Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:31 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Completely anecdotal, but it makes me wonder why we went thru so much trouble keeping the two sexes apart all these years.

There are plenty of men and women who can maintain their integrity and not break the rules, even if placed in compromising situations. There are plenty of others who would not be able to maintain, if they found themselves living and bathing with the opposite sex. Keeping the sexes apart removes temptation, and prevents normally good troops from crossing the line, and ruining their careers. It would be great if we could just say to hell with the whole idea of keeping the sexes separate, and just have one type of barracks and shower area. The truth is that we can't put young people with raging hormones in these easily compromised situations, point to the regulations and the UCMJ and say "Be nice, and follow the rules" and hope for the best.
True, but you're referring to what (I hope) is consensual sex... in the case of a gay man/woman bunking with a straight man/woman, I assume the non-interested party would say "no thanks." So once again, unless we're talking about rapists, I doubt housing gay & straight soldiers will lead to wild sex orgies. Or maybe it will - who knows??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Uh, wrong. We have one of the best militaries in the world because of technology, spending and the wonderful troops we have serving. Some of those wonderful troops are gay, and should be provided the same respect and dignity that the straight troops get. This would include not needing to hide your sexual orientation.

Thanks for your service, though.
Do you really think we would be able to allow women to serve in the military without the rules and regulations created after they entered service??

Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Excellent analysis, +1 for you!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
True, but you're referring to what (I hope) is consensual sex... in the case of a gay man/woman bunking with a straight man/woman, I assume the non-interested party would say "no thanks." So once again, unless we're talking about rapists, I doubt housing gay & straight soldiers will lead to wild sex orgies. Or maybe it will - who knows??
So the argument is gays have no sex drive, so its ok to bunk them together, but not so with straight men and women?

I'm kind of sick of people pushing the idea that gays have some kind of a switch in their heads, when it comes to controlling their actions, dealing with their hormones and sexual urges. As if - Gays never have bad relationships, bad break ups, love triangles, never suffer from envy or jealousy or feel jilted, never get unwelcome propositions from other gays. So we definitely wont have discipline problems from gays living and sleeping together and having sex in the barracks, its just straight men and women who are the problem, and need to be kept separated.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Signing anything makes it the President's in my estimation. He wanted tha law and he got it. Which of the military services has he or any of his White House people served in?

Actually, you make me happy telling me that you read only so far since that leaves me open to play the same game with lib posters.
Let's see - the Secretary of Defense, Robert Gates, served in the U.S. Air Force.
Admiral Mullen currently serves in the U.S. Navy.

Adm. Mullen: Repealing 'Don't ask, don't tell' is the 'right thing to do' - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Old 12-20-2010, 10:32 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
Muslim fanatics would be proud seeing the US moralists rage against mixing the sexes and letting opposite-sex or same-sex people share a room unsupervised.

Maybe we should leave the cabin door open to keep an eye on gay or opposite sex pilots.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Quote:
The president and Pelosi and Reid have never served either, and they make the opposite claims, does that aggravate you?

When the military says gays are not welcome, and if we discover you, we will kick you out, it does tend to put a tamper on their decision to join, and severely curtail their homosexual activities. If gays are aloud to serve openly, then more gays will join and they will not need to keep a low profile.

So teenage men and women will be put into the same rooms now,? Albeit as long as they both promise not to proposition each other, and really, really promise not to have sex.

We have been keeping women out of the men's barracks for centuries, and now you think the reasons why this has been military policy is no longer valid.

So your remedy is to toss men, women, gays, bisexuals together, in a compromising situation with co-ed rooms, tell them to obey regulations concerning sexual conduct, and simply punish the transgressors? Commanders want to eliminate any and all possible distractions and prevent situations which may negatively impact morale, discipline and good order, which is why they have always separated the sexes.

Once gays find out the Ednurse policy is in effect, where gays are permitted to sleep in the same rooms as other gays, I'm sure it will be a good recruiting tool. I'm not gay, but I can think of a few guys that would love to sleep and shower in the barracks room as a couple of your hot women. Yeah, I'm sure this will go over just fine, and without a hitch.
My friend in the Air Force once told me his room mate was gay.
I'm like, "How do you know?' and he's like, "well, I come into the room sometimes and he's on the bed sitting by another dude" and i'm like 'well, maybe there's an answer for that...maybe they were playing a video game and suddenly stopped right before you came in" and he's like '''Yeah, that's posssible, but they were sitting REALLY close." and I'm like, "Well, maybe he is gay, who knows?" and he's like, "yeah".

So then i asked if I could use his room mate's PC to surf the net for a while and being the inquisitive jackass I am, I took a look at his room mate's pictures, particularly some in a folder caleld "Party".

It was 5 dudes....and they were having a ..*cough* party and his roomate was wearing a inflated balloon as a hat. I'll say no more.

I looked over at my friend and said, "Dude, your roommate is totally gay."
And he said, "yeah, I thought so." and then we beat his roommate up.

That's what some would like to see. Because some people think you can beat a gay person straight. Actually, I never mentioned it to his room mate and my friend didn't either. What was I gonna say, :yo, i was looking at your pictures and I see that you are gay." and then what? I guess I could've ratted him out and we'd have lost a good soldier.

Who wants to lose a good soldier?

Oh yeah, my friend was totally raped by his room mate, too.
GOTCHA, no. No he wasn't.

IF you think this is bad, just wait til they try to bring in the Blacks. If you think that will go off without a hitch, and be just fine, think again. It WILL NEVER WORK. There's a reason they aren't part of the service. It's simply unworkable.

"What?"

Old 12-20-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
My friend in the Air Force once told me his room mate was gay.
I'm like, "How do you know?' and he's like, "well, I come into the room sometimes and he's on the bed sitting by another dude" and i'm like 'well, maybe there's an answer for that...maybe they were playing a video game and suddenly stopped right before you came in" and he's like '''Yeah, that's posssible, but they were sitting REALLY close." and I'm like, "Well, maybe he is gay, who knows?" and he's like, "yeah".

So then i asked if I could use his room mate's PC to surf the net for a while and being the inquisitive jackass I am, I took a look at his room mate's pictures, particularly some in a folder caleld "Party".

It was 5 dudes....and they were having a ..*cough* party and his roomate was wearing a inflated balloon as a hat. I'll say no more.

I looked over at my friend and said, "Dude, your roommate is totally gay."
And he said, "yeah, I thought so." and then we beat his roommate up.

That's what some would like to see. Because some people think you can beat a gay person straight. Actually, I never mentioned it to his room mate and my friend didn't either. What was I gonna say, :yo, i was looking at your pictures and I see that you are gay." and then what? I guess I could've ratted him out and we'd have lost a good soldier.

Who wants to lose a good soldier?

Oh yeah, my friend was totally raped by his room mate, too.
GOTCHA, no. No he wasn't.

IF you think this is bad, just wait til they try to bring in the Blacks. If you think that will go off without a hitch, and be just fine, think again. It WILL NEVER WORK. There's a reason they aren't part of the service. It's simply unworkable.

"What?"
So.... women and men can room together now?

i knew men who could not live in the same room with some guys, and women who could not be roommates with some women, because they did not get along at all. Then i knew some WMs I looked upon like a sister, and we could have been roommates, and prob never had a problem. But all this anecdotal information does not change the fact that allowing opposite sexes to live and bath together is not a good idea for the US military.

I'll say it again, if you stick with these threads long enough, they always end up the same, with some people saying we should end segmenting men from women, and allow co-ed rooms, and/or gays and lesbians all get along, are incapable of violating regulations, and they have no sex drive at all.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
So the argument is gays have no sex drive, so its ok to bunk them together, but not so with straight men and women?
What?? No, that's not at ALL what I was saying! I thought you were talking about "mixed" dorms, as in housing straight & gay men (or women) together in one... I meant that a gay soldier won't have sex with a straight soldier of the same sex, just because they're sleeping near each other. Now do you understand? I guess we were discussing different issues, LOL.

As for the gay soldiers having sex with each other, and straight soldiers of opposite sex doing it too... I guess the truly desperate would find a way regardless, even if housing is separated into FIVE categories. People have urges, gay or straight, male or female, and just have to control them in any housing situation. It's the military, after all, not Club Med!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:48 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDASpaceman View Post
I counted only four ?'s:

1. What happens to housing, on base and in theater? ANSWER: Nothing
2. Do you expect the military system or the civilian courts to deal with the influx of phony sexual harassment cases to follow? ANSWER: Yes, just like the enormous hetero complaints!
3. Will base commanders be required to host "pride" events that allow for similar conduct to the x-rated displays that go on in the nation's cities each year? ANSWER: No...and yes, the base theaters showed "Broke Back Mountain".
4. Will all other sexual conduct be made legal as well? What other sexual conduct are you talking about? There is straight sex...and gay sex...is there another kind?

I served in every conflict since Panama, three tours in Iraq and everything in between. 26 years of service and still employed by DOD. This is a non-issue for the overwhelming majority of troops.
It's over. Nothing to see here...move along. We've got bigger issues to deal with in our Military...like losing in Afghanistan.
Good answers except for #2. I do believe that there will be increased sexual harassment charges. NO, you are wrong about hetero complaints, -- there are not that many in the military (a few, but not many). And, any allegations should be held in military systems. Why should the military allow outside courts to take over gay crimes? The military has always handled their own laws. there should be NO changes

Also, if sodomy is illegal in the military then it is illegal. Gays should not get a free pass. Lets see how many want to serve now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies