Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
kay, now ya got me all askeer'd, I'm a shakin' in my boots.

So, which fact do you need straight?

1. It's winter.
2. It snows in winter.
3. It's winter in the Northern Hemisphere
4. It's snowing in Minnesota
5. It's snowing in England
6. England is in a higher latitude than Minnesota
7. It's still snowing in both places cause it's cold (aka winter)
8. Butterfly farts don't cause snow or heat waves

(Hey, you do know we're on the same page, right?)
Oversimple as per usual. Actually it has not snowed very much in Western Europe in my lifetime. Why not? Because of a thing called the Gulf Stream. The Gulf Stream carries warm water from... the Gulf of Mexico north and east across the Atlantic and keeps Western Europe from experiencing weather as cold as a landlocked latitude as far north in America or Eastern Europe. Heat flows from hot to cold. When cold is no longer as cold, heat does not flow because the differential is not great enough to cause as much of a flow. This in fact makes the warmer cold area even colder. The breakdown of the Gulf Stream has been modeled by climatologists and I was reading about it years before now. Everything you said above is either criminally oversimple or just plain wrong.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 12:35 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Here's is why we should believe the deny'ers and not believe the alarmists. I'm 41 years old. Here are the things the alarmists have siad was gonna happen or was gonna be a whole lot worse than it really was:

Overpopulation
Global Cooling
Love Canal
Exxon Valdez
Three Mile Island
Chernobyl
Acid Rain
Kuwati Oil Fires
S.A.R.S.
Swine Flu
Killer Bees from Mexico
AIDS
Ozone Layer
No more rain forests
Water shortages
Food shortages
Red Dye #2
No more room in the landfills (anyone else remember that barge full of trash in Jersey in the 80s? LOLs)
BP oil spill
Numerous animal extinctions
New Ice Age
Nuclear Winter
Desertification

The GW crowd has been wrong about everyone of these. The deny'ers have been corrrect about them all. Yet, we are supposed to stop driving SUVs because the people that have been wrong about everything else are all of a sudden right now. LOLS.

Read the "Population Bomb" by Paul Erlich. Then change the word population to global warming. Exact same results and and exact same predictions. LMAO. You all couldn't even be original in your quest for Big Brother type powers over humanity. Because that's what the environmental crowd is really about. Total control over humanity.

By the way, that list is just what I came up with off the top of my head. Anyone can fell free to add more. I'm sure there are literally hundreds of more predictions the global warming crowd was wrong about.
??? Wrong? About Love Canal? Have you tried buying a house there lately? Ditto Chernobyl, do you know something I don't, have they re-opened the area to human settlement? What are you talking about? I've seen some half-baked posts in P&OC but you are operating in uncharted territory for eliciting mass hysteria... the bust a gut laughing kind. You give the deny'er movement a bad name. Just stop. Please.

H (btw, the BP spill, since you don't seem to know... when stuff is in the ocean... like plastic bags... it gets blasted by the sun... ever see those magazines in store windows... after a few years in a sunny window you can't even tell what issue it is... now add waves to that. The plastic bags that are collecting in these huge floating islands in the Pacific aren't much good for shopping. It is more like a soup of plastic material. Tiny, tiny pieces of plastic bag. If the sun and surf can do that to a plastic bag what do you imagine it did to the oil. Yes, it beat it into the most toxic salad dressing money can buy. And you are eating it. So am I. So are your kids if you have any. If you are overweight or if you have breasts it will collect in the fatty tissues of your body. A 41 year old might die of something else before a critical level is reached but a 4 year old likely will not. The BP oil will begin killing Americans in 20 to 50 years and you can write that off as another GW crowd nutter prediction. But that's where the oil went, just so you know.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
get with the program, it's not global warming, it's climate change! b ut hey, congress is now debating net neutrality so no matter how damning the evidence against this nonsense, in time we'll never know! we'll have to rely on the talking heads in the mainstream media
The weather is cyclical, which means that some years (sometimes more than 1 year) are warmer than average, and some are colder. To say that a warmer than average year is "climate change" is ridiculous. I'd say that we need a solid 15+ years of above (or below) normal temps for this up (or down) trend to be considered the "new normal" (i.e. climate change)

Look at hurricanes: We can go back 60 years to see that the number and intensity trends of hurricanes in the Atlantic basin. You don't have to have a great imagination, or a meteorology degree to see a cyclical trend over that time. There seems to be a 15 year up swing, and then a 15 year down swing. It is no coincidence that the upswing started in the late 90's when the global warming alarmists started scaring people. All indications are that we are at the end of the upswing, and we should be going into a lull for approx the next 15 years. ** it is possible that we could have a busy hurricane season during a downward trend, or a less than normal year in an upward trend... It is a trend, not a guarantee.

**I don't know which side you are on... I am posting this as a general response to the overall global warming/climate change topic ** No offense intended

Old 12-21-2010, 01:14 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times

Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
??? Wrong? About Love Canal? Have you tried buying a house there lately? Ditto Chernobyl, do you know something I don't, have they re-opened the area to human settlement? What are you talking about? I've seen some half-baked posts in P&OC but you are operating in uncharted territory for eliciting mass hysteria... the bust a gut laughing kind. You give the deny'er movement a bad name. Just stop. Please.

H (btw, the BP spill, since you don't seem to know... when stuff is in the ocean... like plastic bags... it gets blasted by the sun... ever see those magazines in store windows... after a few years in a sunny window you can't even tell what issue it is... now add waves to that. The plastic bags that are collecting in these huge floating islands in the Pacific aren't much good for shopping. It is more like a soup of plastic material. Tiny, tiny pieces of plastic bag. If the sun and surf can do that to a plastic bag what do you imagine it did to the oil. Yes, it beat it into the most toxic salad dressing money can buy. And you are eating it. So am I. So are your kids if you have any. If you are overweight or if you have breasts it will collect in the fatty tissues of your body. A 41 year old might die of something else before a critical level is reached but a 4 year old likely will not. The BP oil will begin killing Americans in 20 to 50 years and you can write that off as another GW crowd nutter prediction. But that's where the oil went, just so you know.
Apparently you read what you wanted to in my post. I said that even though some of those things did happen they weren't as bad as predicted.

Just stop, please. You are giving the GW crowd a bad name.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM

446 posts, read 649,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I keep hearing people say that global warming will cause certain areas to cool. OK I can buy that. Could someone please explain then why every freaking place on the globe seems to be experiencing more cold?
What season is almost here again? Hint: it rhymes with "splinter".

But seriously, just because there are cold snaps does not change the fact that the average temperature of the planet is going up. Regional cold snaps do not mean there is no global warming. There are areas that are getting intense HEAT too, in the local summers.

Global warming does not mean the end of cold. It just means less of it, but more intense weather when it DOES get cold...

Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post

But seriously, just because there are cold snaps does not change the fact that the average temperature of the planet is going up. Regional cold snaps do not mean there is no global warming. There are areas that are getting intense HEAT too, in the local summers.

Global warming does not mean the end of cold. It just means less of it, but more intense weather when it DOES get cold...
In other words:

If it's cold it is because of SUVs.

If it's warm it is because of SUVs.

If it's mild it is because of SUVs.

If it rains it is because of SUVs.

If it's sunny it is because of SUVs.

If it's windy it is because of SUVs.

If it's calm it is because of SUVs.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:55 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post

How do we compare the current global temperature to the global average temp in 1236 BC? Or 1402 AD? We can't! It is not legit to claim global warming when you only compare recent trends... and cherry pick the data that you use.
42.7% of all statistics are just made up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies