Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 01:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I certainly hope you are right about this but I don't see many remembering him positively for the Stimulus Act that seemed so good to the left at the time of its passing. Lets just hope that this doesn't screw things up, but lets wait and see what happens before we get too excited about how good this is.

I still think that this is just the first step toward the Feds trying to use it to force the states to give in on same sex marriage. We will have to wait several years for this to happen although many of the younger people don't respect we old people enough to even look at things like we do.
And, for the same reason as well: "if its good for some... ..." Roy... we are going to invade Iran any week now... North Korea is acting up... ... is this really the time to turn away people that actually want to be enlisted? Is it? And how long did you think Macy's was going to forgo all that revenue from LGBT gift registry accounts? Politicians are being hammered by Macy's, Lord and Taylor and Sak's Fifth Avenue to end the ban on same sex marriage. No, they definitely don't look at things the way you do.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 01:35 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am certainly glad to hear the good news. I am too old to remarry and I kind of like living with my wife so nobody better try to force that on me. However, I still see this move as the beginning of troubles tied to same sex marriage. I don't mind them living with each other but till you folks manage to wipe out the Christian belief concerning the sexes of people being married I will continue to be against that part of gay life.
I'm sorry, but did they ask for your approval specifically? Who said YOUR opinions even matter on the issue? You're allowed to hold any beliefs you choose... but to dictate the boundaries of their relationships (they can live together but not marry, etc) is totally self-righteous & beyond intrusive.

I'm not a huge fan of marriage in general, but would never have the audacity to say "You can live with each other, but I don't support you & your wife being married, since I don't personally agree with marriage. It's a sham that usually ends in divorce or infidelity, so I just think it needs to be outlawed." Wouldn't you tell me to shut up and mind my own business? Unbelievable the power-trips some people have.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:39 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Just read the article. It's a load of anti-gay crap. Pure garbage.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 12-20-2010 at 02:00 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_double_d View Post
As far as living arrangements, I don't see any need for it to change. I'm a straight female but my roommate in the barracks is a lesbian. I'm confident enough in my sexuality that I don't have any problem with this.
I'm so glad you contributed to this discussion! Maybe women in general are more mature about sexuality, but I'd like to think ALL of our soldiers - male, female, gay, straight, etc - are adult enough to behave themselves in mixed company. I bet half of the men here (maybe more) have showered beside a gay man at the gym, and didn't even know it. What, you mean they didn't get molested?! Wow, what a concept! I'm a straight woman, but it's not like I want to jump every man I encounter... lord no.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:45 AM

No, don't read the article, that would give Roy too much pleasure. I think he gets paid when people access the links he posts. He seems way over-invested in having people read his links.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:48 AM

I did think of one realistic question of logistics, in considering the issues on this thread... I wonder how they would handle a transgendered soldier? I'm sure that will come up eventually, now that they can serve openly, and I wonder what will happen? Should be interesting to see if/when that comes up! I know a few who might make good soldiers, so maybe I should urge them to enlist - hehe.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
No, don't read the article, that would give Roy too much pleasure. I think he gets paid when people access the links he posts. He seems way over-invested in having people read his links.
I rarely frequent P&OC these days (just bored right now), so I have no familiarity with the OP... but I will admit I never even clicked on the link! I got the gist of it from everyone's comments, so it really wasn't necessary to give that garbage any hits.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm a straight woman, but it's not like I want to jump every man I encounter... lord no.
You have to realize that this does not operate in the reverse right... ?? I am a straight man and I feel (felt... age has a lot to answer for) duty bound to jump every woman I encounter... whether I actually want to or not. Just saying...

H

Old 12-20-2010, 02:30 AM

91 posts, read 192,627 times
Quote:
Yep! My brother shared a room with a gay man in school, and still managed to maintain his heterosexuality - he's had the same beautiful girlfriend for almost 6 years now. So not only did he manage to avoid sexual contact with his roommate, they are still extremely close friends 10+ years later. We now call him our "brother from another mother," LOL.

Unless there's a mutual attraction or one is a rapist, there's no reason to believe gay & straight folks can't share a dorm... it's been happening for years and years already, in both the military & schools, so why is this going to change now? Just because they can serve openly, it doesn't mean they're going to start raping straight soldiers.
No it doesn't, but if they wanna play hide the sausage in he middle of the night they can without fear of being exiled, ergo roy's pointing out the question about separate quarters...
Male and female don't bunk together for obvious reasons, DADT was fine always the few gotta mess it up for the masses..

Originally Posted by gizmo980
I'm a straight woman, but it's not like I want to jump every man I encounter... lord no.

PS. really gizmo? no wonder I get slapped alot.. DANG

Last edited by rjb111; 12-20-2010 at 02:49 AM..

Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
I did think of one realistic question of logistics, in considering the issues on this thread... I wonder how they would handle a transgendered soldier? I'm sure that will come up eventually, now that they can serve openly, and I wonder what will happen? Should be interesting to see if/when that comes up! I know a few who might make good soldiers, so maybe I should urge them to enlist - hehe.
I don't know. That is not what DADT was addressing so if and when it ever happens it will be new territory and will be handled however the military sees fit. My personal feelings, not being an expert or anything, is that the physical (if post op or on hormones) and emotional stuff might just disqualify them. But what do I know. The military could be full of them already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies