Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:10 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

'Creative spelling', that's a good one, sounds almost farcical...or maybe the teacher was just trying to be nice. As long as she made the kid know the word was still wrong and he still needed to learn it right. Back when I was in school teacher's still praised effort, but they still gave us crosses and didn't reward failure.

What I also don't like is those who try to take the competition out of sport or the classroom for fear it will give kids low self-esteem. Successful competition can raise self-esteem, as long as you realise life is not all competition and that your self-value doesn't rely on competition (and that winners are not better than losers). Friendly competition in sports was one of my fondest and most enjoyable memory of school.

Most people very much DO believe in moral absolutes whether they say it or not. Some people think of ten commandments because God says so thought of things, but I truly believe they're all imprinted on all our hearts by God. If not God than something else, because I believe they're very real. Even if they're 'relative' they have worked for society and eroding them will be bad for us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
You clearly don't grasp Libertarianism. None of us believe "it's all about me."

Really, you can't sum up a whole philosophy with a dictionary definition or even an encyclopedia page. You need to read the literature that stimulated and furthered the movement.

Plus the word "postmodern" can be used the way you say but "Postmodernism" (think of it with a capital P) is the whole philosophy we're talking about here.

I might like a band with a postmodern sound, but I can disagree with the primary assertions of Postmodernism. Different concepts here.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,547,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Well, if you ask me, I say we oughta crush the intolerant!
You are entirely too intolerant of the intolerant.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Yes, technically speaking, the term "postmodern" is mainly an artistic and pop cultural reference, but it's been "re-interpreted" in recent years by the Right, those tireless soldiers in Karl Rove's "culture wars", who are now using it to replace "moral relativism" as a catch-all for everything they think is evenly vaguely "Progressive" (aka, their new new "dirty word" for "Liberals").
No, you are very wrong. In Architecture school I was taught at great length about the postmodern movement. It is very much a philosophical viewpoint. The postmodern arts was a response to the movement, not the other way around.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
"every opinion is valid, except the opinion that others' opinions are not."

Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
"every opinion is valid, except the opinion that others' opinions are not."
Even the opinion that pedophilia is okay?
How about the opinion that all abortion clinics should be bombed and abortion doctors should be murdered?
What about the opinion that the Jews should have been wiped out.
Maybe it's okay to have the opinion that the White race is the only true race and all of the other races should be enslaved.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartalx View Post
How about the opinion that all abortion clinics should be bombed and abortion doctors should be murdered?
Maybe it's okay to have the opinion that the White race is the only true race and all of the other races should be enslaved.
according to postmodernists, yes lol.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,222,939 times
Quote:
No, you are very wrong. In Architecture school I was taught at great length about the postmodern movement. It is very much a philosophical viewpoint. The postmodern arts was a response to the movement, not the other way around.
Correction.

Quote:
The term was first used around the 1870s in various areas. For example, John Watkins Chapman avowed "a Postmodern style of painting" to get beyond French Impressionism ...
In 1949 the term was used to describe a dissatisfaction with modern architecture, leading to the postmodern architecture movement.
Source.

You may have studied architecture but do you know anything about art history? History likes to generally generalize movements in time periods but you should know as well that there are ideas that are independent of the given time period, for the most part, and artists who stand independent through the popularity of whatever movement.

I'm not trying to be disparaging but I will admit that I'm not familiar with architectural history as much as I am with art history so I am open to being corrected.

As to the OP, interesting but jumbled in using certain terminology; Postmodernism is much more than what you're trying to articulate, therefore I opted not to participate other than correcting the tidbit above.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:33 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
You are correct. As I stated in an earlier post, there is such a thing as good and evil, truth and falsehood. What Pol Pot did was pure villiany and there was no justification for it; nor can we deny the life and works of Helen Keller are praiseworthy and marvelous.

There are shades of gray in other areas, though. The controversial topics of today include things like abortion, global warming, free enterprise versus government regulation, gay rights, public education, etc. There are a lot of logical arguments that can be made on different sides. On most of the everyday problems and challenges of life there will never be total consensus or agreement.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Correction.

Source.
I'm not too sure if Wikipedia is the most credible source. Even so it supports the notion that postmodernism is a societal movement, not just an artistic one.

Did you think that perhaps there are in fact 3 postmodern ideas (art, architecture, philosophy) all related? They all came out of the post-modern philosophical movement.

Quote:
You may have studied architecture but do you know anything about art history? History likes to generally generalize movements in time periods but you should know as well that there are ideas that are independent of the given time period, for the most part, and artists who stand independent through the popularity of whatever movement.
Sure, much of the elite Architects still find Postmodern architecture... uh... childish and modern architecture to be sophisticated and pure. In my school for example we were taught the beauty and honesty of modernism and about the phoniness of the postmodern approach to Architecture.
Quote:
I'm not trying to be disparaging but I will admit that I'm not familiar with architectural history as much as I am with art history so I am open to being corrected.
I think it's clear, even while reading the post-modern article on Wikipedia that post-modernism was a societal response to modernism. It wasn't just limited to the arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies