for law enforcement agencies to be on alert of "suspicious" activity. The way people such as yourself always react to any "bulletin" or "heads-up" about potential terrorist attacks is unfair. No one means to tell people to "stay in their home" or anything like that.

It's almost SELFISH the way in which you all try to mock the news of potential attacks. Why don't you tell the families of people who WERE in the wrong place at the wrong time that it is too much that they government sends out warnings?
What do you think we should do? Stay away from every place a terrorist might be? You do know, I hope, that would anywhere and everywhere.

Yes, some people are in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that's true of every day life and nothing to sweat over. You can step off the curb and be hit by a runaway truck you never saw coming, so does that mean you'll never step off a curb again just to be safe? Surely not.

Since we, personally, can't do anything to prevent a terrorist attack at any time and in any place, it becomes nothing more than an exercise in playing the odds and I promise you...the odds of being kicked to death by a rogue mule which comes into your house and attacks you in the living room is greater than the odds of being killed by a terrorist.

On my list of things to worry about, falling victim to a terrorist ranks way, way down there near the bottom.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:51 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,473,338 times
Quote:
Like I explained before, they are NOT general threats

Yeah...sounds pretty specific to me:

"The bulletin cites no specific threats for Christmas and New Year's...The document suggests that terrorists may consider public gatherings like "sporting events, parades, religious and cultural activities" to be attractive targets."

Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 AM

88,210 posts, read 84,094,155 times
It's just a CYA move. People are still moaning and whining that scant attention was paid to that memo in August of 2001 that suggested something vague about an attack with planes, so now any hint of anything is going to be put out there in case something does occur.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:57 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,275,465 times
It was based on a Google Infrared security surveillance tape of an attempt to raise global temperatures.

Fart Caught on Infrared Camera*Video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies