Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 04:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,636,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
So to you anything natural is good? or even good for you?
Nope. I never said.

Quote:
Natural is like change... it don't mean shine-ola in a world that lacks a stable environment regarding definitions.
Nonsensical and irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 04:29 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,636,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Did we need that many french speaking soldiers ? Give me a break......if you are a homosexual and you purposely join an orginization that you KNOW does not allow you to talk about or promote your particular brand of sex then dont whine cry and **** and moan about being a victim when you are ejected for doing just that. It was just that simple........I don't care what any one says this is going to have a detrimental effect on our Military.
You just don't get it, but it really doesn't matter in the long run because your view has lost, and there's no chance of it being implemented again.

Your question about needing French-speaking soldiers is silly. Obviously, the military thinks it's necessary to have foreign-language speakers. Otherwise, they wouldn't have enlisted them in the first place.

And rather than blather on with your stereotypes about gays speaking French, you should know that it was Arabic-language speakers who were kicked out. And yes, I'd say it's important to have Arabic-language speakers in the military considering where we're fighting our wars these days.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:45 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,805,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You just don't get it, but it really doesn't matter in the long run because your view has lost, and there's no chance of it being implemented again.

Your question about needing French-speaking soldiers is silly. Obviously, the military thinks it's necessary to have foreign-language speakers. Otherwise, they wouldn't have enlisted them in the first place.

And rather than blather on with your stereotypes about gays speaking French, you should know that it was Arabic-language speakers who were kicked out. And yes, I'd say it's important to have Arabic-language speakers in the military considering where we're fighting our wars these days.
just thought it interesting........ do homosexuals have a proclivity towards speaking foreign languages compared to driving tanks ,operating weapons systems, or playing in the band ?

Old 12-19-2010, 06:28 PM

563 posts, read 518,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Your scenario is very confusing. Are you speculating that if a known gay soldier gets hurt accidentally, that soldier or someone else will accuse another soldier of intentional harmful action due to bias?

Or are you speculating on cases of fragging, in which a known gay soldier will be targeted and harmed on purpose by a gay-hating soldier? (by the way, that's not called "having an accident.")

The first interpretation seems ludicrous. The second is one that very well could have argued when black troops were integrated into the military, as well. Was the reality of bigoted white soldiers who might harm a black soldier a reason for not integrating?

And if a soldier did kill or injure a gay soldier because they despised homosexuals, do you see some particular problem with charging them with a hate crime?
Didn't take long for the lefties to get all in an uproar and twist the statements. This is for all 3 that commented.

I never made mention of a "gay-hating soldier" as you put it causing harm on purpose by attack. My scenario was if they were in the field and there was fire going back and forth and a soldier who found it necessary to broadcast their preference is not saved by another soldier, will that soldier then be charged......Not if they shoot them or have a bash with them.

Let me repeat my stance so those in the cheap seats can hear or for those looking to twist words:

I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH GAYS AND LESBIANS SERVING IN THE MILITARY.

It does not need to be broadcasted.

Go ahead and think of a way to twist it around again.

When I worked for a company, they hired a new supervisor for my area. He felt the need to broadcast it that he was gay. I treated him the same as I did ALL of my co-workers. Then to assert his authority, he pulls me aside and starts in saying I don't like him because he is gay. Even though he was treated like I treated all my co-workers.

The military is not a place for people to get on a soapbox to prove a point. That is one heck of an important job, if not the most important one in this Country.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:42 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,417,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
Didn't take long for the lefties to get all in an uproar and twist the statements. This is for all 3 that commented.

I never made mention of a "gay-hating soldier" as you put it causing harm on purpose by attack. My scenario was if they were in the field and there was fire going back and forth and a soldier who found it necessary to broadcast their preference is not saved by another soldier, will that soldier then be charged......Not if they shoot them or have a bash with them.

Let me repeat my stance so those in the cheap seats can hear or for those looking to twist words:

Go ahead and think of a way to twist it around again.

When I worked for a company, they hired a new supervisor for my area. He felt the need to broadcast it that he was gay. I treated him the same as I did ALL of my co-workers. Then to assert his authority, he pulls me aside and starts in saying I don't like him because he is gay. Even though he was treated like I treated all my co-workers.

The military is not a place for people to get on a soapbox to prove a point. That is one heck of an important job, if not the most important one in this Country.
its not a soapbox to prove a point. Nor is it about broadcasting that someone is Gay. Its simply about being treated the same.

If a straight guy gets a birthday gift from his girlfriend and a gay guy gets a gift from their girlfriend. Why should the gay guy be kicked out of the Military for revealing who it was from when the straight guy would not get kicked out for revealing who it was from??

Old 12-19-2010, 07:03 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,292,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Now it's a matter of impementing the ban. I have two proposals. First allow any service member who doesn't want to serve with openly gay service members to request and receive an honorable discharge. It's only fair since their enlistment contract has been unilaterally altered by the government. They didn't bargain for this and they ought to be able to opt out. Freedom of choice, after all.

Secondly, and I believe someone else has already suggested this, gays should be treated as a separate gender and be segregated in their own living quarters. We don't have co-ed barracks. The same should apply to gays in the military.
Sexuality is complex. It's not like on one corner here are the straight guys, who are 100% hetero and would never even dream of doing something with a guy, then here's the gays who are definitely gay and out and love men.

Most people are actually somewhere in the middle... maybe 80% straight, 20% gay. Or vice versa. And we're not accounting for bisexuals, or closeted gays. Where do they bunk? What if a guy is the biggest gay in the world, but he acts masculine and nobody can tell, where should he bunk, we don't know right? I think these soldiers are already bunking with tons of gays and don't know it.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:11 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,216,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post

Well, excuse me, I wasn't trying to to put words in your mouth, I was trying to figure out what you meant, because what you wrote was poorly-written and convoluted.

You said:

Quote:
What happens if during war time that someone has a problem and someone is in danger and they turn their backs and something happens? I am not saying it is right, I am saying we all know there are many like that, and that person unfortunately has a bad accident or is fatal; will they now push to charge that soldier as a hate crime?
Seriously, your meaning was oblique to say the least... "someone has a problem". Who? "Someone is in danger". Who? "They turn their backs and something happens." Who turns their backs, and what happens, and who does it? Bad accident? Fatality? "That soldier" being accused of a hate crime?

I was trying to parse it, obviously I failed.

Quote:

Great. Now what makes you think it will be "broadcasted" any more than a straight soldier "broadcasting" his sexual preferences?

Quote:
The plural of anecdote is not "evidence".

Old 12-19-2010, 07:24 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,361,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Now it's a matter of impementing the ban. I have two proposals. First allow any service member who doesn't want to serve with openly gay service members to request and receive an honorable discharge. It's only fair since their enlistment contract has been unilaterally altered by the government. They didn't bargain for this and they ought to be able to opt out. Freedom of choice, after all.

Secondly, and I believe someone else has already suggested this, gays should be treated as a separate gender and be segregated in their own living quarters. We don't have co-ed barracks. The same should apply to gays in the military.
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Brilliant, common sense approach.
Ridiculous, childish approach.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,361,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
just thought it interesting........ do homosexuals have a proclivity towards speaking foreign languages compared to driving tanks ,operating weapons systems, or playing in the band ?
Apparently the answer is Yes.

Gay Brains Are Wired Differently Say Scientists

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...osite-sex.html

Old 12-19-2010, 08:18 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,981,382 times

Apparently to some, the brains are wired at different percentages...20% and up....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies