Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:45 PM

35 posts, read 61,408 times

Advertisements

“The attempt to regulate, control, and prescribe all manner of conduct and social relations is very old. It was always the practice of primitive peoples.”

-- Calvin Coolidge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Your continued attempts to try and rationalize your nicotine addiction, be it your health, odor, or the detrimental effects your smoking has on others, are the classic signs of an addict in denial.

Why don't you do yourself and your loved ones a favor and make a real effort to quit?
My Christmas wish for you is that you get a life.

Do you realize that some people actually enjoy life? Some people enjoy their choices? And enjoy the freedom to make choices? Some people don't try to live a life whose only objective is to be healthy. Some people are intelligent enough to decide if the enjoyment of an activity is worth the risk.

And BTW, not everyone who smokes is addicted.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Quote:

rjb111, how about we have cocktails and talk about our drinking problem.

Count me in !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
.... Does secondhand smoke directly effect the health of others who are exposed? Yes.

Smoking is a disgusting habit. Comparing talking on a cell phone while driving to inhaling rat poison and tar is outrageous. Please don't try to justify smoking by using asinine analogies.

You are incorrect. The health impact of secondhand smoke is highly overblown.

And you are also incorrect on the analogies. Most people make decisions throughout their life that may impact their health. It would be a very boring person who never enjoyed life's activities that have some element of risk.

Have you ever taken a ride in the country, just to enjoy the ride? If so, you increased your health risk. You traded higher health risks for an enjoyable activity. It happens all the time. Smoking is no different.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
My Christmas wish for you is that you get a life.

Do you realize that some people actually enjoy life? Some people enjoy their choices? And enjoy the freedom to make choices? Some people don't try to live a life whose only objective is to be healthy. Some people are intelligent enough to decide if the enjoyment of an activity is worth the risk.

And BTW, not everyone who smokes is addicted.
I don't care what you do. Your choice. Just keep your carcinogens out of my face and we won't have a problem. Your rights, to enjoy a product that is hazardous to my health, end where mine begin.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:05 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No attitude View Post
Smoking is such a disgusting habit by itself but when I see people throwing their butts out of their vehicles or just on the ground it really annoys me.Their is no excuse or defense for it,the enviroment is not an ashtray.Their should be a minimum $100 fine to enforce to help stop people from doing it,it could be a good revenue generator and the money could go towards helping prevent young people from smoking.Smokers should have no rights and public smoking should be banned as well and the same fine for smoking in public.If they want to continue their bad habit smokers should be responsible and use an ashtray and keep it to yourself. Yes, good people can have bad habits like smoking and most people know one but it is time for smokers to be responsible for their poison. It can only help, and i'm tired of seeing people litter with their cancer butts.
Well, smoking is a nasty habit, though with all due respect, I think you're getting over-emotional about it.

As some old dude (near 60), I once proudly smoked. It was a cool habit, once upon a time. Casual friends, and even strangers, would ask one another for a cigarette, as though everyone was a smoker... and a large percentage of the population did smoke. The term "second-hand smoke" was unknown, as were its effects. People smoked cigars and cigarettes everywhere. Folks would have ashtrays on their desk at work. You could see a mother on a park bench, a cigarette dangling from her lips, giving her baby a nursing bottle.

In fact, I look at social smoking as an example of how the American culture can change in a relatively short period of time. The rather speedy demise of smoking actually gives me hope that we can change our negative habits, no matter what they may be.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:16 PM

31 posts, read 17,023 times
Default Only losers are offended by a man having a cigarette in a bar or at the bowling alley

What makes me laugh is the same people who want to ban tobacco want to legalize marijuana. Ask any stoner the ritual after partaking is a cigarette afterward because it feels better that way. This whole only 25% or less of Americans smoke is more BS. A large number of people smoke when they drink or partake of cannibas. FACT. They may not smoke at other times because contrary to what you have heard in our not every person who smokes is addicted to smoking. Yes Virginia some people may smoke and never be addicted. I would say if you count all the non smoking men who enjoy a cigar in Vegas at the poker table that is about 40% of Americans who are smokers. It is just recreational smoking is not counted in those numbers just those with habits.

All I know is I havent been to a bar since smoking was ended. As I do not drink usually if I cannot have a cigarette when I am sitting at the bar the bar becomes boring. When Ohio passed the idiotic full smoking ban because people mixed up issues 4 and 5 most of the bars around are closing or have no business. We had a large bowling alley here very famous that shut down because after the smoking ban most of the hardcore bowlers couldnt bowl anymore because they liked to have a cigarette while they bowled.

No wonder we elected Obama. Americans are MORONS. Bring on the NANNY STATE and SOYLENT GREEN with the Death Panels. Its here folks.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-23-2010 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: ethnic slur

Old 12-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sateri View Post
“The attempt to regulate, control, and prescribe all manner of conduct and social relations is very old. It was always the practice of primitive peoples.”

-- Calvin Coolidge

Good quote. We must be living with lots of "primitive peoples" in this country.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Good quote. We must be living with lots of "primitive peoples" in this country.
I thought the same thing when I read that quote!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:18 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Your rights, to enjoy a product that is hazardous to my health, end where mine begin.
Even in bowling alleys, bars, and any other place where your expelled smoke full of carcinogens reaches my olfactory apparatus.

In other words, your freedom ends where my nose begins.

I might just start bowling again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies